It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspicion in Iran that Stuxnet caused Revolutionary Guards base explosions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

www.debka.com

Is the Stuxnet computer malworm back on the warpath in Iran?

Exhaustive investigations into the deadly explosion last Saturday, Nov. 12 of the Sejil-2 ballistic missile at the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) Alghadir base point increasingly to a technical fault originating in the computer system controlling the missile and not the missile itself. The head of Iran's ballistic missile program Maj. Gen. Hassan Moghaddam was among the 36 officers killed in the blast which rocked Tehran 46 kilometers
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Not breaking news, but perhaps telling of todays explosion being reported.

Is the Stuxnet buried deep within Iran's missile stocks? Can the Israelis or Americans cause the warheads to go off at will, or is there another trigger? Will Israel strike while the iron is hot? No missile reprisals will from Tehran while they fear their missiles blowing up on the launch pad.

Another consideration would be Iran's ability to combat this virus. If they do finish a nuclear warhead, will they have good reason to fear its unexpected detonation? Cyber-warfare has entered a frightening new era.

www.debka.com
edit on 28-11-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
That would explain a lot of thing
there a lot of recent suspicious explosions in Iran
with always a high number of dead Revolutionary Guards
there is already a war going on .. just not a full front air assault
you have to weaken your victim before killing it .. its the pentagon strategy

Will the US and Israel be acounted in the future ??
for all the war crimes they did just to make wars on profit
all under the pretexte of freedom

If Hitler knew how to lie like this
he would be king of the world today ..

sandf
edit on 11/28/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
One word: Debka

Nuff said?

Now if the title read: Speculation in Iran that Stuxnet caused Revolutionary Guards base explosions. It would be more accurate.

Though, I believe that cyber-warriors efforts are often underestimated.

It is possible, and if so, they'll always only have suspicion and speculation and NO proof.

edit on 28-11-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
If Hitler knew how to lie like this
he would be king of the world today ..

sandf
edit on 11/28/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

If he were alive today he would be calling NATO/USA terrorists.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I agree, Debka is an "intelligence" site. That said, should we not discuss this? Do you disaprove? I never claimed this to be fact.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

No, on the contrary... did you read the rest of my post?

This is ATS, suspicion and speculation qualify for news worthy examination and discussion.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Stuxnet was made to work in an industrial setting with very specific parameters. Its not likely it will work in a missle base..

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Stuxnet was made to work in an industrial setting with very specific parameters. Its not likely it will work in a missle base..

So i thought too.

I was originally understanding it was used specifically against Siemens centrifuges with very specific serial numbers. Perhaps that isnt the case? Maybe this is false information? Virus been re-engeneered? Debka first broke the Stuxnet story when it infected the centrifuges. If any site can be accused of spreading disinfo, its Debka, but what they do get right, they do very well.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
It's more likely that a glitch in the program and handling procedures caused the explosion.

No sane warhead design comes without physical safeties that render the warhead inert until removed/activated.

Further, it is unclear as to how one would issue the command to trigger the warhead.

It is even more unclear if Stuxnet would even be able to affect the missiles. Stuxnet is designed to infect computers and allow it to interfere with Programmable Logic Controllers (of that, a specific brand of controller).

It would probably take a separate worm to infect a warhead, as they are likely run off of Programmable Logic Arrays - but utilize a completely different system all together.

en.wikipedia.org...

The entirety of the Stuxnet code has not yet been disclosed, but its payload targets only those SCADA configurations that meet criteria that it is programmed to identify.[24] Stuxnet requires specific slave variable-frequency drives (frequency converter drives) to be attached to the targeted Siemens S7-300 system and its associated modules. It only attacks those PLC systems with variable-frequency drives from two specific vendors: Vacon based in Finland and Fararo Paya based in Iran.[41] Furthermore, it monitors the frequency of the attached motors, and only attacks systems that spin between 807 Hz and 1210 Hz. The industrial applications of motors with these parameters are diverse, and may include pumps or gas centrifuges.

Stuxnet installs malware into memory block DB890 of the PLC that monitors the Profibus messaging bus of the system.[35] When certain criteria are met, it periodically modifies the frequency to 1410 Hz and then to 2 Hz and then to 1064 Hz, and thus affects the operation of the connected motors by changing their rotational speed.[41] It also installs a rootkit—the first such documented case on this platform—that hides the malware on the system and masks the changes in rotational speed from monitoring systems.

In theory - one could use a similar method to reprogram missiles - but the reason Stuxnet worked in this case is Iran's reliance on commercially available technology for the uranium enrichment process.

The specifics of their warhead electronics are not likely going to be as easy to get a hold of and design malicious code to exploit. You have to know what you are reprogramming to use this method... and in this case... the missile likely isn't running on repurposed i-phones.

All in all - I would say it was a screw up in handling and in Iran's programming.

If you could blow them up with a virus... why blow up only one of them?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Because this news is from November 18th, I am moving this thread to Middle East Issues.

Posting it here only confuses and interferes with discussions of ongoing events in the BAN forum.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

www.debka.com

Is the Stuxnet computer malworm back on the warpath in Iran?

Exhaustive investigations into the deadly explosion last Saturday, Nov. 12 of the Sejil-2 ballistic missile at the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) Alghadir base point increasingly to a technical fault originating in the computer system controlling the missile and not the missile itself. The head of Iran's ballistic missile program Maj. Gen. Hassan Moghaddam was among the 36 officers killed in the blast which rocked Tehran 46 kilometers

This is not breaking news..I posted this same information ten days ago..
Abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Thank you. Only posted it in breaking news because i thought perhaps it had bearing on todays reported explosion.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr
reply to post by Maxmars

Thank you. Only posted it in breaking news because i thought perhaps it had bearing on todays reported explosion.

That's not a bad idea; but if you want to do that in the future simply add the material to the existing thread. Seems like the stuxnet virus was inadvertently being associated with the explosion reported earlier... which we can't really say are related .... but this info is pertinent nevertheless.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
If you could blow them up with a virus... why blow up only one of them?

Plausable deniability and timing.

The first explosion took out the head of the Iranian missile program and some very important scientists. The second? Who knows as of yet, but timing could be everything.

I agree with the bulk of your post yet, i just think there are a lot of unknowns. This is all speculation.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

I think this is not the case. Stuxnet is a worm that can attack anything. It was particularly made for attacking systems and making them seem to have problems with systems. This same virus could could rogue and just like it tearing through things over seas this same virus could cripple the United States. If our water system or grid in anyway caught this virus it would shut this country down.

PS. I heard a former ex military Intel officer talking on Alex Jones saying if the infrastructure went down in the fall the military estimates by the following year if the grid didn't come back up the population would decline by 1/2. It is crazy to think about if the grid went down half our population would die off or be killed from lack of food water etc.

join