It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is no such thing as a mental illness

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

That's the thing though, as soon the cops see her, she does on a 180 on the attitude, just like at the hospital. The minute she comes back, she has the attitude of "good I can hit you again". She actually said that. And then starts right back at it. ugh. She has court on Tuesday and I told my sister to bring all this to court and maybe the judge can put like a judgement on the hospital to actually do something, like do a re-evaluation on her.

One hospital took her off one of her meds and maybe that is interfering, But she does need med management and is not getting it.

Her advocate is taking her sweet time in finding out / in home placement. She really needs that because she will never function in society at 30 yrs old.

This kid can't get any help because it seems like everyone keeps pawning her off to be someone else's problem.

edit on 27-11-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Its a good idea to get your sister to talk to the judge, he can help, tell him that she should be taking med's but doesn't heck you goto and be a witness for your sister.
If she has a care team do some ringing up and get them to do their jobs, Grrrrr annoys me when I hear of bad care.
Not much I can do to help but my thoughts go with you, hope everything get's better.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Yeah, I'm going to there and show him the bruises that she left on my arm while trying to knock my arm off my socket. And, I hope he does something helpful for her, not something unnecessary. Like jail. She will never last in there. But at the moment, I don't know where else to put her. She's in special confinement. Not gen-pop. But, I want to wake up the next day, I don't want to wake up with a knife above me or a plastic bag around my head at the path she is going.

Hope it does get better.

Thxs.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Hi manhater,
Before you do anything serious like go to authoritys or force her to take meds, please try something.
Try and start a healthy lifestyle with her, its something you can try and do together rather then forcing her to do something like take meds on her own.
Eat healthy, lots of fruit, vegetables, nuts, grains, fish and a bit of lean meat..
Excsercise daily, anything is good but it helps to mix it up. Running one day, swimming the next, then maybe some weight lifting.. it doesnt matter what as long as your active.
Limit Tv time, computer time.. by doing the first 2 you should limit that anyway.

Meds are not the answer and will not help your sister but will only hide her problems while making them worse at the same time.

Research alternative solutions. There are many avaliable and almost all will work better then drugs that are extremely dangerous and unproven/tested.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I would listen to boymonkey, who is someone in the profession, rather than the advice from an insulting random ATSer if I were you.
I think you know that already, though.

edit on 11/27/2011 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by WakeUpRiseUp

Hi manhater,

BTW the officers have been quite understanding and nice about the whole thing. Not brutes where they tackle her like a football or tase her for no reason.

Already have tried this route, like set up activities for her everyday. But before she even gets to this route she acts out aggressively. Like minutes before the activity that we are about to do, her anger pops out of no where.

She is spoiled little girl. I doubt that in her 16 years, that she has been forced to do anything she didn't want to do. I doubt she has ever been disciplined in her life.

Right now, she lives in a nice suburban home and doesn't live in the grungy place where she used to live. And that plays a part because you can't change her overnight. And, at the moment she misses that home and she misses her dad.

Which, I think is the reason for most of the outbursts. I say at least 50%. I understand that. I went through it myself. So, I try to keep her busy.

Most of the time I can calm her down but since they took her off this one med, she has been completely out of control which is why she needs med management.

Maybe she is going through withdrawals from the past drug she was on. I don't know.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

I would listen to boymonkey, who is someone in the profession, rather than the advice from an insulting random ATSer if I were you.
I think you know that already, though.

Yes because the profession has obviously had a great effect considering that numbers of mental illness have doubled in recent years.
You’re the only person who was insulting.

Great advice from boymonkey tho, pump her full of drugs until she shuts up

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Firstly jail is probably going to make things a lot worse, its like the medication they are giving her: Hide the problem and let it grow in the shadows.

