It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Has Fattest Women in Europe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
The thing is, what is Fat? Is it anyone whos a few pounds over size zero? Is it someone who is of average size? Is it someone who's a little bit chubby? Is it someone who is a bit overweight? Or is it someone who is obese?

These days, people are so conditioned through the media to think women should look like emaciated little boys that anyone who doesn't look like that are classed as fat.

I'm not strictly talking about the article here, i'm talking about peoples perceptions.

Edit:

Why is the article just concentrating on Women? What about the overweight Men? Is it more socially acceptable to be an overweight Man than it is a Woman? If so, why?

edit on 26-11-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
It's a sorry state of affairs, when we have illness's in the west from eating too much food. We have operations, the gastric band, to make peoples stomachs smaller so they cant continue to eat themselves to death. meanwhile millions around the world starve to death. Massive fail on behalf of the human race.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
reply to post by -W1LL

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a correlation there or a correlation with the levels of poverty, since the poorest generally have easy access to the worst food.

I have been noticing people (and especially women) gaining pounds in my neck of the woods since the arrival of fast food places that undercut everyone else and swamp the place with glitzy marketing.

You are dead wrong!

The main problem is lack of exercise! And other problems all lead back to lack of exercise!

I have a McDonalds every day, I STILL HAVE A SIX PACK! How you may be thinking? Simple, moderate/hard work and general activity through-out the day. I don't sit on my ass watching T.V, snacking choco bars and crisps!

Another problem (which obese people and un-educated teenage girls think is actually a cure) are DIETS! Low calorie diets! They are the devil. If you want a thyroid or other metabolic problem go on a low calorie diet! There is no way on gods green earth anyone can eat at a huge caloric deficit for life. In the end, you give in, binge, pile the weight back on with a little extra for tax, thats how your body works! This starts a YoYo effect which carries on throughout ones life.

Put a little weight on > diet back down > eat normal, put weight on with extra > diet back down > eat normal, put weight on with even more.

Does that look familiar to anyone?

Exercise the weight off and eat NORMALY! There should be no need to go on a LOW CALORIE DIET.

I have no sympathy for Overweight people that can but won't do anything about there situation and just want to take the easy way out (which rarely works)

Get down and give me 25!

Oh and here is a question.:

I have a Big Mac and you have 100g whole wheat penne and 1 standard sized plain skinless chicken breast. Who will put on more weight?

They have the same amount of calories! infact 150g of Pasta will have more calories and sugar than any McDonalds Burger. Do you know what 150g of dry pasta looks like? Go and weigh some and you will be surprised!

edit on 26-11-2011 by tommyboytml because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

If third would countries can get at least 1/4 of the food fat people eat then I think that would solve a lot of problems as far as losing weight and fighting starvation.
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Really???? Wow, how insulted do i feel.

Do you not think that in some 3rd world countries, people prefer to not over eat? Please do no generalize like this.

vvv

I think you misunderstood VVV he is saying that the over eaters here in the could send their extra food over to third world countries..

Exactly. There are people out there that barely get a dollar's worth of food a day and then we have countries that are fat beyond some animals weight. If we can share the food rather then hoarding it then we would have some balance between obese and thin people.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by tommyboytml

You have a McDonalds every day huh? And still have a six pack?

Wow, good for you.

You do realise that regardless of you still being all trim because you exercise, you have no idea what that daily Maccy D's is doing to your insides.

Mmmm nutritious. I'm guessing you are quite young? Wait 'til you get older.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Doing to my insides?

I will guarantee my insides are better than yours! Generally your outside appearance is a manifestation of how healthy your insides are!

So tell me what a daily McDonalds is doing to my insides? I have low cholesterol, low blood pressure. I am fit and healthy. I can run further and faster than you. I can lift more than you and i look better than you!

What are you talking about?

I get my nutrition from other sources. I eat near enough 2 bowls full of green veg a day, mainly broccoli or spinach! Next your going to tell me all the fat in this McDonalds is unhealthy right? Wrong!

Read my friend. Go to a bodybuilding forum and read!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

You've proved my point on being quite young.

And i'm not talking about just the fat. I'm talking about all the nasties they add to make it taste so yummy

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Haha

And what are those then?

Can't be any worse than canned foods where the inside of the tin is laden with chemicals which seep into the food. Even the water you drink is full of female hormones and all sorts. The bread and veg you eat was sprayed with chemicals. The meat and eggs you eat probably has traces of clenbuterol or some other Steroid or hormone. Can you really be sure your avoiding any nasties these days, no matter what your eating?

