It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movers, deputies *refuse* to evict 103-year-old woman

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

ATLANTA, Ga. — A 103-year-old woman and her 83-year-old daughter were just moments from being evicted from their home Tuesday, when sheriff's deputies and the moving company hired by the bank decided not to go through with the action.

More: www.wsbtv.com...

I post this story for two reasons. First, I like a feel good story - it seems MSM is all doom and gloom all the time. And as we enter another political campaign season, we'll get bombarded with more lies, broken promises and just plain old BS from each candidate. So this story makes me smile, as its a rarity in the news.

Second, as you read the article it ends with Chase Bank not accepting their mortgage payments. We don't have the details as to why Chase is not taking their money, but whatever those reasons are, I applaud the police and the movers for not carrying out the bank's orders, and evicting this old woman.

Lastly, talk about the convoluted US housing mess. Duestche Bank owns the loan but Chase Bank services it? So, both banks get a cut of her payments?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
After all the negativity that fills the news as of late, it's nice to see a story like this.

I also applaud the police & the moving company.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing as this sheds a little hope in the blight of society. In the end we have to stick together as communities and say no more! Right on to the movers and deputies as well as others standing up for her.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadys321
After all the negativity that fills the news as of late, it's nice to see a story like this.

I also applaud the police & the moving company.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88

Second, as you read the article it ends with Chase Bank not accepting their mortgage payments. We don't have the details as to why Chase is not taking their money, but whatever those reasons are, I applaud the police and the movers for not carrying out the bank's orders, and evicting this old woman.

It could be because if she was behind in the payments, at a certain point the bank will demand to be brought current. If the account cannot be brought current they refuse the payment. Also, if the payment she was trying to make was not the correct amount they can and will refuse payment if not the full payment. The banks do not believe that something is better than nothing.

Been there done that.
edit on 30-11-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Ok....so the movers refused to move them...and the Sheriff's left and wouldn't force them to leave...I applaud them...however that still leaves the bank...and they are still after the woman and her daughter. I just hope and pray that they have a good lawyer....and all the legal aspects of this...are resolved in their favor.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Thanks for the insight. A friend of mine found herself in a mess like that, her payments were off by a few cents and the banks took the checks, but never cashed them and also never alerted her that the payments were slightly off. Long story short, she got served with an eviction notice in-person and in the local paper, but fought it in court and won the case.

Edit: I fully understand the law, is the law, is the law. But flexibility, compassion, and understanding of dynamic situations are required when dealing with someone's home, and the prospect of them losing it. There needs to be more gray areas to protect homeowners. It's a good thing the police and movers all exercised proper judgment.
edit on 30-11-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Thank you for that Jason88. Between this story and the puppies playing in the grass for the first time, this crusty old Jarhead has shed a couple of tears himself. I must be getting soft in my old age.

Channel 2's Ryan Young was there when the family started thanking God for the miracle. At just three weeks shy of her 104th birthday, Vita Lee has shared her home on Penelope Road in Northwest Atlanta with her daughter for 53 years. "I love it. It's a mansion," Lee said about her house. Fulton County sheriff's deputies and movers showed up at Lee's home Tuesday after Deutsche Bank planned to kick the two women out. The moving company and the deputies took one look at Lee and decided that would not happen. "I saw the sheriffs, who came to put them out, take off and leave. I gave all glory to God," community activist Michael Langford said.

As it should be.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
We need more good news(good as in she is still in her home) like this not lies and junk like I hear everyday here on ats.Banks need to let people live in empty houses so the houses don't rot and people stay warm. Thank-you very nice.peace out...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Good on those guys I say.
Who would be so nasty as to even try to kick out a lady of that age?
Oh yes,the loving banks of course.

We are mere numbers on a screen to them,less than cattle even.
Going well this "civilization" thing isn't it?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

What is the banks course of action now? That has been a thought in the back of mind on how the banks will react if the legal system quits supporting the banks.

Do they hire a private goon squad to come and evict her? If a private goon squad is what is next on the available tactics, that could start getting messy. I mean, from the banks perspective, if the court system will not do it, then what other option would the banks have to take possession of the property. If the bank hired someone to come in and evict her, I think I would have to seek this lady out and put myself between her and the goons.

Kind of points out that possession is 9/10ths of the law.
edit on 30-11-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus...

Sometimes, just sometimes, people surprise me in a really good/big way and I'm hopeful.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
well now i know what you need to be in order to be judged by you guys as a ooo we should be nice to them.
103 years old .
what is the difference between 103 and 83 and 53 and 33 and 23 if i may ask? why is it you guys all flip out when its a 33 year old saying they have troubles paying and shouldn't have to leave but when its a 103 year old hey dont pay no problem?
after all this woman had a 103 YEARS to pay off this home if she couldn't do it in that time why the pity party?
just asking because you all say I am a loser because of the economy and would just love to finish me off instead of giving me a job

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Chase Bank?

The ones with the poorly concealed swastika as a logo?

I would stay far away from Chase.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

No one is saying the entire system isn't jacked up and people aren't getting evicted fronm their homes unfairly - we're just saying that, for once, it's nice to see society showing a little compassion.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

How can you still owe on your house at that age..

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Thanks for posting.. It is good to see some positive news, so to speak, for a change. I did want to touch on one topic though - Evictions and law enforcement.

All states have laws dealing with evictions. However, not all states require the use of Sheriff's Deputies. In Michigan for example they also have whats called a court officer. They are non law enforcement who works for the courts to enforce civil judgments, including evictions. They have some of the same protections as law enforcement (obstruction etc) but work solely for the court system. They are in no way shape or form part of law enforcement.

If you read about a person being evicted please take some extra time to figure out if it was law enforcement or a court officer.

Just wanted to point that out.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

We've already got the private goon squad with military contractors, who's to stay when these wars end (if ever) that thousands of these folks don't migrate to "police contractors"?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

The bright side to this is that they would be average citizens, just like everyone else. They would not have any legal authority, so they would be held accountable for their actions. This is a gray area, but one I do not think the banks could ultimately win if they went as far as hiring contractors.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
well now i know what you need to be in order to be judged by you guys as a ooo we should be nice to them.
103 years old .
what is the difference between 103 and 83 and 53 and 33 and 23 if i may ask? why is it you guys all flip out when its a 33 year old saying they have troubles paying and shouldn't have to leave but when its a 103 year old hey dont pay no problem?
after all this woman had a 103 YEARS to pay off this home if she couldn't do it in that time why the pity party?
just asking because you all say I am a loser because of the economy and would just love to finish me off instead of giving me a job

This lady came from a different world from us-read what life was like in the time of your great grandmother.
You may learn something good.
The "economy"meant a lot less in those days friend,and it only means more today because we are being conned in a more sophisticated manner via the media.
Do not buy the garbage you are being hit with.
Good luck!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join