Good to hear you have already tried that, I cant say much because I dont know enough but please keep trying. She is only 16 and its possible that it will pass. If you pump her full of drugs it has great potential to make the problems life long.
It would be good to try a little discipline. Consider what you would use medication for and try do that yourself with natural authority.
Obviously there are a lot of reasons why she has these problems so deal with the cause and fight it bit by bit. It might take years but its better to do it the right way then the easy way.
How long has she been on meds? Because thats the problem, it creates emotional and chemical addiction. Its honestly going to be better if you can beat that addiction now and treat the problems naturally then to have her on drugs for the rest of her life. Fight the problem, dont hide it; because it could be 10, 20 or whatever years but if you hide it, it will come out bad eventually.
Im sure you already have, but spend a long time doing research.
Wish you and your niece the best.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I believe you're correct in saying that. I've always found it insane that doctors willingly prescribe speed (Adderal) to people, mainly children with ADD/ADHD. This world is just insane.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kingllama

Oh crap. Just read the rest of this post. Quite the condition buddy... I recommend finding somebody to help you handle that situation... That sounds incredibly stressful, best of luck.
edit on 27-11-2011 by kingllama because: typo

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernamehere

If one reaches into a radio and removes a few wires its not going to continue on the radio station previously tuned is it?

You kind of disprove your own post. The human brain is a machine. It's supposed to work a certain way, when you go around pulling out wires (in this example the pulling out of wires is like someone who is BORN with a chemical imbalance, or some other hardware issue in their brain) the brain stops working how it's supposed to.

You can make a good point and say that the mental illness label gets applied far too often and placed too broadly. But to deny there are people with metal illnesses is dangerous, and frankly ridiculous to anyone that's lived a non-sheltered life, and has been exposed to these things.

That's like saying someone with cancer doesn't have an illness, just because their cancer doesn't fit into what we think it a healthy body. DUH, that's the point. It's not healthy for your body to have cancer, it's an illness. Just like when someone hears voices that tells them to kill people they are not mentally healthy, but instead of just being dangerous to themselves (someone with cancer) mentally ill people can be a danger to other people.

So, in your infinite wisdom, where mental illness doesn't exist, what are we supposed to do with people who hear voices that tell them to kill other people? People who don't think it's wrong to kill or torture others because chemical issues in their brain make them think this way? Just let them freely wander around because that makes you feel all happy inside to imagine there is no mental illness?

What's next? You going to say there is no such thing as mental retardation either? That mentally retarded people are just normal people playing a joke on everyone?

How do you go through life and still hold onto these beliefs? If your mother that you love gets murdered by someone with paranoid schizophrenia who thought you mother was stalking her you'd be just OK and fine with that?

I've had people in my life with mental illness, and I can tell you they are very real. These people exist, and you do nobody any good trying to deny it.

So you're telling me that my family friend that's NEVER gone to a doctor or seen anyone about his mental issues (kind of rules out your theory that the mental illness doctors create mental illness huh?) lives in fear because he thinks that thousands of people are stalking him all the time, that numerous Hollywood actors have been calling his house and trying to kill him, this never happened? This guy is perfectly OK? Even though he recently committed suicide because of this horrible twisted life he lived, he is OK, he is NOT mentally ill? Are you seriously saying that?

Please, explain the case of my family friend to me. Tell me what his issue was, if he wasn't mentally ill? Do you think he was perfectly normal, that he was being stalked by people that weren't there? That he was actually being stalked by people from Hollywood? Seriously?

This kind of crap disgusts me. You are living in a fantasy world and then try to tell other people what is real or not? Sorry, mental illness is real. It ruined the life of a family friend. He refused to see doctors or anyone about it. And he is dead now. Yeah, sounds fake to me. Sounds made up by mental illness doctors to me. It's all a conspiracy.

OR, is it more likely that he was ACTUALLY SICK IN THE HEAD, NEEDED HELP, but didn't get any? That makes sense to me. And if YOU had your way, everyone with his problem would also kill themselves, because doctors that deal with mental illness aren't real, they are scammers, they never help anyone, because there actually isn't anyone to help! Mentally ill people don't exist!

Please, please, PLEASE explain the case of my family friend to me! You seem to have all the answers, because you know so well that mental illness doesn't exist, and that doctors are all scammers. If mental illness doesn't exist, PLEASE tell me why our family friend saw things that weren't there, thought things were happening that weren't, and lived such a tortured life that he killed himself. PLEASE! I'll be waiting for your thought provoking explanation, oh so enlightened one!

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp

Yes because the profession has obviously had a great effect considering that numbers of mental illness have doubled in recent years.

