It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with meditation for starters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Howdy all,

I'm ready to get serious about meditation. Giving it a ponder, it seems like looking for the same base ingredient in a massive amount of products with their own label on a grocery isle. So, I'm hoping some more experienced people here can point me in the right direction so I can have the best chance at success. In full disclosure, I'll tell you all that I believe it will be pretty hard for me, BUT..I think it holds the key to some of life's questions, and may even act as a bridge to being able to change this life for the better, so I'm gonna give it my best effort.

So, thank you for any and all input and I'll be checking back here to research whatever I can of this subject.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Gumerk

Hi there,

Oh dear, oh dear....I couldn't have put it better myself...a real smorgers board of techniques.
As i do teach meditation I will suggest that you start with what's known as guided visualisations. This gets your mind to relax and practice a no mind state. Again you can find lots of different kinds with male or female voices 'guiding' you on a little journey. If you can find a 'new age' kinda shop the people there are usually quit helpful and let you hear a little to help you make your mind up. Nothing worse than listening to a voice that just plain annoys you!
As you progress you can move into more in depth visualisations. eventually you will only want some appropriate music to help.
One point though to remember, no matter which 'technique' you find that works for you, prayer is asking, meditation is listening for the answer.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gumerk

reluctant-messenger.com...

This will help ya...

Theres lots on this site that might grab your interest actually

Good luck my friend

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
When you start meditating, you will quickly run into a lot of inner resistance to it. The key is to acknowledge that and start over again. You might find yourself starting over every minute when you are new to it. Along the way it'll get easier.

Meditating is all about meeting your inner resistance to whatever keeps you from really listening to what your soul wants to tell you. Mastering it to any extent will provide you with an increasing feeling of inner peace to which you can more easily return to when you start feeling stressed out during daily events..

So that's in short what it will ask of you, but too, what it can give you.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
To medititate, one can choose all sorts of guided meditations if that suits you.

I always just start counting from 1 up. With every exhale you count.. Once you realize your mind starts wandering, you just return to 1, without judging yourself for it.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gumerk

There's a link in my signature for a binaural beat meditation soundtrack called "Bach to the Future" which "entrains" your brainwave pattern from alpha to theta and then delta. If you listen to that for a half hour or so, and then do a "just sitting" meditation, you'll be in a target brainwave pattern that only the most experienced of meditators are able to achieve from a lifetime of daily practice. Consider it a kickstart bootstrap to an extremely deep meditative state. In my experience it's the most powerful of the BB tracks I've tried and I've been using the best for over three years now, including Hemisync from Monroe Institute and Holosync from Bill Harris' Centerpointe Institute. The Bach one I comissioned a fellow ATS'r to develop, and then made it available for free on the net through zshare. It also contains, aside from the ocean waves, and the binaural beat track (which sounds like a humming in the background), the Schumann resonance haromonic frequency, which is the EMF of the Earth (to maintain grounding). As far as I'm concerned there's nothing like it, nothing as good that is.

To be a meditator, you need the mind fo a meditator, and some of us don't have the 20 years to devote to a daily pratice in order to achieve these non-ordinary states of consciousness. Some might call this "cheating" but imo, whatever works.

Enjoy!

Best Regards,

NAM

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
You don't need to do any others "techniques" , but feel free too. Meditation is all about finding your inner being. Your inner being isn't the others, therefore what may work for them may not work for you.

Just follow your inner self, and you will soon catch up

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I also recommend the book "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle, can't recommend it enough. It's about getting in touch with your inner being, and presence, which is what meditation is all about as the previous poster pointed out.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gumerk

Give a great deal of attention to your breathing.
Focus your attention on the feeling of the abdomens movement.
breathing will take your attention off of thought patterns.
Focus on feeling more that thoughts.
Just try to be the present witness to your thoughts and the emotions they make
see if you feel a stillness behind everything.

As another poster mentioned you will get distracted.
I had meditated about an hour ago and reached a point of still awareness and peace then wham my mind started chartering again.
You will find that meditation threatens the ego because it brings peace and peace threatens the ego which derives it's identity out of conflict and struggle.

Keep persisting and you will find that you can enter into silence for greater periods of time.
good luck

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
I also recommend the book "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle, can't recommend it enough. It's about getting in touch with your inner being, and presence, which is what meditation is all about as the previous poster pointed out.

me too though if you can get it on audio read by Eckhart it's even better though the book is very useful too
I just like listening to it in audio when I'm out and about

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Hi, thanks for the interesting and relevant thread. I have a question for someone who's a bit advanced in the practice. Why do I get pressure in my temples (sometimes quite unbearable) when I practise meditation. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Stateless Person

Envision this discomfort leaving and it will, clear your self of all desire those taking away suffering.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
here is a pretty decent video that can help you in the practice.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Awesome, checking all of this out.

Thanks y'all

edit on 8-12-2011 by Gumerk because: spelling

top topics

join