It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Warns Iran After Embassy Stormed

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
You're right that England won't go to actual modern combat on the ground in Iran over this. No. In that sense, the United States is literally the only nation in the Western world capable of going to war with Iran and doing better than simply trading strikes until one is either obliterated or gives up. True there.

What England IS perfectly capable of doing is giving direct and enthusiastic support to Israel. Or giving their SAS people a work out in administering some punishment as Cameron may deem appropriate. Perhaps he'll look at Obama and Seal 6 into Pakistan as how it could be done. They could even throw their version of some Monica Missiles as Clinton did to Afghanistan in his term. That wouldn't be a major cause for concern.......if that whole region wasn't on a single hair trigger for total open war. We'll see how this plays out in the next few days and whether England basically turns the other cheek and does nothing of substance....or tries to do something and possibly winds up causing much more than was intended.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mart0
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'd note a couple pretty important differences between 1979 and now. First and foremost though is the state of affairs in the world. In 1979, the United States had a largely demoralized military still in a serious state of disarray. There is no way war would have broken out for that reason alone. As it happens, and tragically, we didn't have the clear chains of command and practical ability to even complete the inbound leg of a rescue mission.

And you don't see the comparisons to then and now. With the US and UK's Armies being in almost the exact same situation coming out of Iraq and Afghanistan?

War loving? Conservative? in 1979??? Are we talking about the same time line here or am I in a parallel world? Jimmy CARTER was a war loving conservative? One could call Ronald Reagan a hawk to the extreme, but Reagan wouldn't come to Office until the end of the Hostage Crisis. In fact, some still speculate the crisis in Tehran ended for Reagan by a backroom deal..but I digress.

Oh sorry yes, That was my mistake. However, If Carter and Reagan to some degree didn't go to war, then Cameron of all people won't

The UK isn't a country that goes to war over things like this. Even if the Military and Government wanted it. The population would never let it happen. War dead in the UK, While not taking away from the loss of US servicemen, Is taken in a much different and personal way. The UK army and the UK citizens don't want another war. The the tories know starting one means they will be out the door next election.

The Tories will be out by the next election anyway. They've slowed growth right down, made devastating cuts which is destabilising the country slowly, something like 2-3 million people out of work due to the cuts, reducing the armed forces to 82,000 and have had alot of protests against them.

How ever, I've heard that the armed forces are recruiting again around the time the US government started being dicks by instigating....again.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I found it interesting digging a little deeper to see the divide that exists between the Iranian Parliament (new elections in March) and the Guardian Council over the issue of kicking Britain out of the country..

It seems to me the Guardian council was reluctant to kick Britain out of Iran and server diplomatic ties which the Parliamentarians wanted.. and given the number of instances that "students" have been used as a catalyst for such events since 79 it seems the Parliamentarians have got their way.

I am sure this will play well for masses in Iran and cynical me thinks will help said parliamentarians keep their seats in Parliament come the March 2012 elections.

So in my opinion there is far more to this than meets the eye or that is presented in the media of either side.

There is also a major ongoing dispute over the British Embassy Gardens in Northern Tehran (home to the British Cemetery) that the Mayor of Tehran wants to confiscate (it is in a prime location in a posh area) It seems there was an environmental infringement that led to Britain being fined £750k after the water supply was disrupted.

This Embassy Gardens and British Cemetery are part of an ongoing dispute between Iran and Britain while the last time this kicked up (about 5 years from memory) The Iranian Parliament voted to demand Britain return the Embassy Gardens or give them Hyde park in London instead (which Britain has thus far ignored)

In my opinion what is happening is simply an extension of the ongoing dispute between Britain and Iran and any serious consequences is probably something along the lines of Cameron doing nothing since it seems that is always the best course of events while the the 2 factions inside Iran sort themselves out.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Krono

I hope England has that much time left for peace. England could do mighty things and shake the world with it's deeds and words at one time. It had an empire. Until quite recently, it could continue that way because it had the next best thing to it's old Empire. It had an American replacement still standing firm behind our British kin to back whatever play London may have made in the world.

