It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Russia Preparing For War As There Defense Ministry Announces Large Millitary Upgrades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

This morning, the Xinhua News Agency and RIA Novosti bothcited reports from the Russian business daily Vedomosti that the Russian government plans large increases in defense spending by 2013. According to RIA Novosti, Russian defense spending will increase by 60 percent, to more than 2 trillion rubles ($66.3 [billion]) by 2013 from 1.264 trillion ($42 [billion]) in 2010. The spending will be spread out over three years. The largest increase will occur in 2013, when the budget is expected to jump by 500 billion rubles ($16.6 billion). According to RIA Novosti Konstantin Makiyenko from the Russian Center for Analysis of Strategies and Technologies (CAST) told the paper that the government is likely to spend more on the Navy, as well as the aviation and space industries. The Russians have planned expensive modernizations in these sectors. and are reported to have allocated funding for a variety of new naval vessels and aircraft. In the naval arena, the increased funds will go towards a whole scale modernization of Russia’s aging submarine and Black Sea fleets, including new Yasen and Borei class submarines, Bulava submarine-launched ballistic missiles, three new Talwar class frigates, three Improved Kilo class subs and up to four Mistral class amphibious assault ships. The Russian government plans to purchase two of the Mistral class amphibious assault ships/helicopter carriers from France and acquire the license to build two more of the vessels domestically. While the announcement of the Mistral class purchases is not new, they will likely continue to provoke worries in the United States and in NATO. When details of the specific purchase emerged earlier this month, the BBC explained that
From Center for Strategic and International Studies csis.org...

Is Russia preparing for War , with so many military upgrades especially aircraft and there President making comments to the nation about Russia reserving the right to back out of several current Arms treaties with the US It certainly Looks like they are at the very Least making a solid stand that they are not pleased with the Wests actions in the Middle East and Near Russia’s Borders over the past few years .Also for the Russian President to state to the Russian People that the are putting there Early Defense Radar Systems on Combat Alert . Add that to the large amount Of Modern Air Craft that the Russians have been and are continuing at purchase and build , in very high numbers ..

Russia planning to spend 80 billion rubles ($2.65 billion) on 60 Su-family fighter jets starting 2010, and buy 26 MiG-29K Fulcrum-D carrier-based fighter jets, with the expected contract estimated at about 25 billion rubles (more than $828 million), a military aircraft plant manager told the paper. The plans also include the purchase of 32 Su-34 Flanker fighter bombers under the 2008 contract (a single plane then cost more than 1.1 billion rubles ($36.4 million), he said.
Quoted from CSIS csis.org...

Also they are buying a large quanity of The Su-35S that are Russia’s advanced “Generation 4++” fighter.Along with several other Modern aircraft that are meant to stand agianst are F-22s

Su-35S fighter The Russian Air Force will take delivery of about 90 new or modernized fixed and rotary wing aircraft in 2012, a Defense Ministry spokesman said on Tuesday. The Air Force will receive up to 10 Su-34 Fullback fighter-bombers, about 10 Su-25SM Frogfoot attack fighters, and an unspecified number of Su-35S Flanker-E multirole fighters, Col. Vladimir Drik said. The Su-35S is Russia’s advanced “Generation 4++” fighter. New acquisitions will also include over 20 attack helicopters, such as the Mi-28N Night Hunter and the Ka-52 Alligator, as well as “highly modernized” Mi-35 Hind helicopters. The Air Force will also receive about 30 Mi-8 transport and five Mi-26T heavy lift helicopters.

Quote From [url=http://siteground243.com/~hiram155/2011/11/23/russia-prepares-for-war-with-west-as-defense-ministry-announces-unprecedented-airforce-acquisitions /]http://siteground243.com/~hiram155/2011/11/23/russia-prepares-for-war-with-west-as-defense-ministry-announces-unprecedented-airforce-acquisitions/[/ url]

The Su-35S is Russia’s advanced “Generation 4++” fighter.

edit on 25-11-2011 by essanance because: Link Broken

edit on 25-11-2011 by essanance because: Spelling

edit on 25-11-2011 by essanance because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Well they are definitely nervous about the missle defense system going up in Romania. I dont think anybody has NOT been preparing for WW3 since WW2. Think of it this way: If another person was trying to take away your way to defend yourself, you would be a little nervous too. They are just getting ready for the inevitable. Afterall, they have a LONG way to go to catch up with the US.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I think I'm going to drag out my old copy of Dr. Strangelove tonight, just for poops-n-piddles.

Me and Stanley and Peter and a couple quarts of beer . . . and Vera Lynn . . .

It'll be like looking into the future.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Russia has no chance..
I hate how ATS members buff them up...Russia is simply just flexing.

Nothing will happen.

If an ATS member say something about military action will happen on a large scale..it most likely WON"T happen.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by essanance

Not good, not good at all. But it's not just Russia thats building up, China also and in the mean time whats obama doing cutting military spending all thanks to his staged "Super Committee" how he knew would never come to an agreement in turn gutting the military.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321

Not good, not good at all. But it's not just Russia thats building up, China also and in the mean time whats obama doing cutting military spending all thanks to his staged "Super Committee" how he knew would never come to an agreement in turn gutting the military.

Why isnt it good?

Russia isnt the one going around attacking countries left, right and center.

They have a right to upgrade their defences in direct response to threatening behaviour by Nato and the US with their Missile Shield and given the Wests behaviour in the past decade, you'd be stupid to not upgrade your military.

