It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mega 'Pastor' Joel Osteen Gets Primetime Reality TV Show

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Story Here

More than 10 million viewers tune in each week to mega-Pastor Joel Osteen’s television broadcast. And now, even more people may watching the faith leader, as a primetime television series is in the works.

On Tuesday, TMZ reported that Osteen, the pastor of Lakewood Church in Houston Texas, will be teaming up with “Survivor” producer Mark Burnett for a prime-time network television show in 2o12. According to the Houston Chronicle, a spokesperson for the church has confirmed that a program is currently in development.

Burnett told TMZ that the show will center upon ordinary people giving up several days or longer to go on a “mission” with the faith leader. While this may conjure images of Osteen and company traveling abroad to partake in missionary activities, the trips will apparently be confined to the United States.

Seriously? This Osteen fella' is getting a PRIMETIME reality TV show? I knew reality TV sucked and all, so I guess this kinda makes sense in a strange way. He preaches the 'gospel of prosperity' so to say ... not talking about traditional 'Christian' topics that aren't warm and fuzzy (like Hell, etc).

Only reason I can see to tune in ... see if the cameras catch him not smiling.
(he and Nancy Pelosi have that in common ...
)

This kinda reminds me of the church of Oprah - also known as OWN TV network
- and her followers.

I'm wondering what is behind this ... just Hollywood wanting $$ (and Olsteen too), or something else.
My paranoid conspiracy mind wants to know .... hmmmm .....
I'd love to follow the money trail on this one ...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It would be something different than the usual reality tv show I guess.
Something isn't right though. A man of God shouldn't dedicate his time to a tv show.
I see dollar signs.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Whats your point? Do you have a problem with him and can't get it out of your head and fixate on him and complain and whinge and get angry and then use ATS as a general bitch on something as important as Osteen?

You could ignore him but don't. Why?

I'm amused, as 'why' your focusing on him so much reveals something about you.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Whats your point? Do you have a problem with him and can't get it out of your head and fixate on him and complain and whinge and get angry and then use ATS as a general bitch on something as important as Osteen?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
Whats your point?

Already stated it in the opening post. It's strange and I'd like to follow the money trail.

Do you have a problem with him and can't get it out of your head and fixate on him and complain and whinge and get angry and then use ATS as a general bitch on something as important as Osteen?

You get all that out of one very short post of mine, eh?
If you really believe that ... um ... stuff you just posted then I'm thinking you have some issues of your own.

You could ignore this thread but don't. Why?
Are you an Osteen-bot? Upset because someone says ... 'show me the money trail'??

actually your intense rant ... all based on one short post of mine .. reveals much more about YOU.

edit on 11/30/2011 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

Seriously?
Lighten up.
And / Or
Leave this thread.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Whilst Pastor Osteen may or may not be a good guy with the best of intentions there has just always been something that I do not trust about television preachers.

I know that they may just be trying to "spread the good word" so to speak, but when I think of all the money that goes into televising- and how many needy people could be better served with the food, clothing, medicine and shelter that the same money could provide- it kind of makes me wonder if primetime television is REALLY what the good LORD had in mind!

link   
Not an Osteen follower but I don't mind watching him from time to time.

A reality show about someone who's actually famous for SOMETHING. With something positive at that, even if it's not every ones cup of tea.

I say all the power to him. And no sense following the money trail, he owns the trail, so I don't think he's doing it for self gain.

link   
I agree OP, this is weird.

The member above probably follows him, thus defending him, thats cool

Anyway he can be the nicest man in the world....i find him creepy

So....this would be the first time a show of this kind airing on primetime, i already see the ratings going through the roof with his following, I would definitely follow the money trail, Sunday morning tv wasnt enough?

A few people are going to get HUGE CHECKS in the name of religion

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Awww I love Joel Osteen, he gives such good and inspirational messages.
I watch him every Sunday and I like how he relates lessons to everyday life situations.

But I know what you're saying about the money trail. Luckily it doesn't cost me anything to watch his 30 minute show and it doesn't cost me anything to feel happy and inspired after.

But that's just me, it does't work for everyone

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
It would be something different than the usual reality tv show I guess.
Something isn't right though. A man of God shouldn't dedicate his time to a tv show.
I see dollar signs.

"Man of God".

