It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wales Football Manager Gary Speed Found Dead

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by planetdevildog

the same as music and computer games and every other forum type?

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by planetdevildog

Well if you don't like the topic go elsewhere. Quite obvious really.

A lot of the people posting in this thread grew up watching Gary Speed play, myself included, and that's why he's being discussed now. His death is a huge shock, particularly as no one, not even his close friends who spoke to him hours before, saw it coming. He already has a huge reputation in football not for just being a model professional on the pitch, which we clearly was, but for also being a model human being off it. If anything he thoroughly deserves to be discussed especially given the circumstances.

Those silly, idiotic comments from people who prefer to say what they really feel all the while hidden behind the safety of a computer monitor are reserved for the likes of GLP and youtube, not ATS. We're supposed to be better than that, sad as your comment isn't even the first like that in this thread. It really is sad to see that on ATS, especially when the discussion is on someone who has literally just died.

Even if this is someone you didn't know, give up on the sarcastic comments and show some respect..
edit on 28-11-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
How convenient that the BBC News has the Leveson Inquiry taking up at the top of their front page with regular updates, how perfect for Gary Speed to 'commit suicide' during the Leveson Inquiry, which in reality is about removing press freedom, so as the newspapers can't tell us what's really going on.

Any day now, they'll say "Gary Speed committed suicide because of what the press were about to release about his private life"

We live in sick and bizarre times!

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
This was very shocking... He had two young kids, was the Wales boss.... everything was going well.
He's a young man at 42.... seemed fine and in good spirits on Football Focus on Saturday.

I don't think anyone saw this coming.

I wonder if something will come out about it?

I wonder if there was a note?

I wonder is it was suicide?

RIP Gary Speed

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
When someone in the public eye dies, it appears to be customary to lavish praise and eulogise them, but the sincerity and unanimity of the words expressed in the tributes to Gary Speed strongly indicate that he was a genuinely top bloke.

Robbie Savage was clearly in a state of grief when he was interviewed on Radio 5 live, Iain Dowie sounded very upset on the news and obviously Shay Given was extremely distressed in the Villa game yesterday.

Also, people go on about how much football managers and coaches earn, as if that has any relevance to their mental well-being. While footballers have extreme material wealth, they are just as likely to have emotional and personal problems as the rest of us.

RIP.

edit on 28-11-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Agreed,Well said!

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
alright to sum it up
why i think this was suspicious

1 he didnt have ANY mental health problems as we know off
2he was a very succesfull guy and trainer had two kids seemed to be doing just fine
had big plans for the future including the soccer team he was coaching
3 if u wanted to kill urself would u do it by hanging ursellf? a pill wouldn be easier?
have u got any idea how hard that is,hanging urselff?
the possibility of u eating throug a straw the rest of ur life or in a coma ?
4 no suicide note ,nice thing for ur kids ,kinda weird cuz he was, or seemed a really nice human being
i could go on but just one more thing
two referees also tried to commit suicide this weak
coincedence? it COULD be but it IS weird

also do u remember the huge buy off scandal including prime serie a clubs referees etc and then a few weaks later the whole thing never happenned
one word
MOB

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
For starters RIP Gary Speed, I grew up watching him play and he was a very talented footballer.

He was one of the characters that lead a very low key life style he was never as far as I am aware in the news for the wrong reason, by all accounts he worked very hard to be a good footballer and he was extremely liked all round, he was a model footballer, a constant professional by all accounts.

This gets me to my point, depression really? Yes I concede he commited suicide that is a fact the police have confimed it but the reason why, maybe we will never know and it will go down in history as another conspiracy.

I am no expert on depression but I have taken the time to read up on it and the fact that not one person in his life has said he showed any signs of depression at all, the day before he was making plans, talking about his kids, discussing the future of the welsh team enthusiastically, something does not feel right to me..

Depression does not take hold over night and it does not make someone kill themselves instantly, there is usually a gradual deterioration in character, Depressed men are less likely than women to acknowledge feelings of self-loathing and hopelessness. Instead, they tend to complain about fatigue, irritability, sleep problems, and loss of interest in work and hobbies. Other signs and symptoms of depression in men include anger, aggression, violence, reckless behavior, and substance abuse, not one friend or colleague has seen any signs of this..loss of interest in work why appear on a football show if you intend to hang yourself a few hours later, why have photos snapped with fans outside the recording studios...

This is a man that had a glittering football playing career, had a lovely wife and two children, lived very comfortably, had two sons that were about to kick start there own careers, he turned welsh football around and gelled the team, was very highly respected and liked amongst the players, last year he won an MBE from the queen, so what was the trigger that sent him over the edge, we may never know..???????

A good page on depression:

Understanding depression

He was of strong character, a devout family man and if I had to give my opinion iit would be this:

Dutiful suicide is an act of fatal self violence at one's own hands done in the belief that it will secure a greater good, rather than to escape harsh or impossible conditions. It can be voluntary, to relieve some dishonor or punishment, or imposed by threats of death or reprisals on one's family or reputation.

For anyone that does not know how good he was here is a tribute to the late, great Gary Speed.

edit on 28/11/2011 by nosmokinggun because: Added tribute

edit on 28/11/2011 by nosmokinggun because: typo

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by planetdevildog
hmmm, what does football have to do with ATS?
this is BTS, Below top secret, for topics which are just day to day mundane thing, it's been here for as long as i have. Many people follow sports, therefor many people will want to discuss sports and sports related news. Don't like it? Tough, quite frankly.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Leeds fans paid tribute to Gary Speed last night, by chanting his name for 11 minutes, from the 11th minute. Sterling stuff Leeds.

I seem to have a massive lump in my throat now.

Edit- with a nice little supprise at the end

edit on 30/11/2011 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I am really really not liking the way in which these roumers are going. If this man has taken his own life, over a sexuality issue, then such a great sadness will be added, to something already wreaked with sadness. Do we never learn from our mistakes?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

I am not liking these rumours either and if they are true, I think it would be the end for the paper involved, such would be the public backlash, I cant see this ever coming to light even if they are true as they would be very foolish to admit it. The more I hear though that is said from his friends and family about how this is so out of character and that they had no signs that anything was wrong, the more I am inclined to think the worst.

I think this will be one of those celebrity mysteries. I cant see us ever finding out the truth, I feel sorry for his family especially his children.. who may never have closure and understand why their father did what he did..

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

The Leeds fans were class lasnight.

RIP Speedo.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

lol that was classic.

they started off really enthusiastic, oh gary gary, gary gary gary speeed............

as the video went on you could tell in their voices they wanted to slap the guy who came up with this idea of chanting for 11 minutes, oh garrrryy......garryy (is it 11 minutes yet i am getting bored now i want to stop)
but they carried on out of respect for speed all be it you could tell they were losing the will to live.

and then when they finish, instantly after leeds score......... as though gary speed played a part in it from beyond.
everybody cheers and finds a new lease of life to carry on chanting gary speed enthusiatically again!

listen to the first part of the video then skip to about 8 minutes in, the difference in tone made me lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join