It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Laws and Freedoms Are Not Global!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Something I have noticed is that a number of members on this site do not pay attention to the global location of the stories presented. Not only that, but they automatically assume it is the U.S. AND even if they realize that a story is about another country, they automatically assume the rules and freedoms of the United States apply to that country as well.

If it is outside the U.S. they do not apply. In the U.S. you are guaranteed(except in National Security situations) a phone call, but this is not a requirement in other countries for them to give you one, even if you are a U.S. citizen. In the posts you can not apply the rules, regulations, or freedoms to other countries. You may however feel that it is unfair in their laws and that is acceptable, but to assume you know what you are talking about by applying rules and freedoms to other countries is ignorance. Do some research and attempt to understand what THEIR laws and freedoms(if any) are before you post your opinions.

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Regardless of the country being talked about I'm still going to bring up freedom of speech, expression, assembly... You know the basic things to have in a free society.

Like I'll bring up freedom of speech in a UK thread even though they have hate speech laws...
It has nothing to do with me not knowing their laws.
edit on 11/28/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Don't worry folks, most freedoms attributed to the US don't actually apply here either. Rest assured that there are no shortage of laws that they enforce on us. Well, those of us who aren't a part of the JustUs system that is.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I agree that many of us tend to forget this is an international board and site - and that any thread or post maybe referring to a situation outside of US borders and laws. Worse yet is the thread or post that takes an event from one country and uses the laws of another to create an "issue." That definitely doesn't include the debate about how those laws differ, how they effect the country's population, etc. But to have that debate, you have to have an understanding of the differences to begin with.

We are after all an international community of people come together to "Deny Ignorance." This includes the ignorance of assuming that we know the laws of other country without due diligence.

edit on 11/28/2011 by Open2Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

I am not saying you should not. What I am saying is you can not apply U.S. laws to the UK(as in your example). Expressing opinion on how they should be is acceptable. Personally, I think that all freedoms should be global(at the risk of accepting a OWG) unfortunately this is not the case. Freedom of speech is not a global freedom so you can not automatically APPLY them to a country as their laws are already applied not ours. Thank you for your reply though.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

So True, Thank you for your reply.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

Thank you for validating my point and digging deeper into the understandings of the topic.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I do tend to forget about this, thanks for bringing it up. I do agree that natural rights should be universal, but also know this is not the case.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I applaud you for your words. There is nothing that states you must express a lesson learned from a mistake or two but you had the guts to do it publicly. Thank you.

new topics

top topics

join