It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to cancel college majors that don't pay

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar
reply to post by Manhater

I'm in Forensic Science with a minor in Intelligence Studies.

Actually that field of study can lead to an excellent (and profitable) career working for the County Coroner.

That's my goal. To work in coroner's office.
edit on 27-11-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

Hey, at least you know your job can't be outsourced.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar

I'm in Forensic Science with a minor in Intelligence Studies.

Actually that field of study can lead to an excellent (and profitable) career working for the County Coroner.

That's my goal. To work in coroner's office.
edit on 27-11-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

Excellent, there you go, you are on the right track with your degree program. Keep your head down and do your best, Kiddo. I think you will be just fine. Congrats on a VERY interesting and challenging career choice. Good for you!

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure the state funds the colleges/students so they can do whatever the hell they want. If they didn't it would be a different story.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I attended college for six years and changed my major 4 times. As an English major, I actually learned about things like researching, critical thinking, and communication.

Those are hard to learn skills that are more relevant to most people's careers than the random facts I learned when I was a Business major.

I graduated with a degree in Computer Science. I can actually code stuff that is useful, but without those English majors and Graphic Design majors to explain my software or design the ads to sell it, it's just useless code.

There are very few degrees that don't have some kind of usefulness or viability, even if it's only as a footing for post-graduate work.

It's likely that China's culture and political climate are simply not conducive to the kind of flexibility that we have here in the States. Thus, those students who have majors that don't fit a narrowly defined path are discarded.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

edit on 28-11-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Ups and downs in everything, but really the whole thing is a depiction on people there mentalities and lifestyles...If china wants to do that it will in some ways be better for them, and in other ways it will be lacking. Really what might work for somebody will not have the same effect on somebody else, and yes even on the effect of entire peoples and countries... But the same can be said of everything.

Like I said it just comes down to lifestyles and the little communes or programs made of such things, and with all the rules that those who wish to be part or like of such things must go trough and abide by, ie all the hoops they have to jump trough to conform. In the end like attracts like and breeds like, if they so chose to make things confined and limited to only that which works for now, they will be missing that which will work later.

I never got this whole school thing, and I would just go with whatever has the least schooling involved, I never fit in anyways, so...Really if applied the whole thing even years of the same ol useless knowledge can be crammed into minutes even seconds with the advent and progress of some technologies...No really all that stuff can be beamed in to save lots time, for as we know time in this world is very popular but ultimately useless.

Then maybe after we do that and get rid of this whole human thing we can move on to more important stuff like blowing up the moon and the suns, eventually progress enough to getting the hell out of this analog universe. Instead of the same old # we have been doing for eons, nothing but a bunch of rinse and repeat of different variation on the same old stuff.

Anyways forget that little rant, back on topic...What do people want really, school is just a niche like everything else, do the Chinese think that engineering and those sciences will be predominant forever, or all that important beyond there frames of importance which is in all ways guided by peoples mind-frames and lifestyles...supply and demand and all that jive.

A couple of questions for china will be, how do they know which will pay in the future and which not?...I mean like pretty much every other nation and peoples they do have a habit of being wrong like 80% of the time on such things, and given time they will be totally wrong.

A lot of people will think this is bad, but actually I think its a great idea. Look at all the people who are at OWS because they went deep into debt to earn a degree that turns out to be usless. Lots of people say "college should be about learning purely, not about jobs," but that's an unrealistic attitude. In the end, not everyone in society can be poets and historians and interpretive dance masters.

I would say in this day and age you can pretty much learn lots of stuff on you own if you so chose to...The thing is humans are heard animals, and even have a flawed and retarded sort of hive mind....So It's not really about learning since that is inconsequential to those that must convert to hive processes's...You say that not everyone in society can be poets, historians, and interpretive dance masters. And I say not everyone in society can be scientists, engineers, technicians, so really that to is an unrealistic attitude, only of a different extreme.

The Chinese are more of the collective mind then other nations so they would function in that paradigm better in some ways then the other ways.

There need to be young adults prepared for actual business conditions, with skills that bring prosperity and security to them, their familes, and society as a whole. I wish the US univeristies would take steps to make the curricula more practical!