And cutting US military spending not good...FFS.....everyone knows how much the US spends on their military, a 20% cut is still going to keep them a long way above any one else in terms of military expenditure.

If everyone only worried and gave a damn about their own backyard the world would be a better place.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rationalistswagger

In the end i think i agree with this however they could cause a hell of alot of chaos and damage to our infrastructure ..In the end we would smash them of the face of the Earth , I was curious what others thought I think to its just Flexing to get us to back off ..However if we continue to escalate i think Russia may just push this further .

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Sounds like Armageddon is coming. Otherwise known as WWIII. Truthfully though, WWIII started 10 years ago but the worst hasn't gottne here yet. When the worst gets here 3/4 of earths population is going to die. That war will make all the combined wars in human history added onto WWI and WWII look like a mousefart compared to Hiroshima.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

AGreed in the end its all ready known who would win the question is ...Are we ready to force Russia into a conflict over Iran , Space Based weaponry and our Missile Defense shield ...Our might we go back to the bargaining table , as thats what i think Russia is hoping for , i feel however we will not back down and Russia may be pushed into a bad spot . They will not accept that they are not a World Power and I think thats A BIG BIG part of this , Russia wants to be scene as the other big kid on the playground but its just not that way ...

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia

If everyone only worried and gave a damn about their own backyard the world would be a better place.

You hit the NAIL on the head

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I'll put it to you this way. If you see a missle falling from the sky, hit your knees and pray because youre about to get vaporised in a few seconds.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Stealth bombers take out Russia's missile defence, RAF and USAF take out Russian navy, obviously with both British and American navy, SAS/SBS Seals and Delta force infiltrate Russia's defences and mark key russians communication and logistics vital to supplying the Russian army with food/ammo and data, RAF and USAF take out targets then the British and American army can do the rest.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Krono

Well put and thinking of it this way does seem cut and dry .

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I don't know why I keep reading how easy the US and NATO would take out Russia.

Russia is not Iraq or Afghanistan, they have a modernized military and air force, don't forget those submarines armed with ICBM's that could be parked off the Maryland shoreline

Russia's air force is pretty good, and could potentially deter any aerial campaign launched by the "allies"

Most wars that have been fought against the cave dwellers in Iraq and Afghanistan have been won because of the air superiority of the US.

Take away the skies and the US and NATO would need to attack Russia on the ground, and that ain't going to be pretty.
edit on 11/25/2011 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
I don't know why I keep reading how easy the US and NATO would take out Russia.

Russia is not Iraq or Afghanistan, they have a modernized military and air force, don't forget those submarines armed with ICBM's that could be parked off the Maryland shoreline

Russia's air force is pretty good, and could potentially deter any aerial campaign launched by the "allies"

Most wars that have been fought against the cave dwellers in Iraq and Afghanistan have been won because of the air superiority of the US.

Take away the skies and the US and NATO would need to attack Russia on the ground, and that ain't going to be pretty.
edit on 11/25/2011 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

Russia, is a hard country to conquer have some people here not studied history?. Napoleons and Hitler armies, didn't get on too well did they!! It ended very badly in the end for the invading forces.

I also think, the Russian people are made of strong stuff, more hardy, then the american population would be My opinion only.

I honestly think the Russians people civilian and military are more able then people think to fight the States on all fronts , mark my words.Here's hoping it never happens though.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Many think WWIII winable?Once warheads start flying i think it will be over in minuits.With no winner.We had our warnings at Hiroshima/Nagasagi.Who hasnt seen the footage of the so called survivors there?I,for one,would favor instant vaporization to slow radiation poisoning.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Muse is 100% correct that Russia is not afghanistan which the USA with all their air superiority has not conquered. Imagine US air power under attack and not 100% effective. I am not saying that the USAF will be neutralized, I am saying that S-400/S-500 SAM systems will give them a limited operating envelope. If we cannot conquer a bunch of opium farmers how will be conquer a bunch of winter hardy battle hardy people who have extreme pride in their nation. It is laughable that the posters on here think that the USA will have an easy time in a conventional war with Russia. Heck US soldiers call for air support every time they start to lose the battle. Imagine the situation when the air support is engaged in battle and cannot provide support for ground troops. It is amazing the ignorance being spread around here. The S-300 has RCS capable tracking of 0.02 sq/meter at an unclassified range. Guess what the B-2's RCS is 0.02 RCS. That aircraft is the backbone of the US SEADS and can be taken out. Next generation systems of Tor also incorporate optical tracking which the B-2 cannot hide from, and yes these are not afghanistans opium farmers. The USA has been in Afghanistan for 10 years, what makes you think the USA can take on Russia? Bunch of ignorance..

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

The upgrades and changes going on in Russia's military are not directly related to the recent events of the ABM installations in Europe. This is simply a much needed and long overdue upgrade, that has been in the plans ever since Russia's budget and finances got brough into good order in early 2000's. The plans are far reaching, and call for new equipment and changing to military structure and even doctrine that will continue well into 2030's. Russia can afford it now, and few will argue that it doesn't need to upgrade. While much of the equipment they have that is from the 80's is of decent quality and capability, time is still taking a major toll on the hardware.

Also the fact that the US military budget never really took the expected huge dip after the end of the Cold War, has both Russia and China concerned. Even if US is not a direct threat to them, they cannot afford to sit idling.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
So does it boil down to Russia trying to make sure they have the teeth to still be a payer on the world stage >

top topics

join