I think London is making a fatal miscalculation if they believe the United States will be there to back them this time. I feel we MUST be....Every thing about America and what we stand for says we NEED to be there to back London..but Obama would sooner chew ground glass and chase it down with a cup of gasoline. Recall....Obama's dear 'ol Dad?

The U.S. was only a side issue to what made life so miserable for him. England is reserved for Obama's true hidden disgust for the West. I REALLY hope Cameron keeps that in mind before writing any diplomatic or military checks it might require a co-signer to make good on. There may not be one this time.

edit on 1-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Sorry fella It's Great Briton not just England don't forget my Scottish,Welsh and Northern Irish brothers

Or if you like you can use United Kingdom or UK.
Sorry for nitpicking but it grates me

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Sorry fella It's Great Briton not just England don't forget my Scottish,Welsh and Northern Irish brothers

Or if you like you can use United Kingdom or UK.
Sorry for nitpicking but it grates me

LOL.... Thanks for the correction. My Father-in-Law is from just outside Glasgow and would just have a field day with some of my butchering of that very big distinction in how Great Britain vs. England vs. the United Kingdom are used. You'll have to forgive my lack of sensitivity as an American by using them as interchangeably as we use America vs. United States here. It doesn't make my boo-boos excused..but perhaps explained a bit? Sorry if I offended. Even our President can't keep it straight.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

No problem fella
didn't offend me just didn't want to leave the other Brits out of it

Glasgow....The only place in the world where I have had to flee for my life

One of the best place's in Britain

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Don't know how many times this has to be said but the UK is not going to war with Iran now or in the foreseeable future.
There is no justification for any sort of military conflict and enormous opposition to such action domestically.
Cameron is extremely unpopular at present and any attempt at forcing the UK into a hugely unpopular war could lead to a break up of the coalition and probably a General Election; under such circumstances I doubt Cameron and The Tories would be elected.

Of course the ransacking of our enbassy was inexcusable, in diplomatic terms we have replied quite strongly, and rightly so.
That's as far as it should go.
If any of our staff had been taken hostage or harmed then yes, a stronger response may have been justified - but not all out war.

edit on 1/12/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Great post I agree 100% It just scares me that some world leaders seem to want to have their "Own" war because it's a better way of being remembered.
Cameron omg last person I want as commander in chief ;D

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I00% think Iran and Syria will be the next battlefields, I don't think I should be saying this, but despite our incompetent government reducing the armed forces to 82,000 by 2020 and halted recruitment. They are now recruiting and are upgrading. The infamous Challenger 2 main battle tank is getting replaced by a more modern tank, the name escapes me though. The planned upgrade on the vehicles by the Labour government has just been completed and France are itching to take on Syria.

The UK and France could deal with them both. Heck if our army as roughly half the size of the americans current army, we could do it ourselves.

Iran has lots of oil which I wouldn't be suprised if the Americans are eyeing up. Anyway, I can see another two ME countries getting blitzed and deprived of it's resources. Politics, don't you love it?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Don't know how many times this has to be said but the UK is not going to war with Iran now or in the foreseeable future.
There is no justification for any sort of military conflict and enormous opposition to such action domestically.
Cameron is extremely unpopular at present and any attempt at forcing the UK into a hugely unpopular war could lead to a break up of the coalition and probably a General Election; under such circumstances Cameron I doubt Cameron and The Tories would be elected.

Of course the ransacking of our enbassy was inexcusable, in diplomatic terms we have replied quite strongly, and rightly so.
That's as far as it should go.
If any of our staff had been taken hostage or harmed then yes, a stronger response may have been justified - but not all out war.

How sure are you about that?

