It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reverse Discrimination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I grew up poor, am from a family of poor white trash people on both sides, and was a first-generation college student.

I'm sick an tired of racial quotas and Affirmative Action and all this other junk. Saying that I had an advantage over an upper middle class black kid is pure insanity.

Giving somebody preferential placement because of their race against me is racism no matter what it's called. Just because I'm white doesn't magically make it not-racism.

Just like giving me preferential placement or treatment because I'm female is sexist no matter what it's called. Just because I'm a girl doesn't magically make it not-sexism.

Affirmative Action made sense 50 years ago. Not anymore.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Racism is racism. There is no reverse racism. Affirmative action sucks(in my opinion) and does nothing but to further racism.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Didnt you already post a thread that's damn near identical to this one? oO
edit on 28-11-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

No, affirmative action doesn't really make sense. And neither does racism, but it still goes on as well. I remember a study done which found that when given identical resumes, save for different names, one a traditional white name and one a black or "uncommon" name, employers chose the resume with the white name much more often than the other resume.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

The only thing I disagree with in your post is:
"Affirmative Action made sense 50 years ago."

Affirmative Action has never made sense! It only fueled more racism!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dude69

The short answer is no.

The long answer is that I have another thread that has about as much to do with this one as cottage cheese does going to Alpha Centauri.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
reply to post by dude69

The short answer is no.

The long answer is that I have another thread that has about as much to do with this one as cottage cheese does going to Alpha Centauri.

must have you confused with someone else...did read something very similar to this though...hm, nevermind then.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
There is no such thing as reverse discrimination. Discrimination is discrimination regardless of where or who originates it, and it is all based in ignorance.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Try and see the silver lining. Soon, this unfortunate young black gentleman will be saddled with a huge loan which will take years to repay, assuming he can find a job when he graduates that is. I know it might not help your mood or outlook now but life is what it is sometimes. I dropped out of school at 17, I just didn't see the point of following my chosen path anymore. (chemist, pharmacist, something involving chemistry anyway) I personally think that was one of the best decisions I made in my life, but then again, maybe I'm just trying to be kind to myself. I think not though.
I could now be making new drugs that would need to be tested on animals or perhaps some instant pain compound for the military. Ugh...

Personally I see the racial quotas as a lame, reverse, apologist measure to a people who have long been fairly nastily treated in the states for...well, I'm sure you know the history better than me. School should be free for all. Period. Possibilities and the chance of a better life too but this is reality as others have chosen it for us. C'est la vie and it stinks.

Peace

edit on 28/11/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Love your user name

It's called "Positive Discrimination".

I learned about it in politics classes. I also experienced it first hand.

So.. the story goes..

Early in 1982 I'm going to Uni on Adelaide's south side where I make new friends.. etc. Some of my new friends are native Australians, which I am happy about as we can learn from each other and find our Sameness. My family is in another state.. Dysfunctional .. as well as being interstate due to the Dad being a Viet Nam veteran

In a conversation one guy tells me the Government is paying him A$235 per fortnight in Education Allowance to attend the local 'Aboriginal' College. That's nice.

I'm living in share accomodation, working part time to pay fees and books.. you know.. and the Government helps me with $53 per fortnight on the same allowance.

Didn't seem fair to me then, and still doesn't now.

Soon as we start treating all people as people .. like us.. the better we will be able to get along in fairness.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
I grew up poor, am from a family of poor white trash people on both sides, and was a first-generation college student.

I'm sick an tired of racial quotas and Affirmative Action and all this other junk. Saying that I had an advantage over an upper middle class black kid is pure insanity.

Giving somebody preferential placement because of their race against me is racism no matter what it's called. Just because I'm white doesn't magically make it not-racism.

Just like giving me preferential placement or treatment because I'm female is sexist no matter what it's called. Just because I'm a girl doesn't magically make it not-sexism.

Affirmative Action made sense 50 years ago. Not anymore.

If someone of another race knows (it is known) that whites have an advantage over blacks, and still says that they and or their family remained poor, does not mean that racism doesnt exist, it just means that they didnt choose or didnt know better then to use the advantage for themselves.

Whites that are rich, look down on those (whites) that are poor, because they know they had the advantage, and did nothing with it.

A leg up, means nothing unless it is use as intended. That is for all races. If affirmative action is in place and those that it benefits do not use it to advance, there is no excuse. As is the common knowing that white people have a leg up, without the need for affirmative action.

People cannot be angry on how they (no matter who they are) use or pass on opportunity.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Reverse Discrimination? Now that's a good one. I take from that, that you believe there is a proper direction for discrimination? Which way is the correct way for discrimination?

top topics

join