It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wnners: The new losers of America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Does anybody remember a time before political correctness? A time before self-esteem was interjected into the curriculum. A time when you were rewarded for being the best and pushed harder when you were the worst. Now it seems you get a trophy just for participating.There are no winners or losers.It seems if you are great you get punished for it. My case in point.

There are routs, there are blowouts, and then there are epic one-sided losses that would make the likes of Woody Hayes blush. The 100-2 victory by Pikeville (Kent.) Independent Middle School against Kimper (Kent.) Elementary and Middle School at the Pike County Preseason Tournament falls squarely in the last category. Now, the school district's superintendent and school board are allegedly considering canceling the team's entire season because of a perceived lack of sportsmanship shown in the 98-point drubbing.

rivals.yahoo.com/h ighschool/

Here is a team that was obviously superior to their counterparts.Who is to blame? The players, the coaches, or the school district. If you picked any of these you are wrong. No one is to blame. This is how sports works. Yet the winning team may have to forfeit their season for doing their best. WHAT?

When I was in high school we played the same team every year for football homecoming. The score would usually end up something like 56-7 or 60- 14. But its not like we didn't have a team that wiped the floor with us and they did it every final playoffs game,robbing us of state every year until my senior year. God did that feel good when our hard work payed off. That's the nature of sports. There is winners and losers. Without losing no one ever reach their full potential.

What do you think should winners be punished?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by stinavamp

What makes you blame this on political correctness? I did not really see anything in the story to indicate that was a factor. It really looks like a sore loser and does not seem uncommon in school sports to me. At least he wasnt raping any of them at this point I guess.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Lack of sportsmanship? How ridiculous is that! Not the teams fault they played a much worse opponent, perhaps the school board is at fault for not rating their teams right and giving each team some sort of challenge one way or another.

The school board should be blamed not the kids, the coach of the horrible team should also be looked into. Does the coach do his job? Doubtful...

What kind of F'ed up world do we live in these days? I feel bad for my kids.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I don't think that the winners should be punished BUT when I was on a footie team as a kid we played a team and beat them 12-0 and we were very unsporting and rubbed their nose's in it so we all got detention and had to write a essay on why it is best to have sportsmanship in our game.
I agreed with my teacher we were horrid and those poor guy's we goaded because we beat them soundly must of felt really bad.
It doesnt say in what manner they showed unsporting behavior and I think it must of been bad for them to threaten them with banning the team.
So No I don't think the winners should be punished, they should just be taught respect for your fellow sportsman.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Kind of like wall street, huh?

OWS: waaaaa! I didn't know the system was set up for winners waaaaa

Wall Street: Hey we just played under the rules Congress set up.

(and no I don't disagree with OWS, they have the wrong targets...)

IMHO

edit on 28-11-2011 by rbnhd76 because: crazzy redemneck canta speil

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rbnhd76

You have the wrong targets and the wrong thread. Wall street made the rules wall street plays by.
Back on topic, had the other team made up the rules of the game and them beat them so badly...how would that seem?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I think what you are describing is what's commonly referred to as "the wussification of America".

Starting from school-age, there are no winners or losers. All who participate - win.

And we wonder why there's generations of people who's "job" has been collecting welfare and entitlements.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by KendraSins

Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term which denotes language, ideas, policies, and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, certain other religions, beliefs or ideologies, disability, and age-related contexts, and, as purported by the term, doing so to an excessive extent. In current usage, the term is primarily pejorative,[1][2] while the term politically incorrect has been used as an implicitly positive self-description. Examples of the latter include the conservative The Politically Incorrect Guide published by the Regnery editorial house[3] and the television talk show Politically Incorrect. In these cases, the term politically incorrect connotes language, ideas, and behavior unconstrained by a perceived orthodoxy or by concerns about offending or expressing bias regarding various groups of people.

.wikipedia

I posted this definition not because I belive you don't know what it means but because I looked up the term myself before typing it. The idea that everyone should when is a PC ideology which fits into what I am trying to convey.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
If I was a player on a team trying to vouch for a scholarship, I'm playing at my highest level until the game is over.

Winners shouldn't be punished for playing the game.

edit on 28-11-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by KendraSins
reply to post by rbnhd76

You have the wrong targets and the wrong thread. Wall street made the rules wall street plays by.
Back on topic, had the other team made up the rules of the game and them beat them so badly...how would that seem?

You know, I might almost agree with you, except that -Congress- makes law.

Not Wall Street. ( and just for the record, I am poor, I don't have 10$ to my name)

Now, did Congress allow themselves to be bought off? Entirely.

Not trying to hate, I am glad to see people getting involved and waking up, they need to rub the sleep out of

they're eyes and get the right targets..

Let them occupy congress and see how far their rights go..

Hey man, don't get mad at me, this IS an opinion site, right?

Don't like mine feel free to block or foe me.

I for one enjoy having my beliefs tested.. thats why I'm here..

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
1) the season has not been canceled at this moment in time
2) the topic of the thread seems to be a huge generalization

1 + 2 = no merit.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

LSU coach Les Miles kneels the ball near the goal line with 5 minutes left in the 4th during a 50+ to 3 drubbing of Ole Miss. Pundits cry that he is being unsportsmanlike by embarrassing the other team with mercy.

Fast forward to one week later. Les Miles continues to try for the touchdown against # 3 Arkansas despite being up by over 20 points. Arkansas coach and fans go ballistic because he apparently wasn't being sportsmanlike. Lots of whining and complaining.

Losers are going to whine, cry, complain, accuse, and call you names no matter what you do.

The point: Have no mercy. Beat your opponent into submission or destroy them. When they cry about it...laugh.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
only in america...
they lower everything to the lowest common denominater then try to claim they're the best in the world...

bring back the old america where people strived to make something of themselves and accomplishments were something to be proud of... sad to see what america has been reduced to..

new topics

top topics

join