Source

EU agrees co-ordinated withdrawal of ambassadors from Iran

Iran may lose all posted EU ambassadors as European countries begin recalling their embassy staff from the country. According to French FM Alain Juppe, Europe will act in a response to the attacks on the British diplomatic missions in Tehran.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

I wish I could take what you're saying and feel comfort in it. The fact of the matter is though, England is no different or better than a number of other nations right now. All have domestic problems that anyone can SEE a path leading to the collapse or outright removal of the serving Government. Including London. That means Cameron, along with many others on both sides of this coming fight, not only have no reason to seek peace..they have EVERY reason not to and to push for war.

STARTING the war...that will be a bad thing for whoever actually does fire the first shot in anger. However, being IN the coming war is probably being looked upon as Mana from Heaven from some of these turkeys in office who see no other way out of a glowingly desperate situation both at home and in foreign relations. I've never seen a period of time in my life where so many were lined up and moving toward war with SO MANY reasons why it's a good thing to do, from their perspective as leaders.

Do the public in England, America or Iran want this war? Of COURSE not....but I can tell you with certainty, Obama doesn't give a HOOT what America thinks or wants. He's doing it his way and he'll just arrest/detain us if we don't like it and complain too loudly. Look at the new law he's waiting to sign. Is Cameron really that different to CARE what 'commoners' on the streets of the United Kingdom as a whole actually think or want?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Your doing it again

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

How sure are you about that

For once the EU can not afford to piss the UK off.
If the UK refuses to help with the bail out plans it means the end of the Euro and the Eurozone - the UK is relatively well positioned to survive any such collapse.

In addition the UK has played this strictly by the book and the EU is committed to supporting the UK.
This futher isolates Iran within the international community and strengthens UN resolutions and approach.

Is Cameron really that different to CARE what 'commoners' on the streets of the United Kingdom as a whole actually think or want?

Of course Cameron doesn't give a toss about 'commoners', his policies prove that.
He is an arrogant, ignorant, ego driven toff who has no interest in the cares, concerns and interest of the British, not just English
, people.

But we in the UK do not want to go to war with Iran.
And we won't.
And if Cameron tries to force us then one way or another he will be removed.
edit on 1/12/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

The thing is a million of us marched against the last war and that didnt do any good so what do we do next time?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I hope your comment about removing him can be held to in your country. It's simply not a legal possibility in the United States unless this President just goes postal and shoots someone right in front of the World Press Corps. Even then, SOMEONE would come out to justify it and explain why we shouldn't leap to conclusions, I'm sure.
Here is to the peace the majority of our nation's citizens want, despite what our leaders apparently desire.

To Monkeyboy74:

Aww... I actually put real effort into trying to use the right title in the right context that time. Okay, I'm not being the least bit sarcastic or snooty here. I'm really, honestly confused, apparently. Perhaps you can tell me what national references in that last one were in error and why? Really...I know how many messages at ATS start off this way and lead to an ambush attack after the reply..but I am actually asking for some clarification. Thanks!

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

lol I read your original post again by mistake and thought you did it again

My bad fella, bloody Dyslexia jumbled a few posts into one

Also the only way to get rid of Cameron is the same as the US vote him out or maybe get him to resign but looking at the opposition we have they are all crap at the moment.
edit on 1-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nephalim
Heh.. does Iran have an embassy in the UK?

Yes and I heard at one time that one too was overran by Iranians as well

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

One of my first memories that next day I wanted one of these..

www.actionmanhq.co.uk...

The Uk's GI Joe

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

The current crop of politicians are all egostistical carear politicians with little difference between all three major political parties.
Personally I believe we need urgent and radical reform of our electoral and parliamentary processes doing away with the out-dated and urepresentative party political system.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

We need to turn that 1 million people into 10 million people.

We have removed rulers before and we can easily do it again.....we just need to remember who we are and that we will not be bullied or intimidated.
MSM will have you convinced that our power is limited to the election box.
Bollocks!
MSM will have you convinced that there is no democratic alternative to our current one.
Even more bollocks!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join