It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

spiritual experience vs. mental illness - how do you know?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 85303

my experience is, that there is one spirit or guide that misleads and another that corrects the other, but not always in time, so the "wrong way" of thinking or doing sometime goes for a while. i am still not sure, if its both one spirit or two. sometimes its like a one spirit "show", but one of these or, if its only one decides nearly everything, maybe everything. it decides, when you fall in love, when you get sick, probably when you die, too. thats my impression.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by 85303

my experience is, that there is one spirit or guide that misleads and another that corrects the other, but not always in time, so the "wrong way" of thinking or doing sometime goes for a while. i am still not sure, if its both one spirit or two. sometimes its like a one spirit "show", but one of these or, if its only one decides nearly everything, maybe everything. it decides, when you fall in love, when you get sick, probably when you die, too. thats my impression.

My problem with that thought is the lack of control. you cant control a "guide", but i sure as hell can convince myself to think differently. that works both ways. it couldn't be spirits other than my own.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 85303
reply to post by cloudyday

I know exactly what your talking about.
I have two personality disorders, not diagnosed, diagnosis is for the wealthy apparently.
i don't know if i believe anything.

either i saw some messed up visions from the future (Armageddon?) when i was a child, or i experienced something terrible either way, what happened was my minds way of coping. my mind split in two. i believe both, but can't surrender completely to one belief. i just watch as these things i dreamed about years ago happen on the news. laugh at myself and call myself crazy.

any thoughts?

Your location says Montreal, so have you been able to go to a psychiatrist? I thought medical care was affordable in Canada.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 85303

other-directed, thats the way i feel sometimes, directed by something non-human.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

an american living in canada.
not for fear of anything, my family is Canadian, so we are here.

healthcare is as corrupt here as in the states. its just more available.
just as unavailable to me.

i did try though. talked to a few therapists until they realized i couldn't make them any money.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

i did try though. talked to a few therapists until they realized i couldn't make them any money.

More available corrupt healthcare? That never makes it into the MSM...

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I've seen 6 different psychiatrists/psychologists/therapists. The three that seemed to help me were women, so maybe women are better. If you are able, I would keep trying therapists until you find one that works.
edit on 25-11-2011 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by 85303

other-directed, thats the way i feel sometimes, directed by something non-human.

i've felt the same way at one point. like some mad psychopathic sociopath was sending subliminal messages to try to manipulate me. i felt it was some important otherworldly thing, but the more i listened without fear the more i saw my own psychological scars hidden in the messages.

the human brain is very mysterious, especially when overpopulated

edit on 25-11-2011 by 85303 because: spell check

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

if they want to talk to a delusional disassociated antisocial personality then give them my email address.
[email protected]

i don't think i "need" it anymore, certainly not worth dealing with greedy self-centered therapists with personal issues.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
its already scientifically proven that religion is a disease based in the brain. but then again with metaphysics we do have to power of mind over matter. god doesn't exist, because the power is in our own minds.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

if they want to talk to a delusional disassociated antisocial personality then give them my email address.
[email protected]

i don't think i "need" it anymore, certainly not worth dealing with greedy self-centered therapists with personal issues.

I have felt the same way about therapists, but if you think about it almost everybody is greedy and self-centered with personal issues. We tell them personal things and then they probably giggle about us over drinks in the evening. But it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
This is how you know.
You read the books.

edit on 25-11-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

You can feel a deeply profound spiritual experience in your heart which agrees 100% with your mind

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rekrul
its already scientifically proven that religion is a disease based in the brain. but then again with metaphysics we do have to power of mind over matter. god doesn't exist, because the power is in our own minds.

Metaphysics doesn't mean anything to me. If it isn't physics then it is irrelevant to our existence. But I believe there are unknown things to discover in physics. I just hate the whole idea of metaphysics. The Catholics really like metaphysics, but I can't stand it. Makes me want to puke whenever I hear the word ontological.

edit on 26-11-2011 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday
So for people who are convinced their spiritual experiences are real, what convinces you? I was reading about schizophrenic delusions and those sound similar to my own experiences except that my experiences are brief and infrequent.

Those of us who have been gifted to stand in the glory of God know it is no schizophrenic delusion. Standing in the presence of God will have different reactions on different believers. Some will pass out which is called "being slain in the Spirit" which happens as God walks passed you and the joy and love you feel literally overloads your spirit and knocks you out.

When i stood in his presence i felt joy, love, awe, reverence and an unsurmountable peace overcome me and i hit my kneels and knelt in front of him in obeisance and cried tears of joy (and i'm a man and not very emotional). I literally felt like i was standing in the presence of my King even though i couldn't see him i could feel him there. There's alot of my brothers and sisters that have had similar reactions.

Some will speak in different languages, that sounds like gibberish but Apostle Paul said if there is no one to interpret the message they are better off staying silent because the message is wasted.

Some believers are gifted with Jesus appearing to them and this is scriptural and rare. This usually happens after a believer has been baptized in holy fire and Jesus may appear to these at some later point as a confirmation of their faith. I have never seen him but i have been baptized in holy fire

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

So for people who are convinced their spiritual experiences are real, what convinces you? I was reading about schizophrenic delusions and those sound similar to my own experiences except that my experiences are brief and infrequent.

Those of us who have been gifted to stand in the glory of God know it is no schizophrenic delusion. Standing in the presence of God will have different reactions on different believers. Some will pass out which is called "being slain in the Spirit" which happens as God walks passed you and the joy and love you feel literally overloads your spirit and knocks you out.

When i stood in his presence i felt joy, love, awe, reverence and an unsurmountable peace overcome me and i hit my kneels and knelt in front of him in obeisance and cried tears of joy (and i'm a man and not very emotional). I literally felt like i was standing in the presence of my King even though i couldn't see him i could feel him there. There's alot of my brothers and sisters that have had similar reactions.

Some will speak in different languages, that sounds like gibberish but Apostle Paul said if there is no one to interpret the message they are better off staying silent because the message is wasted.

Some believers are gifted with Jesus appearing to them and this is scriptural and rare. This usually happens after a believer has been baptized in holy fire and Jesus may appear to these at some later point as a confirmation of their faith. I have never seen him but i have been baptized in holy fire

My experiences have been different - even the experiences with a Christian theme. That is why I think they must have been some kind of schizophrenia-like condition that came and went. But unfortunately I remember them as reality even though I know they had to have been psychological.
edit on 26-11-2011 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

My experiences have been different - even the experiences with a Christian theme. That is why I think they must be some kind of schizophrenia-like condition that only lasts for a few minutes. As I read about schizophrenics it sounds very much like myself at times.

Well i don't know what to tell you. You would know if you stood in his presence, its not something you can debate or deny. When in his presence there will be no doubt as to whats happening to you.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
If someone was that worried about they could simply have a psychological evaluation performed to determine the presence of any sort of psychopathy. Done. Simple.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by followtheevidence
If someone was that worried about they could simply have a psychological evaluation performed to determine the presence of any sort of psychopathy. Done. Simple.

I don't think it's that simple - at least it has never been that simple for me when I've seen psychiatrists. I'm talking to a therapist about some other problems right now, and I did ask her about these apparent delusions. She just gave me this skeptical look like "o.k. where is that straight jacket". I decided to drop it, because I've been o.k. for a couple of years anyway.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join