It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the purpose of an everlasting punishment in hell?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

My premise is that God would not create anything that is purposeless.
If God’s everlasting hell is not serving a purpose, God would not create it since scripture says that God created all things for his pleasure and for himself.

Punishment is usually given to change ideas, attitudes and actions of a sinner.
If punishment is given for any other reason, then it is being given without an altruistic purpose and would be given out of a sense of cruelty.

Is there an altruistic purpose for God creating hell?

If no good result is to be gained from everlasting punishment, is it just for God to give it?

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

To ascertain if hell would be a moral construct or not, all you need do is answer these
simple questions for yourself.

1. Is it good justice for a soul to be able to sin for only 120 years and then have to suffer torture for 12000000000000000000000000 + years?

2. Is it good justice for small or mediocre sinners to have to bear the same sentence as Hitler, Stalin and other genocidal maniacs?

3. Is it good justice to continue to torture a soul in hell if no change in attitude or actions is to result?

4. If you answered yes to these questions, then would killing the soul not be a better form of justice than to torture it for no possible good result or purpose?

Is hell a moral construct or not?

Regards
DL

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Hell? Of course it's a lie to keep you in line. Just like Santa and Emanuel Goldstein.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Its to scare people into putting more money into the coffers ....
Just wait for the Jesus fella's to say "All you have to do is accept Jesus Blah blah blah" but if your a bad person but accept Jesus and say sorry you goto Heaven while any other good people who doesn't accept Jesus will go straight to Hell....
edit on 29-11-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The purpose is to scare you into accepting and following the doctrines of the church.

That's what.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Beat me to it!

2nd line

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
In my reality we ALL go to heaven, no exceptions. we are all one
yes even Hitler and murders, our life essence go back to the creator
to us the creator is unknown, could it be alien ? sure.
Acording to people that died and come back, hell is not a "location" but a flash feeling of all the bad things you done in your life, that flashback could be some what "unpleasant" and could be the hell everybody is talking about.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
If it's true then we all can agree that some people deserve it. If it's a lie it's a good lie to keep us in line and kinda chaos free.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

It is just a blessing of god remembering what they have done.

Some people say that sins are a fire in our hearts. In this world , there is a curtain between our hearts and that fire.

But in the judgement day , there is no curtain.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I would say its the fear aspect only. If you were going to scare simple people into acting 'good', what better way than a place filled with only the worst things you can imagine, forever.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

The purpose behind people like hitler is to show us what evil looks like and add balance to society. Without evil we would never know good.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

this is one of the many reason i don't believe in Christianity. eternity of doing anything does not sound right to me. what is learned what progress is made whats the point? the answer to your question is simple. santa does not work on adults. soo be good boys and girls or you will burn in hell for all eternity

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
No one will burn until Judgement day. Hell is the place in which sinners and Satan await their judgement. If you even knew what you were talking about, you'd know that there will be a new Earth and a new Heaven. Once judgement day has passed there will be no more hell, the souls who face judgement and are sent to burn on "Judgement Day" will perish along with hell. They will exist no more.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
It could be that there is a conflict between natural gods who are attached to localities, versus gods of an alien nature, meaning nomadic gods who are not connected to physical astronomical bodies.
The physical nature gods are interested in recycling materials, including yourself and has no use for the spiritual self, but desires to have them as a collection or something but it is this sort of desire to retain things even if they don't have an immediate practical use for them, so hell is a sort of storage area for souls.
The nomadic spirit gods do have a practical use for the spirits that we once were, or might be, but have to fight the earth gods for them. That does not necessarily mean all souls are of enough interest to the nomads as to want to make the effort to retain them for their own, independent recycling program.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

For the victims it was Hell and seeing them suffer and blasted into non-existence was Hitler's Heaven. Everyone has their purpose I guess. Cold world isn't it

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
the more u think about it, the more it doesnt make sense, why would God punish us for eternity, how could he live with himself knowing that some people will always suffer, i dont understand how christians and muslims can accept this doctrine, this just scares the hell out of people and makes them do whatever their religion tells them, at the end of the day people who r religious are like that because they ant to get into heaven n avoid hell, most importantly avoid hell, hell is also emphasized more by priests and imams, a guy once asked a muslim scholar, what do you have to say to the atheist? the scholar replied, think about he consequence of not believing in God, thats like another way of saying that you should be a muslim because you do not want to burn in hell forever! for the people who r religious i just got one quote for ya, i dont remember who said it but it goes something like this, even if gods didnt exist it would be necessary to invent them...think about that for a second, even if God and hell didnt exist, somebody would still have come up with the concept..

