It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many is enough? 8th DUI?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Okay, I chose this forum because it's the political mindset and utter madness of our approach to criminal justice that made this whole situation happen. If mods feel a better place exists, feel free to move it.

Meet Albert Diaz:

His photo is a little blurry here, but don't worry, so was he. He's been arrested on his 8th drunk driving offense. It would seem our drunk friend here has even pushed so far as to have a lifetime suspension and yet still must drink and drive.

State Police arrested 52-year-old Albert Diaz Wednesday night in front of Chelsea High School after a Trooper witnessed him allegedly committing several driving violations in Revere.
I hate it when that happens..and right in front of a cop too.

State Police later found out that Diaz had already had his license suspended for life over previous OUI violations.

Diaz was arraigned in Chelsea District Court Friday. He is being held without bail until a dangerousness hearing on November 30.
Source Article

Okay, now I am not sure what a 'dangerousness' hearing might be, but I certainly hope it has something to do with felony convictions and MANY MANY years in a sober cell, far far from alcohol and bar stools. Perhaps this approach should have been considered his 3rd..or 4th...or 7th...time? Why wait till the 8th? I wonder.. will criminal justice work it's magic if he gets out this time and actually KILLS a few people next time? Do bodies have to lay in the street before a menace to society like this is REMOVED from society?

Madness comes when a drug dealer in Florida can get a 25yr Mandatory minimum for selling a few ADHD or Pain pills out of prescription, but animals like this can risk countless lives directly in their drunken haze again..and again..and again and YET AGAIN with little to nothing THEY care about being done to them. Enough is Enough and that attitude must carry far beyond the International and national political headlines and events. These little things right on our own streets need handled too...and NOT with the bleeding heart lefty touch, either.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
You are absolutely right.

Why put him in jail and waste that space? Let's just stone him to death and be done with it. Good riddance!

It's not like alcoholism is a disease or anything. Jeesh, get a grip you pathetic drunks.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Agreed.I hope this person is finally put away before he kills somone.Justice delayed is justice denied.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I know a man that lives less than 10 miles from my house that has had over a dozen DUIs and even killed a little girl in a wreck while he was driving drunk and he still has his DL. Now that is messed up.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

not here in Canada. Drinking and driving have really strict guidelines. >21 MUST have 0.0% BAC at all times.(drinking age is 19. i think.) a friend got caught drinking and driving, had his licence suspended for a few months. and after that it was mandatory that he install a breathalyzer into the ignition of his truck. has to blow in it for it to start. he'll lose it for good if hes caught driving ANY other vehicle. (i wonder if he can drive golf carts or lawnmowers)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
You are absolutely right.

Why put him in jail and waste that space? Let's just stone him to death and be done with it. Good riddance!

It's not like alcoholism is a disease or anything. Jeesh, get a grip you pathetic drunks.

There is a point where treatment may be appropriate, but it must come in a prison infirmary and far from the outside world a person has become a direct threat to. By the 4th or 5th time, I'd say this man posed a menace to all those in the world around him. Now by the 8th, it's simply a miracle he hasn't achieved a body count to go with his arrest record.

I'm as realistic as anyone about Alcohol and some drugs having a physical side to the addiction that is brutal beyond words to someone whose never seen someone going through the DT's, for instance. What does his addiction have to do with driving though? He can drink himself stupid and pickle himself into the grave. It's a free country and his right to do so as a free man. His right ends abruptly when his behavior endangers others though...and he's made a lifetime career out of endangering others. Time to remove him, physically, from society as a whole....in my humble opinion.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
We're going to see more and more people "self medicating" to a point where they are a danger to themselves and others. The trend will continue as long as our solutions are "lock em up and throw away the key! **ping**" (That was the sound of your wad hitting the spitoon.)

People need help, not to be warehoused. Perhaps if we started taking drug and alcohol offenders out of the regular, for profit system, and instead created in patient facilities to treat drug use (like the mental facilities they have for convicts with emotional or psychological problems), instead of treating them like garbage, we'd be taking a step in the right direction toward reducing the problem. I'm not saying let the guy walk free - but "punishment" accomplishes nothing other than making the vindictive, short sighted people feel like they got something out of it.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
He should be put in jail. ANyone who is drun k driving should go to jail, no question, whether they had an accident or not. Doesn't matter if no one got hurt, and no property was damaged. They MIGHT hurt someone.

ANyone who owns a gun should also go to jail immediately for attempted murder. After all, they MIGHT hurt someone.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I know I have a rather unpopular view on this subject and I'm ready to get flamed, but...

I honestly don't think DUI should be a crime on its own. I know it is dangerous and kills many people every year.

However, if no people or property are harmed then I have a very difficult time separating a DUI arrest from pre-crime. The individual is arrested for having the POTENTIAL to commit a real crime.