You only live once, i like McDonalds and i look good. So what?

I thought we was discussing Obesity any way...

And what are your vices?

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I used to be overweight myself you're right its not easy its a work in progress so I applaud your efforts in fighting the fight

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Additives, preservitives. All those lovely E-numbers and things like MSG and Aspartame.

It's true you can't avoid everything, but it's best to avoid the worst offenders.

You're better off making your own burgers and fries than eating at McDonalds everyday.

Edit:

To add to the obesity discussion

Obesity In 2008, a collaboration between American and Chinese researchers found a positive statistical association between MSG intake and obesity in humans: Prevalence of overweight was significantly higher in MSG users than in non-users

Source

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Yes you better off making your own. If you have your own cow! I like McDonalds its tastes far better than any burger i could make. I don't care about MSG and E numbers they are everywhere. The reason you think MD's is so bad is because thats what you are told. The truth is these E numbers and MSG are all over the place.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
seriously everybody blames fast foods burgers and fries what about all the other junk that is in a household fed to kids cereals pastas noodles chips bread cordials all the store made sauces fast food the body can handle most of the time its the cool drink partic the low cal and refined food and a reliance on carbs for nutrition thats the bigger problem

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by nilrem

Carbs are ok! People just need to know when to eat them

If i was sedentary then i would only get them from greens.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Yeah, you're young now but wait until your metabolism slows down and you've got kids and a full time job, let's see how dedicated to the gym you are then. Hehe, you're giving out health advice and at the same time telling people there's nothing unhealthy about Crapdonald burgers, amazing. When I was younger I ate what I wanted and never even exercised and still remained ultra trim, that was down to youth. I'm not sure how you've got the balls to come on here preaching that people are just lazy without even knowing the circumstances of those people, it only reeks of arrogance or at best naivety.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawkwind.

Let me guess you have a thyroid?

Oh and i am 30 by the way

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Nope I don't and 30 is still quite young. I'm 40 and have a little bit of a belly, only slight but it's there, I know I can get rid of it if I was really bothered but I'm okay with it. I'm in a situation where I could go to the gym and keep fit but there are many, many others who can not and it's nothing to do with being lazy.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Once upon a time, people used to spend time cooking thier meals from fresh.

These days because people seem to think they have no time to cook and eat properly. They rely on convenience foods.

Ready made frozen and (allegedly) fresh foods. Ready made sauces, ready made gravies, ready made this and ready made that. Packed full of Additives and Preservitives to make them taste better and to make them last longer.

If you look at the ingredients to these foods, you will notice that they are packed full of crap. MSG, Aspartame, Trans Fats, Fructose Corn Syrup and many more.

The worst offenders are the foods marketed to dieters. You know the ones, "5% this" "Diet that" These are the worst of all because they are so bland and tasteless they have to add all these nasty ingredients just to make the meal or drink taste good.

This is the problem. Of course for some there is serious lack of exercise. But these foods are not helping. They are actually making things worse.

Somewhere along the line, most people lost thier ability to tell what foods are good and bad for them and their children. Why is that? What changed? i think this is what we should be looking at. People need to be re educated rather than ridiculed. But if people are re educated a lot of big food businesses would be out of pocket.

Some people like to make fun of Jamie Oliver, but when he done his School Dinners programme here in the UK. It was actually quite frightening what the kids are fed in schools and also, the lack of knowledge about where half the food they eat comes from. Most kids didn't even know where vegetables come from.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy

These days because people seem to think they have no time to cook and eat properly. They rely on convenience foods.

That's true and I don't know if it's only me who feels like this but it also seems really expensive to eat healthily, fresh veg and meat in the U.K isn't cheap and getting the kids to eat it can be a friggin nightmare.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawkwind.

I know that there are many who cannot!

I am talking about people who moan about being over weight and do nothing about it when they can.

Go and read my posts again before jumping on your horse.

There is no easy fix for weight loss, you do it the hard way or you forever end up in the cycle of dieting and then adding it back with more.

Simple as that!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.

Originally posted by skitzspiricy

That's true and I don't know if it's only me who feels like this but it also seems really expensive to eat healthily, fresh veg and meat in the U.K isn't cheap and getting the kids to eat it can be a friggin nightmare.

Yes, and why is that i wonder.

Why is all the food that is bad for you cheap and why is all the stuff that is good for you expensive?

Hmmmm, Conspiracy?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join