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
It's a figment of your imagination. Implanted since birth to control you. Look up at night. On a clear night. With a telescope. Or read some other books.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Hell doesn't necessarily "scare" people into doing good. Everyone continues to "sin" and do bad things even after sealing their place in Heaven.

To me, the purpose of an everlasting hell is to give those who exercise free-will to deny the existence of God a just punishment for their knowing refusal to acknowledge their creator. Simply destroying someone's soul would be an easy way out for them.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greatest I am

I think it is like this, when a person commits an egregious or heinous act, they have destroyed another life completely and there is no way they can bring that life back or change the life for their victim. A life for a life, but Jesus Christ gave us His life in exchange, but for someone to look at another human life and willingly destroy it, that person has no way of giving that victim their life back, so a life for a life.

And destruction of another person's life causes hell on earth. Think about people who abuse children, those children should have had a life that could have been wonderful, but the fact they were abused has damaged them so greatly that parts of them have died and there is no way that can be given back to them.

Take for instance rapists, a rapist had a few minutes to fulfill their own pleasure and satisfy their own needs without respect to the life of the victim. That victim has to live with the damage, and that damage extends to relationships with other people. The rapist has destroyed trust and broken communication that the victim would need when building intimate relationships. It takes a lot of work to get back trust and to deal with it, but the truth is, those areas are damaged and broken. A life for a life, that is what I say.

If we also reject the life exchanged for us in Jesus Christ, we are in essence saying we choose to accept the death sentence. A life for a life, that is what is offered. A life for a life, it was a Biblical principle in the old days and now we no longer demand another person's life in place of a life taken, God has said now, because Jesus was offered, He is requiring the life for a life Himself.

I know people will not understand this principle because they are looking only at the natural, but God wants us to understand this on a spiritual level. There is no way we could offer our lives, so it was done for us. But if we willingly harm another person so greatly, then our life is required of us. Hell is a punishment because the people who receive the punishment have damaged and taken the life of someone else. It could be through abuse, rape or murder, but the damage extends beyond the victim and has far-reaching effects into the future of the victim and their loved ones.

But if you have committed a small sin, and it is against yourself, all you have to do is acknowledge it and go on.

Jesus' death was a substitionary atonement. It was a life for a life, and that life given was for me and all of humanity, but not all of humanity wants to accept that life for theirs.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0
the more u think about it, the more it doesnt make sense, why would God punish us for eternity, how could he live with himself knowing that some people will always suffer, i dont understand how christians and muslims can accept this doctrine, this just scares the hell out of people and makes them do whatever their religion tells them, at the end of the day people who r religious are like that because they ant to get into heaven n avoid hell, most importantly avoid hell, hell is also emphasized more by priests and imams, a guy once asked a muslim scholar, what do you have to say to the atheist? the scholar replied, think about he consequence of not believing in God, thats like another way of saying that you should be a muslim because you do not want to burn in hell forever! for the people who r religious i just got one quote for ya, i dont remember who said it but it goes something like this, even if gods didnt exist it would be necessary to invent them...think about that for a second, even if God and hell didnt exist, somebody would still have come up with the concept..

You seem to be well versed in what religions tell people to do. Why don't you tell me what my religion tells me to do and see if I have done it. I will bet you don't even know the truth about religions and you are just going on what people have told you about religion.

So if you can, tell me what my religion has told me to do, and let's see if I have done it. BTW, here is my religion...I am a Trinitarian Pentecostal, definitely leaning toward the Arminianism side. I follow the basic teachings of the Church of God, Cleveland Assembly and have attended the Foursquare Gospel church of which I have been a member.

Let me know what my religion tells me to do, and if I have neglected to do the things you believe my religion has told me to do, then I will know where I have to fix things with myself.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Where in the bible does it say hell is eternal for humanity?
If in the garden of Eden humanity was removed from the "tree of life", then does that mean we as humans are not eternal, just mortals. The tree of knowledge is different from the tree of life.
hell was created for demons
What a bunch of talkers and daydreamers. I havnt read much on this thread based on real teaching, only silly assumptions and outright dumb guesses

<<   2  3  4 >>

join