Secondly, the people you most need to worry about probably have no regard for the law anyway, so DUI laws don't really address the root problem.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Second offense in my opinion establishes that addiction is present as it clearly overides a sense of personal safety and safety toward others. Second offense should be an automatic stay in a rehab and counciling facility. Third...prison or house arrest. As the daughter of a substance abuser, I recognize that addiction is a disease and I personally believe that few people are beyond redemption nor beyond a chance at redemption but that doesn't mean the public at large should be subjected to the dangers on the road because of such persons.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by xenthuin

I know I have a rather unpopular view on this subject and I'm ready to get flamed, but...

I honestly don't think DUI should be a crime on its own. I know it is dangerous and kills many people every year.

However, if no people or property are harmed then I have a very difficult time separating a DUI arrest from pre-crime. The individual is arrested for having the POTENTIAL to commit a real crime.

Secondly, the people you most need to worry about probably have no regard for the law anyway, so DUI laws don't really address the root problem.

Interesting way to approach the subject. I wouldn't flame you for the opinion, but I definitely do disagree. You actually bring up two different points and they're both important. First though, I'll agree that DUI in and of itself is a truly victimless crime. Along those same lines though, target shooting my rifles in my backyard is victimless too. I know how to use railroad ties in layers to form a backstop no .223 or 9mm is going to penetrate with the best bullet on Earth. So...just because I live in a city, why can't I? Silencers are even legal with the right permits in Missouri now, so noise isn't the concern.

What does my rather absurd suggestion for target shooting have to do with this fool and his 8th DUI without a victim? In both cases, the person choosing the activity (shooting or driving drunk) is also choosing to put others at risk of injury or death. It's a calculated risk. Like you note, if a drunk takes the backroads..and no one does anything unexpected on the road, it can probably go on for years without incident. Is it fair that the drunk make that decision though? That would be why I can't target shoot in the middle of my city and drunks can't drive in that condition.

On your other point...the punishment for the first offense...perhaps even second, should be focused on treatment or rehabilitation as well as deterrence. Fair enough..... At the point of the 3rd stop, arrest, prosecution and process, I have to conclude someone just doesn't get it and probably never will. Then it isn't about punishment....but physical removal for the protection of society. The longer the better...without needing a physical victim first.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Well said... We will agree to disagree then! I certainly am against the act of DUI itself, as it seems everyone posting is.

In general I advocate for fewer laws, but harsher punishments for breaking the law.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Perhaps if we started taking drug and alcohol offenders out of the regular, for profit system, and instead created in patient facilities to treat drug use (like the mental facilities they have for convicts with emotional or psychological problems), instead of treating them like garbage, we'd be taking a step in the right direction toward reducing the problem.

Those already exist. A lack of facilities to treat people isn't the issue. Ignoring the cost of entering one, they don't work unless the person going through treatment wants to sober up, whether they are alcoholics or drug addicts. Someone who doesn't want to be sober isn't going to waste the money on entering a treatment facility that they won't get anything out of, and even someone who does want to clean up their act might not have the money for it. AA meetings will only get you so far without a thorough detox and complete change of behavior, and someone who doesn't want to change, won't.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I thought the "3 Strike" law was nationwide, guess it's not.

It should be mandatory in ALL states.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Perhaps they should have rehab prisons for second time offenders. And then long rehab prison stays for 3rd time+.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xenthuin

I believe that we can take this approach with substance abuse. But only if we can then, when (not if) the inevitable occurs, we don't bother with prosecution. Instant bullet and burial. That will be the ultimate "yes, you can do what you want with your body, but there are consequences if you screw up".

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

How many is enough?

I think ONE is too many.

Edit to add: I think the most DUI convictions by one person is 22.
edit on 27-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
It's 24 convictions in Quebec... this guy should be put to death...

24th impaired driving conviction

QUEBEC — An elderly man pleaded guilty today to his 24th charge of drunk driving in nearly a half-century.

Yvon Gingras also pleaded guilty to violating a court order forbidding him from driving a car.

Gingras' record for driving under the influence goes back to his first arrest for the crime in 1965.

The 67-year-old resident of St-Ubald, near Quebec City, asked to be released on bail in the current incident but he was refused.

The judge cited his lengthy record of driving while intoxicated.

Sentencing arguments will begin on Nov. 28.

Utter BS... I don't know why this guy is still out...

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
A friend of mine has a civil lawsuit win against a DUI driver. and the DUI driver will not pay.

The friend finely got a court order that seizes any car that this DUI driver is caught driving.
The car is then sold at sheriff's auction and the money goes to my friend.

The DUI driver has money to buy cars and register them in fake names but claims not to have money to pay the court judgement against him.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
drinking an driving is a very careless and potentially harmful and destructive choice, however so is driving on pharmaceuticals which arent as easy to detect and normally not penalized. Also they are ushered in to the comfortably numb population by the very government who are opposing chemically alterd minds states. Very intresting...lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join