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Osteen is simply a charismatic preacher with absolutely no formal bibilical training or prior pastoral experience whatsoever. Sounds like our president
Blind faith?

Esentially, Osteen just took his Father's church to a new level with creative marketing, smiles and charismatic speeches. I don't buy it. He was the behind the scenes marketing man of his fathers church for years prior to what his doing now.

Osteen created a need and created a TV business to fulfill the need. That's all. Just like the TV producer he is teaming up with.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skorpiogurl

I have a family member who likes to watch him too. Why? Because the Osteen guy is always 'up' and smiling and because the guy preaches a 'gospel of prosperity', which is a warm and fuzzy gospel (all the while passing the collection plate) and not getting into 'sin' or 'hell' stuff. Always up ... it's a psychological thing that's being played. (IMHO)

I'd just like to see the money trail on this PRIME TIME reality TV show ...
(for some reason Jim and Tammy Bakker and their $$$ just popped into my head)

edit on 11/30/2011 by FlyersFan because: fixed paragraph

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I have a family member who likes to watch him too. Why? Because the Osteen guy is always 'up' and smiling and because the guy preaches a 'gospel of prosperity', which is a warm and fuzzy gospel (all the while passing the collection plate) and not getting into 'sin' or 'hell' stuff. Always up ... it's a psychological thing that's being played. (IMHO)

I'd just like to see the money trail on this PRIME TIME reality TV show ...
(for some reason Jim and Tammy Bakker and their $$$ just popped into my head)

edit on 11/30/2011 by FlyersFan because: fixed paragraph

Oh I totally agree with that!

But... I don't care. I'd rather listen to warm and fuzzy positive messages then feel guilty and have no idea why I have to keep standing, kneeling, standing, kneeling, etc...
You are right, it is totally physchological. But if no one is getting hurt and everyone is wicked positive, I don't see it as a big deal.

Tammy Baker with that eyeliner! ugh

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

But if no one is getting hurt and everyone is wicked positive, I don't see it as a big deal.

That's why I asked about the money trail. He's making people feel good ... fine. He's making a living and not sucking off the taxpayer ... great. He's got his gig and he's entitled to it. He's got his schtick like others in reality TV and he's got people throwing money at his feet to have him tell them what they want to hear ... yikes, but whatever. What I'm wondering about is the money trail. If he's not on the up and up with what he's doing .... if he's milking people like the Bakkers did .... then I think people have a right to know where all the money is going and what is going on for real so they can decide if they really want to be involved with this guy.

Did you see the previous poster who went bananas because someone dared to say 'I'd like to see the money trail'? The response that was posted was seriously over the top compared to my question. There is also a danger of a cult like following .... some people DO get too attached to snake oil salespeople and they end up with no money left of their own .... That's why I'd like to see the money trail be very public. Some folks get addicted to the 'warm and fuzzy' and .. poof .. their own money is gone. Ya' know??

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by WeBrooklyn

The member above probably follows him, thus defending him, thats cool

Good luck with your research pal, your obviously not very good at it.

If you read a little closer you will see.....

Not an Osteen follower but I don't mind watching him from time to time.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Yes, I hear what you are saying and agree.
Some people do latch on too tight and yeah there's always that cult thing to worry about.
Yes, I saw that comment, it was over the top!
I like Joel but I wouldn't defend him to that extent.
There will always be groups of people who "need" to feel like they are a part of something, who will
give up their life savings to feel like they're included in something bigger than themselves. I feel bad
for those people... then again, everyone has a choice.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Thread highlights :

If olsteen is preaching islam = expect posts on the lines of "he is a false prophet", "he is worshipping a moon good", etc,

If olsteen is preaching hinduism/buddhism/shintoism = expect posts on the lines of "he is full of # and is going to hell".

If olsteen is preaching a version of christianity thats considered "false" = expect posts on the lines of "he is a false prophet"

If olsteen is preaching the true(tm) christianity = expect posts on the lines of "you are wrong, and we are right".

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Who cares? Another reality show, big whoop

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Joel Osteen is a false teacher, period. He tells you there's something wrong with poverty and suffering: a curse to be freed from.

He is clearly blind to the life and teaching of Christ, whose perfect life was opitomized by poverty and suffering...

(Just type Joel Osteen exposed into Google. The evidence is in full view.)

Hardly surprising that the church and 'gospel' of riches and comfort has found a home on megabuck prime-time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join