It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Britain expels Iranian officials from UK following attack on embassy in Tehran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

The UK is to expel all Iranian diplomats following the storming of its embassy in Tehran, Foreign Secretary William Hague has announced.

Britain demands the immediate closure of the Iranian embassy in London, saying also that all Iranian diplomats must leave the country within 48 hours. Foreign Secretary William Hague also reveals that all UK diplomatic employees have already left Iran.

UK expels all Iranian diplomats over embassy attack

Timeline: Iran and UK relations
edit on 30-11-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Well,Cant say I didnt see it coming.

I am just glad those Brits in Iran,got the hell out of there in time,before it escalated.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Natural response I suppose. My guess this course of action wasn't too far off anyways considering the international pressure ramping up in Iran. Wouldn't be Surprised if a lot more countries started expelling Iranian diplomats shortly.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
But wasn't the embassy in Tehran attacked by students, and later evicted by the Iranian police ?

So how is the Iranian government responsible for that.....its like saying the British government were responsible for any damage caused by the riots this summer.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Mart0

Its going to get alot hotter,in Iran,I believe.

Relations are already thin with the rest of the world,and sanctions wont work.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ken10

The line the UK is taking is that the storming was fueled by Iranian Governmental actions and the Iranian's failed to protect the British embassy.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Good for the U.K.!!!

BTW, did you hear Obama mentioned the English Embassy?

(We have a loon as POTUS)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ken10
But wasn't the embassy in Tehran attacked by students, and later evicted by the Iranian police ?

So how is the Iranian government responsible for that.....its like saying the British government were responsible for any damage caused by the riots this summer.

The answer to that is simple. If British citizens were given HOURS to attack the Iranian Embassy,wouldn't Iran do the same thing? As a host country you cant let lawlessness happen to a standing Embassy.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

William Hague:

The majority of demonstrators were from a student Basij militia organisation. We should be clear from the outset that this is an organisation controlled by elements of the Iranian regime.

The idea that the Iranian authorities could not have protected our Embassy or that this assault could have taken place without some degree of regime consent is fanciful.

www.fco.gov.uk...

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by sonnny1

Good for the U.K.!!!

BTW, did you hear Obama mentioned the English Embassy?

(We have a loon as POTUS)

Yeah,I did........Although he gets a passing grade for saying this..........

“They have a responsibility to protect diplomatic outposts. That is a basic international obligation that all countries need to observe, and for rioters, essentially, to be able to overrun the embassy and set it on fire is an indication that the Iranian government is not taking its international obligations seriously,” the president added. “Obviously we’re deeply concerned about that situation and we expect to see some sort of definitive action sometime very quickly.”

Regardless of his flubs.....

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

But we should be absolutely clear that no difficulty in relations can ever excuse in any way or under any circumstances the failure to protect diplomatic staff and diplomatic premises. Iran is a country where Opposition leaders are under house arrest, more than 500 people have been executed so far this year and where genuine protest is ruthlessly stamped on. The idea that the Iranian authorities could not have protected our Embassy or that this assault could have taken place without some degree of regime consent is fanciful.

Foreign Secretary's statement to Parliament on Iran

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Thats what makes it even more "outrageous" of an act.

Clearly it was designed by the Iranian Government.

All country's should get their respective citizens out of Iran,before they become human shields.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
OK, so what happens next? Can it be that Iran and the UK will end this with essentially cutting all ties with each other? Will the UK push for further sanctions on Iran? Will Iranian nationalists retaliate with violence/terror attacks against the UK?

As I see it this is only the beginning of "bad blood" between the two countries. Any predictions on what develops down the road?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I disagree with this because it closes another door toward's a peaceful outcome.
If we can't talk to them we can't sort it out...
Heck it's a mess isn't it

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Iran let this happen,if they didn't even orchestrate it. They dont want peaceful relations......

Again,I am surprised they didnt take hostages.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by Soshh

Thats what makes it even more "outrageous" of an act.

Clearly it was designed by the Iranian Government.

All country's should get their respective citizens out of Iran,before they become human shields.

Norway has already closed its embassy in Tehran in response to the incident. It is entirely possible that other countries will take similar measures.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

Plenty of bad blood between the UK and Iran as this has been an ongoing diplomatic ping pong match since the revolution in 79.. the embassies has been closed and diplomatic relations severed on a few occasions since then.

Well that is what I hope that this is simply part of that ongoing diplomatic ping pong game rather than anything more sinister.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Iran let this happen,if they didn't even orchestrate it. They dont want peaceful relations......

Probably because it wasn't state sanctioned !!!

The West are imposing sanctions against Iran, that affects ALL Iranians, and we expect them to be happy about it.

I'm more worried about what Russia and China think about this, Iran is a huge potential ally for them should the shtf....Which is looking more and more likely everyday.

edit on 30-11-2011 by ken10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Iran better get ready for the RAF Tornadoes any time now.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Probably because it wasn't state sanctioned !!!

The West are imposing sanctions against Iran, that affects ALL Iranians, and we expect them to be happy about it.

I'm more worried about what Russia and China think about this, Iran is a huge potential ally for them should the shtf....Which is looking more and more likely everyday.

edit on 30-11-2011 by ken10 because: (no reason given)

The majority of demonstrators were from a student Basij militia organisation. We should be clear from the outset that this is an organisation controlled by elements of the Iranian regime.

Not State sanctioned?
Or "officially" sanctioned?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join