It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Young Voters Love Ron Paul

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Salon.com: Why Young Voters Love Ron Paul

Fantastic article that makes a ton of great, honest, observant points about Ron Paul's message, as well as his treatment by the MSM.

It's not because they're potheads. It's because they're sick of America's militaristic misadventures

The laziest way to explain the counterintuitive phenomenon of youth rallying around the GOP’s oldest candidate is to insist that it’s about kids’ silly college fling with unrealistic libertarianism or that it’s about kids’ affinity for drug use — and more specifically, Paul’s support for legislation that would let states legalize marijuana. This degrading mythology ignores the possibility that young people support Paul’s libertarianism for its overall critique of our government’s civil liberties transgressions (transgressions, by the way, now being openly waged against young people), nor does the narrative address the possibility that young people support Paul’s drug stance not because they want to smoke weed, but because they see the War on Drugs as a colossal waste of resources. Instead, Paul is presented as merely a fringe protest candidate, and the young people who support him are depicted as just dumb idealists, hedonistic pot smokers or both.

Amen

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I think a large part of it is due to the fact that younger people spend much more time online and are generally more aware of what is going on in the world. Given, we all know just how uninformed the middle-age/senior, non-internet, mainstream loving crowd is.
edit on 11/29/2011 by BeyondPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
And the fact that young people have no experience. They are easily fooled by cunning manipulators. And they have not yet learned the fact of life that if it seems to good to be true it generally is to good to be true. That and there are no independent candidates, especially at the level of the big prize. Oh yeah, the rich and powerful just leave everything to fate and chance.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bacci0909

I dont know about whether young people like Paul or not, but I am young and while i do "like" him- I am not voting for him. I am big on foreign policy and that is simply a deal breaker for me. I am also big on social services. Both of these are a huge point and that is pretty much why I wont vote for him.

The laziest way to explain the counterintuitive phenomenon of youth rallying around the GOP’s oldest candidate is to insist that it’s about kids’ silly college fling with unrealistic libertarianism or that it’s about kids’ affinity for drug use — and more specifically, Paul’s support for legislation that would let states legalize marijuana. This

I can honestly see this being true actually. More like I cant see the younger voters(how young we talkin?) finding much interest in politics in general.

This degrading mythology ignores the possibility that young people support Paul’s libertarianism for its overall critique of our government’s civil liberties transgressions (transgressions, by the way, now being openly waged against young people), nor does the narrative address the possibility that young people support Paul’s drug stance not because they want to smoke weed, but because they see the War on Drugs as a colossal waste of resources.

This seems a bit to deep to me to be coming from my peers. I certainly cant get into political or philosophical discussions with them at a level i am satisfied at(or anywhere close to the level presented on this site). At least, not when they are sober.

Instead, Paul is presented as merely a fringe protest candidate, and the young people who support him are depicted as just dumb idealists, hedonistic pot smokers or both.

I wouldn't know how Paul's supporters are represented in the mainstream media since i dont really watch TV. Rather, a good part of his supporters i meet are internet denizens who lavish praise on him as if he were Jesus. I dont have a profile for them and instead just assume they are, as i always do when in doubt, space aliens. Am I wrong?

edit on 29-11-2011 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

I think a large part of it is due to the fact that younger people spend much more time online and are generally more aware of what is going on in the world.

I dont know what kind of "young people" you chill around with, but "more aware of what is going on" is not really how i would describe my peers.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

It's not because they're potheads. It's because they're sick of America's militaristic misadventures

This is true, and what is ironic is that our own Military has demonstrated that this is their stance as well. It's not just the war protesting hippies who support him.

They (active military) have done so by supporting Ron Paul financially more than any other GOP candidate combined recently. They did so back in 2008 as well.

They know, for the most part, that the wars they have fought in the last decade have been for naught. They quite literally have been a huge blood and money sink without any real substantial gain, or lasting progress made in either country (Iraq is still seeing bombing attacks today - The Iraqi Army is inept, and so is the Afghan Army, despite our endless training and funding). They are unwinnable.

The rest of the GOP candidates somehow think that we are so naive to still believe that there is some sort of war of Terror that must be fought overseas.

Gingrich goes up in polls after the debate after he talks about how "entire American cities could be wiped out", and the need to further bolster the Patriot Act. To me, this is downright insanity. Heck in 2003, Gingrich said the Patriot Act needed to be reined in before it could get out of control.

Meanwhile Ron Paul is saying that this very mentality Gingrich and others have shared is what is causing others to want to attack America and Americans in the first place.

Yes, Gingrich is also a flip flopper on his stances.

Paul remains consistent.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by BeyondPerception

I think a large part of it is due to the fact that younger people spend much more time online and are generally more aware of what is going on in the world.

I dont know what kind of "young people" you chill around with, but "more aware of what is going on" is not really how i would describe my peers.