What does the mental health profession have to do with how someone is born?

Do you really think that the numbers have doubled because of treatment?

That many people wouldn't need the treatment if they didn't have the illness to begin with.

edit on 11/27/2011 by Chamberf=6 because: have you been diagnosed with something? Is this the reason for your despising the mental health profession?

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

What does the mental health profession have to do with how someone is born? Do you really think that the numbers have doubled because of treatment? That many people wouldn't need the treatment if they weren't born with an illness.
No one is born with a mental illness. Its like cancer, everyone has the potential to develop it but it takes the right conditions and environmental factors to trigger its growth.
I think that use of dangerous drugs in children have added many figures to that number, but yes societies view on mental illness and the profession actively help the growth of mental illness because it looks to cure not prevent.
If you think people are born with mental illness you do not know anything about the subject, go look at the first very basic experiments done on the topic in the early 20th century.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

If you think people are born with mental illness you do not know anything about the subject, go look at the first very basic experiments done on the topic in the early 20th century.

A lot of progress has been made since the early 1900s.

Schizophrenia usually shows itself around the early twenties. That does not mean the makings of the disease were not present before that. The predilection for the chemical imbalances were there the whole time. The nurture of "nature vs nurture" did not create the disease.

You don't seem to know anyone close with that illness, or you wouldn't be so dismissive.

No one is born with a mental illness

I completely disagree. Genetics plays a huge role.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

She was born without the cognitive side of her brain. She doesn't think like normal people. btw.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Brain scans show that the hypothalamus is depressed in people with conditions such as bipolar or borderline disorder, schizophrania, and other conditions.
The hypothalamus filters input and emotions. So when it is depressed, it causes people to react highly irrationaly to normal stimuli.

So they can actually see on a brain scan if people are prone to these conditions.

Nice try Tom Cruise.

edit on 27-11-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
OK, I watched the whole video. The talking head needs to take a field trip to a mental institution or big city street corner, have contact with some of the people he would consider in his armchair note reading reality as "not mentally ill" and then do his next video narrative in that setting.

Then we will all judge his creadibility.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I agree that mental illness clearly exists and I would add that society has undoubtedly contributed to the mental health of individuals.

bjp.rcpsych.org...

"Prior to the 20th century, most reports of mass sociogenic illness involved motor hysteria incubated by exposure to longstanding religious, academic or capitalist discipline. Between the 15th and 19th centuries, exceedingly strict Christian religious orders appeared in some European convents. Coupled with a popular belief in witches and demons, this situation triggered dozens of epidemic motor hysteria outbreaks among nuns, who were widely believed to have been demonically possessed. Episodes typically lasted months and in several instances were endured in a waxing and waning fashion for years. "

There is plenty of research for those willing to accept the truth.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Brain scans show that the hypothalamus is depressed in people with conditions such as bipolar or borderline disorder, schizophrania, and other conditions.
The hypothalamus filters input and emotions. So when it is depressed, it causes people to react highly irrationaly to normal stimuli.

So they can actually see on a brain scan if people are prone to these conditions.

Nice try Tom Cruise.

edit on 27-11-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

This very thing has been on my mind as I had read through the posts.

I had a immediate family member who is diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, but also has some delusional issue with psychotic episodes.

Working with a therapist, I asked if there was any treatment for her. Medicinally? No. At some point in the discussion he did say that some therapists believe that arming effected families with tranquilizer dart guns might be effective for preserving THEIR sanity!

It was a joke-- but one I was very thankful to have been told. You watch someone you love suffering so, and then while you are hurting for them and trying to help, have them turn on you, accuse you of trying to destroy them and then violently attack you for "revenge" because they are so sure you deserve it-- all the while you know that they cannot help themselves-- do not understand that something is wrong with their thinking and perceptions.

The tranquilizer dart gun does have its appeal.

Related to that: Borderline Personality Disorder is a NEW disorder. As I understand it, looking over decades of them, there does not seem to be case histories matching the symptoms now used to diagnose until relatively recently.

One theory is that the new symptoms and new disorders are cropping up as failed attempts to adapt to intolerable modern social situations-- situations which have not existed before recent times.

I'm hoping to hear more on such research.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join