It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Online Piracy Act (Scary Facts)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

This video is pretty scary to be honest
The description of what they are suggesting is vague that they aren't even suggesting anything!

Pretty crazy right now, a desire to want to control the entire internet

PIPA is the Senate version of the anti-piracy bill, and was introduced in May 2011, while SOPA is the "corrected" House version, and was introduced at the end of October. Among other things "corrected" in SOPA, there's a new provision that makes posting YouTube videos with copyrighted music--even if it's playing in the background--a felony.

www.pcadvisor.co.uk...

What do you guys think about this?
How will this affect ATS?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Forget ATS, it has implications for the whole internet. Even if ATS survived, there would be no more content. He says it's terrible for small start ups, but bigger companies will fall to the ruling as quick, why not? What if a hacker posts a link on a government site, does that site get taken down?

I have a hard time thinking this will actually happen.
edit on 29-11-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Is internet piracy really that bad? Companies making mega money are crying that people are stealing their intangable creations... I understand that artists deserve to be compensated, and they are.

It is obvious that the RIAA and MPAA have influence over politicans, thats where the outrage should be. Creating laws like this only help mega corporations, and have little to do with protecting individual rights of the people, which is why the government is there in the first place, but that seems to be a forgotten aspect of american governance.

AHH!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
They passed a similar bill called the Hemp Act......But this takes control of the Internet. I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to shut ATS down to begin with...We know to much already.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

Why bother shutting down a site that the PTB probably use to get info on all us "alternative thinkers" I mean If I was the CIA etc I would check this site all the time.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It would never happen. To many people use and care about the internet, just about every American would start to wake up. It only takes one topic to get you down the rabit hole.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Of course this will pass. The goal is to crate felons. Felons lose their 2nd Amendment "right" (how can it be a right if it can be taken away?), and disarming the American population is the goal by TPTB. Once they disarm American by convicting them of BS felonies, they can then dismantle the other "rights" in the Bill of Rights, most likely the 1st and 4th Amendments.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Is this bill just for the US or will it effect everyone on the net?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Is this bill just for the US or will it effect everyone on the net?

Global...

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

It could potentally affect those in other countries, if the service is hosted or registered here in america, but used by those abroad, and shut down by our far reaching government, then thats it, it affects others.

Or if a site is hosted abroad, and our government censors content by means of blocking traffic to certain addresses, or DNS manipulation through sopenas and legislation, then it could affect others, because a site with a business model that targets american users, or that has a large american base is targeted, and those customers are lost.

TOR comes to mind.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sicksonezer0

This TOR is it safe?

Back to the OP I think we have had it good so far with the internet and for 20 odd years we have been using it without much censorship etc
The PTB hate the fact we can educate ourselves and learn about other things going on in the world which our own goverments would like us not to know.
Iam not looking forward to the internet in another 20 years....

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I even question TOR sometimes, I would imagine it is because it uses multipule proxy servers and manipulates packet headers to truly anonymize traffic, but who knows, could it be a honeypot to catch pirates set up by CIA or NSA goons? possibly, but i think any behaviour that would merit the use of TOR that is questionable, should be looked at subjectively... me personally, Im not ashamed to admit ive downloaded movies, but I also legally buy a crap load of movies too, so... eh whether its right or wrong is subjective, ive never been caught up in a legal battle regarding downloading overpriced content that should be dirt cheep to begin with.

should some one go to jail for downloading a movie? no

should some one be fined thousands of dollars and have their livelyhood taken away? no

If some one is caught downloading a movie, should they be responsible for paying market price for the movie? sure that seems fair.

should they be responsible for litigation fees incurred by the suing party (mpaa, riaa, etc)?? i dont think so because they are the ones who initiated it (mpaa, riaa, etc), and obviously they have the resources to do it because they are doing it in the first place!!

I do see this impacting many sites, especially ATS, because just like you posted content from TYT, their network (now Current TV) which Comcast owns a chunk of, and was founded by.... Al gore. Would Chenk care that you posted a video of his presentation? I doubt it, but would comcast, yes.

Current TV, or Current, is a media company led by former U.S. Vice President Al Gore and businessman Joel Hyatt. Comcast owns a ten percent stake of Current's parent company, Current Media LLC.[1]

Current TV - Wikipedia

Just seems like the little guy is always getting stepped on by american government corporate masters, im sick of it.

edit on 29-11-2011 by sicksonezer0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Welcome to Draconia.

Where everyone knows your name...

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
this is the reaction and means to stop another "cablegate" before it even starts. Remember Hillary Clinton's "We are in an information war and we are losing.....
Combine this with the bill to be voted on wed. by congress to allow american citizens to be detained indefinitely regardless of crime and you can no longer deny that a police state exists.
We need to unite to fight for our constitutional rights.Forget the left vs. right paradigm that has been ingrained in your heads. If we lose our rights there will be no left or right we will all be the governments "work release" employees.....
www.aclu.org...

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
and not to mention there have been numerous studies showing that the movie/music industrie is not effected by piracy, the actors or musicians well... thats something else.

I download illigal, why shouldn't I ? If hollywood doesn't even care to produce quality work then why would I buy it ? its the same with games, if they bring out a good quality game it makes me want to buy it, or makes me want to go to the theater and watch it, even buy it for home.

But I aint buying crap.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Pretty simple actually,
Hang anyone who votes for this bill.
It does not serve the people at all.
Therefore it is a nogo.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Pretty simple actually,
Hang anyone who votes for this bill.
It does not serve the people at all.
Therefore it is a nogo.

Hang? Wheel them. Just one Wheeling is all you need to see to never act up again.

As far as SOPA, who was it that said they wish they could finger out how to disable the computer of the downloader? I think it was John Ashcroft. Shows you their mindset.

Derek

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
we should just execute congress. then there will be no one to pass the bill. whose with me?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
My guess is a large part of online piracy is:
a) downloading in a foreign country something that you can't easily get because of currency/mailing/censorship problems
b) downloading because you do not have enough money to buy it
c) downloading because you previously bought it but lost it

My opinion is that resolving online piracy isn't going to make them rich because the reason they're not getting the money in the first place is because of OTHER things.

I feel similarly about F2P games. People who can really benefit from F2P are those who cannot afford $15/month. I think what happens in F2P is that the highest spenders end up paying the bulk of the bills while a majority coast either on paying nothing or paying less than 15/month.

I guess there might be some people who can easily afford it and get it but want to get it illegally instead because they'd like to save a few bucks. But I think it's the minority.

What I think is lame is when they go after the small man. It's extremely disgusting. I think the harder companies rule with an iron fist and a stupid blindness, the worse it'll be.
edit on 29-11-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I did see a report that said the average person who downloads games/music/movies spend around 2 times more on those things than the average person.
www.independent.co.uk...
Found the music one can't find the other report.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join