It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Russia Retaliate Against A NATO Incursion Into Syria?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I think if the Arab states act alone and try to enforce a "no fly zone" over Syria possibly using some of the "$60 billion worth of jet fighters and helicopters to Saudi Arabia in 2010", I think Russia won't get involved.

However, I am not sure what Russia would do if a NATO lead force flew out of Turkey. Russia definately cannot afford to look weak on the world stage and I believe China will instantly throw all it's wieght behind Russia.

What do others think?

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 26-11-2011 by TheMindWar because: typos, tipsy.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Saudi Arabia

One of the top 5 most backward countries on Earth, major discrimination against Women goes on there on a daily basis along with human rights violations.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
the situation with both US and Russian fleets heading into Syrian waters makes me think we're heading for a big escalation. it has to be more than just for humanitarian reasons that such heavy weights are bringing in their guns. this must be about who will control the new world economy getting ready to be hatched.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Saudi Arabia

One of the top 5 most backward countries on Earth, major discrimination against Women goes on there on a daily basis along with human rights violations.

Descrimination? They treat women worse than rats. I'm surprised their men are even getting any. You treat a woman like crap inthe U.S. she will tell all her friends and thats the end of your sex life. Their women need to learn the power of punani.
edit on 26-11-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Bigger question: Will there be a NATO incursion into Syria?

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! For the millionth time!!!!!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by hab22

There is a visable presence of the US near Syrian waters but I can tell you right now there are absolutely NO Russian fleets let alone one single Russian naval vessel anywhere near Syrian waters.

IF NATO starting dropping their famous "humanitarian" bombs over Syria, no...Russia will NOT come to the aid of Syria at all.

Don't believe everything you read in MSM. Most of it is a load of crap anyhow.
edit on 26-11-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Russia won't be intervening until they are finished with their military expansion efforts
en.rian.ru...
oilprice.com...
rt.com...

There are many links that I could spend all day posting, but the gist of it is this:
Russia is preparing to expand its sphere of influence in the eastern bloc and central Asia. It can't do it over night, and it won't do it anytime soon. Five years, yes. A few weeks, no.

Russia would not intervene on behalf of Syria, due to the fact that Russia is looking out for one dog in this fight (it starts with an R). Avoiding conflict while staying off the radar while increasing military spending is the way Russia is going to go. I guarantee it.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Puh-leeeez! If you dont give your man tha "pu-nanny" in the us, he will surely find it elsewhere!

On topic, things are heating up...

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by showintail
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Puh-leeeez! If you dont give your man tha "pu-nanny" in the us, he will surely find it elsewhere!

On topic, things are heating up...

Well not all. I was never like that. There are some women who can whoop a guy and have them doing anything they want. It goes the same way for women. If you don't take care of what you got they will go find someone else who will do your job for you.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by hab22

There is a visable presence of the US near Syrian waters but I can tell you right now there are absolutely NO Russian fleets let alone one single Russian naval vessel anywhere near Syrian waters.

IF NATO starting dropping their famous "humanitarian" bombs over Syria, no...Russia will NOT come to the aid of Syria at all.

Sorry mate, but there is a Russian naval base in Syria

As such, Russian ships would frequent this area

Russia has also sold many arms to Syria lately including anti shipping cruise missiles, and jet fighters.

Then of course there is the oil

Syria is the largest oil producing country in that region

I dont think there will be global conflict over this, but it will be another step closer

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
well its more than just saying ohh ima bakc russia.. it really depends. they might they might not....
well could spark off ww3 and let the u.s and international security assistance force go at both countries.. you never know

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Ummmm NO!!!! Its not there yet. Its planned and under construction (at best).

Originally posted by weirdguy

reply to post by hab22

Russia has also sold many arms to Syria lately including anti shipping cruise missiles, and jet fighters.

I dont think there will be global conflict over this, but it will be another step closer

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Ummmm NO!!!! Its not there yet. Its planned and under construction (at best).

Originally posted by weirdguy

reply to post by hab22

Ummmm YES!!!!! YES!!! YES!!!!

Presently, Tartus is the only Russian naval base far abroad; it consists of two monobuoys, floating workshop, storages, barracks, and various logistic assets.

Naval today.com

from last year

"One of the purposes of the deployment of Bastion missile systems in Syria is to ensure the protection of the Russian naval site in Tartus," said Igor Korotchenko, head of a Moscow-based think tank on the international arms trade.

The Soviet-era naval maintenance site near Tartus is Russia's only military foothold in the Mediterranean. Russia plans to modernize the facility to accommodate large warships, including missile cruisers and even aircraft carriers after 2012.

en.rien.ru

The importance of Russia’s operations in the Mediterranean is greatly underlined by the Syrian naval base of Tartus that is being modernized by Russia. Russia has plans to base capital ships in Tartus, such as cruisers and aircraft carriers, which could circumvent the Dardanelles and thus the Montreux treaty that limits their navigation from the Black Sea into the Mediterranean

here's another one for you

Maybe you would like to read what the Russians are talking about

The Russian warships were reported to be heading towards the Syrian port of Tartus, where Russia has a naval base. A source close to the Syrian President said the Russian ships would patrol Syrian waters “to prevent any military interference”. Media reports said the ships may try to intercept small vessels that are smuggling weapons for Syrian opposition from the Lebanon and Turkey.

Russiadefence.englishboard

nah nah

edit on 27-11-2011 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I don't believe Russia has the 'nads' to retaliate against either NATO or the US in the event they strike Syria for it's use of chemical weapons on it's own people. Only an insane leader believes that they can win a massive nuclear exchange. Kind of like two gunfighters with their pistols pointed at each other's temples, then when they are both brain dead, assuming they survive at all, arguing about who won the gunfight? Anyone that thinks such a thing is winnable is either completely wacko (due to brain damage or a genetic defect) or has been indulging in massive amounts of mind altering substances? Maybe whatever is left of either country can survive, but I think once the reality sinks in then both sides will realize that NOBODY won and the horrible consequences will be with the survivors for many, many generations! While because of human treachery war is at times the only solution, it's a sad waste of resources and human lives! If man put forth his efforts towards peaceful pursuits and technologies to solve problems like starvation or diseases like cancer, we would be so much the better for it! I am not a pacifist, just practical. War will exist as long as human treachery exists cause good people cannot sit idle while the evil ones amongst us victimize the innocent.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Wasn't there a famous open mic video where our president is assuring his Russian counterpart that he will have more flexibility after election ?
Still we are not sure what he meant, looks like if Congress says no, our president wont attack and Russia will look like a winner.
To answer OP's question, no. Russia doesn't have to retaliate against NATO, because NATO fell apart after UK Parliament voted no on Syrian incursion.

top topics

join