You have not looked at actual business conditions lately I take it, in fact partying in college is good practice and experience for most business practices.
But in all cases the curriculum is what is useful to the paradigm not what will bring prosperity and security to them, their families, and society as a whole. You got to ask yourself what is the purpose of it all? And when you find the why of it, you will find the for who, and then eventually the how it all works, it's all an interlinked system.

Then we wouldn't have people six figures in debt for useless degrees they really thought would be able to provide them with a living! The universities are supposed to prepare practical adults who can operate effectively in society, not only a bunch of dreamers and basket-weavers.

I suppose they missed all the little details that make society work...One of those little details is... society is a concept in the making...therefore it works better on paper then in reality. In fact it would be best to stop thinking of it as one entity because it is not, it's a hazardous experiment. It seems to be all like one of them jigsaw puzzles and really if the piece does not fit, trying to jam it in will not make it fit.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Hey manhater.....You can do it...

When felling down and thinking that you cant go on or that its useless...
Remember, Rob Schneider believes in you...

Somehow something tells me you would probably fit right in among dead people, hey they at least they are the more silent and quite types, and they will listen to all your stories without complaint....Even the ones that are a real stretch for the imagination to believe in.

Or at least most of them are the silent type.....zombiezzz.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

lol you talking about my outlandish UFO stories that turned out to be Jupiter?

Yeah, least they won't talk back.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
Yah, we should all just study what we like for the heck of it, why not, who cares if it ever bears fruit...here, go six figures into debt to follow your bliss.

Do you people live on the same planet as me?

Most people in the world don't have the luxury of affording to take four years off of their life to go study something "purely because they are interested in it." Maybe you guys can, but for the rest of us food needs to get put on the table, rent needs to be paid, and investments (whether in education or anything else) need to have a resonable chance of yeilding more money than was put in.

I don't want my kids to grow up in a cardboard box someday because "mommy followed her heart and took on a bunch of debt to study upper-Amazonian anthropology when she knew it could never lead to a job."

I think that we are at a point in the "information age" where our college paradigm hasn't caught up with reality. I can study anthropology (or whatever) from my home on the internet for free (other than the cost of internet access...and if I can't afford that, I can go to the library and study it for free there.) The information is out there for anyone to find. I think in the past colleges "held" the knowledge and the only way you could have access to it was to go to college.

It doesn't make sense to go into debt to study something that you can study for free AND isn't going to help you get a job of any sort. I have a son in 9th grade and another in 7th grade, and I am going to encourage them to think practically as they plan for college and beyond. No underwater basket weaving degrees recommended.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Oh is that what it was, all of them pictures looked like swamp gas to me.

But hey Jupiter is mostly gas, so I guess you can say that yes! it was Jupiter...Anyways some sort of "gas" was involved either way me thinks.
It was either earth gas..or space gas.
....And possibly even human gas, the kind that one gets from eating to many beans.

But anyways if you do end up working in the coroners office, and you see one of them dead twitch or even begin talking to you, then please do post it up on ATS. I am looking to read a good zombie story.

Besides I don't think the zombie Apocalypse is supposed to happen for about couple thousand years form now.
But you just never know, it might come early. So if you see them walk around, talking to you, and saying brainzzz....Please do tell the rest of us.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird

Oh is that what it was, all of them pictures looked like swamp gas to me.

But hey Jupiter is mostly gas, so I guess you can say that yes! it was Jupiter...Anyways some sort of "gas" was involved either way me thinks.
It was either earth gas..or space gas.
....And possibly even human gas, the kind that one gets from eating to many beans.

But anyways if you do end up working in the coroners office, and you see one of them dead twitch or even begin talking to you, then please do post it up on ATS. I am looking to read a good zombie story.

Besides I don't think the zombie Apocalypse is supposed to happen for about couple thousand years form now.
But you just never know, it might come early. So if you see them walk around, talking to you, and saying brainzzz....Please do tell the rest of us.

Now, wouldn't that be something.

Zombie Apocalypse.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join