Remember I said 'generally'.. Can't speak for everyone.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

It's the economy. The future is looking bleak. Hyperinflation, worsening debt, and the gradual transition of the poor and middle classes into serfdom. Paul is the only one who can change the course. His policies will usher in an economic boom and a new era of freedom, prosperity and opportunity. If young people want a future the choice is clear.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

Nnnngh. Do ANY of you cultists know the first thing about his goddamned economic policies? Anything at all? I'm serious here. Do you know ANYTHING beyond "he, like, you know, uh, like, he totally wants to like audit the fed and stuff, like, y'know?" The guy advocates an economic policy that has been PROVEN to increase poverty, expand wealth disparity, cause debt spirals, and - historically, at least - led to mass murders and terror campaigns to repress criticism of the system.

Basically - like every other scumbag bastard vying for the Republican ticket - he has spent his time in Washington making government WORSE, LESS efficient, MORE expensive, and now tells you "well, government doesn't work, so let's destroy more of it, at a loss to the taxpayer! More poverty will increase jobs!"

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

He would make a good der fuhrer.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I'm 18 and in my first election, I'm voting for Ron Paul. My generation is very tired of all the shenanigans and theater by the government elect. I have friends who are the same exact way.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by SteveR

Nnnngh. Do ANY of you cultists know the first thing about his goddamned economic policies? Anything at all? I'm serious here. Do you know ANYTHING beyond "he, like, you know, uh, like, he totally wants to like audit the fed and stuff, like, y'know?" The guy advocates an economic policy that has been PROVEN to increase poverty, expand wealth disparity, cause debt spirals, and - historically, at least - led to mass murders and terror campaigns to repress criticism of the system.

Haven't you just had that for the last 10-12 years?

Let's see...

Increased poverty?.... Check

Expanded wealth disparity?.... Check

Debt Spirals?.... Check

Mass murders? (Iraq & Afghanistan) ... Check

Terror campaigns to repress criticism of the system? (OWS) ... Check

According to your analysis Ron Paul has been in power for the last 10 years... Therefore, I think everyone should vote for Newt, or Obama as they will fix all of the above with more 'mainstream' policies.

Oh wait!!!!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

You are needlessly rude and arrogant.

But I will give you a chance to elaborate this statement. Not that I am expecting anything remotely logical from you.

The guy advocates an economic policy that has been PROVEN to increase poverty, expand wealth disparity, cause debt spirals, and - historically, at least - led to mass murders and terror campaigns to repress criticism of the system.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

young voters like ron paul because he is an internet trend, young voters follow internet trends, every single ron paul fan I've ever talked to I've asked the same question, this is the question I asked...

'so what ron paul policies do you like?'

*crickets*, I've even dumbed down the question

'so what do you like about ron paul?'

*crickets*

This means, ron paul fans mindlessly are following an internet trend.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Young voters like Ron Paul because the machine hates him and ignores him. If a horrendously corrupt entity like the machine doesn't like Ron Paul, then Ron Paul must be good.

Right?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

wow...TheWalkingFox...banned...

That was a pretty arrogant post though.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

Really? I'm a Ron Paul supporter, ask me a question.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Razimus

young voters like ron paul because he is an internet trend, young voters follow internet trends, every single ron paul fan I've ever talked to I've asked the same question, this is the question I asked...

'so what ron paul policies do you like?'

*crickets*, I've even dumbed down the question

'so what do you like about ron paul?'

*crickets*

This means, ron paul fans mindlessly are following an internet trend.

Well that's interesting.. because every Ron Paul fan I've ever talked to is significantly more knowledgeable about our political situation than the average person.

With that said.. I don't necessarily think those people are wrong for simply liking Ron Paul upon first glance. It's pretty obvious to anybody with half a wit that he's the only honest guy running, and tells it like it is.

It's better than all the bored housewives who like Romney or Perry because "ooo he's cuutte"

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeyondPerception
I think a large part of it is due to the fact that younger people spend much more time online and are generally more aware of what is going on in the world. Given, we all know just how uninformed the middle-age/senior, non-internet, mainstream loving crowd is.
edit on 11/29/2011 by BeyondPerception because: (no reason given)

That's correct. It's not just about RP's militatry stance. I feel and believe, it's because he's the only REAL person up for election.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcord
And the fact that young people have no experience. They are easily fooled by cunning manipulators. And they have not yet learned the fact of life that if it seems to good to be true it generally is to good to be true. That and there are no independent candidates, especially at the level of the big prize. Oh yeah, the rich and powerful just leave everything to fate and chance.

That is also true. Ala Obama 2008. Man I couldn't stand college students screaming "OBAMA!!!" That was the most angry point of my life.

I think the difference between Obama and Ron Paul, is that RP isn't the face of MTV. He doesn't have actors/rappers or "cool" people backing him. He is more underground than the fraud Obama is. Which I feel requires more research than seeing Obama talk with Jay-Z, and then voting for Obama because you like Jay-Z.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join