It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Law professor resigns in disgust over colleague's email

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
reply to post by mishigas

Well I can't say I'm surprised at the responses. And although I disagree with many of them, I still welcome them, and any disagreement I have is NOT because I want to take away their right to free speech. Understand that? Because it's the exact argument that most of you are trying to make, with no success. I knew that would be the first rebuttal I received. But please, we can move past that, can't we? Most of us have graduated high school, haven't we?

Psssst. Not sure who you think you are or what you think you can do but you are in no position to take the right to free speech away from anyone here and I have yet to see anyone put you in that position you so desperately seem to want to occupy. That is such an oddly self important thing to write. I do not even see anyone trying to make that argument at all.

I cannot wait to hear you explain for yourself how you defend your position though as you have yet to do that.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Thanks for all your responses. If our country is ever attacked, please call a liberal professor to help you.

That is supposed to be funny, right?
See, when I was in college I had a professor that was very moved by 9/11. It was barely a few months later that he was going on and on about how something needed to be done about the Saudi Nationals that attacked us from NOT Iraq.
The millitary invaded Iraq.

Not sure how you think that makes the millitary look good right now.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
What a candy ass. I think we all have dealt with coworkers that we secretly fantasized about killing. It's one of those things you grin and bear in the real world. I'm not impressed with this guy at all. Quitting your job over something like this is beyond ridiculous. I think the other Professor is a jackass too, but the quitter gets no applause from me.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by KendraSins

Is it free speech you have a problem with or just liberal free speech?
If I had a nickel for every time some Johnny Commando cried out how they are over their protecting us over here and our freedoms, I would be far far richer. This is one soldier who can no longer say that. So what is he fighting for?

How is quitting the right move anyway?

"Sorry kids, no Christmas this year for you. I had to do something. Some guy at work said something that upset me."

Other than people like you, who keep trying to insert the straw man free speech argument, I don't see one conservative arguing that point.

And if you had bothered to objectively read his final words and thoughts here, you'd see that he doesn't seem too worried about making that choice. But that requires removing blinders before you read.
edit on 25-11-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Reply to post by mishigas

You know, if you people would grow a #ing pair and stop blaming liberals, this country would be a more tolerable place.

Are you so caught up in your boot-licking to where you can't respect that someone has a dissenting opinion on your beloved baby-killing shock troops?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Reply to post by KendraSins

Those same troops gave their lives so I could say what I want.

Besides, if the anti-liberal, anti-intellectual bottom-feeders on here had their way, there would be detainment camps for liberals.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Other than people like you, who keep trying to insert the straw man free speech argument, I don't see one conservative arguing that point.

Aside from the subject of your own thread that is?

you had bothered to objectively read his final words and thoughts here, you'd see that he doesn't seem too worried about making that choice. But that requires removing blinders before you read.
edit on 25-11-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

Coming from someone who apparently could not read and reply to a simple post? I read it. Not seeing your point.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
Reply to post by KendraSins

Those same troops gave their lives so I could say what I want.

Apparently not this one. This one gave no life and he sure as hell does not like you saying whatever you want to say. Hoo Rah!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

The professor certainly has the right to express his opinion. Our 4th amendment allows him that freedom. Of course that freedom is purchased in the blood of our soldiers who have fought for our freedoms over the last few hundred years.

Wat.

The Fourth Amendment (Amendment IV) to the United States Constitution is the part of the Bill of Rights which guards against unreasonable searches and seizures, along with requiring any warrant to be judicially sanctioned and supported by probable cause.

Link

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
The professor who resigned is an idiot. In this day and age, you have to know how to deal with it that other people are going to have views that piss you off. You can't just up and quit your job or do something similarly drastic every time someone says the wrong thing. Guess what: the world is full of people who do not think the way you think. That's life.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Our freedoms have been protected by our military. I don't think anybody really disputes that. What is disputed is whether that protection is past-tense or present-tense.

Does invading countries that had nothing to do with any attacks on our soil result in freedoms being protected?

If someone joins the military, is that person automatically a "hero" just because he or she follows orders? Even if the military is little more than a tool for corporate interests these days? Just because you're in a club that has an honorable past doesn't make you honorable. You have to contribute to keeping that history of honor current.

Every time the US Military obeys an immoral order, or fights for anything except the direct defense of our liberties against a clearly identified and realistically dangerous threat, their reputation as an honorable organization fades. Every soldier who does some terrible thing because "it's just military culture" or "I was following orders" is by definition a coward, not a hero.

And it makes no sense to blame only "the politicians who start these wars," as if the individuals in the military bear no responsibility for what they do. Given the choice between a court martial and bombing a hospital, we all know which choice a coward would make, and which choice a hero would make.
edit on 25-11-2011 by vexati0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

He can go join those senators that are calling for Americans to be locked up.

This is America. There will be people who disagree with you and they will speak up and you will have to suck it up and accept that. If you think soldier bashing on ATS is bad, liberal bashing is EVERYWHERE in this goddamn country!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by unworldly
The professor who resigned is an idiot. In this day and age, you have to know how to deal with it that other people are going to have views that piss you off. You can't just up and quit your job or do something similarly drastic every time someone says the wrong thing. Guess what: the world is full of people who do not think the way you think. That's life.

Ah yes- diversity of views! - well so long as they are anti-US, leftist views that is - other views are of course 'hatespeech' and must be zerotoleranced away.

Take Bill Ayers for instance, you know that 'chap in the neighbourhood' that Obama barely knew, the one who started his political career, wrote his book for him, gave him his first job.

Bill Ayers the radical revolutionary marxist terrorist - who now is a professor teaching your children.
The Weather Undergrounds views on diversity were, that after the revolution - they would need to execute some 25 million Americans who were likely to resist the re-education camps they planned.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JohhnyBGood

Connecting this to Ayers and Obama = Lame!

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I agree. The professor had every right to be disgusted by the open soliciting at his place of employment. I am 100% behind supporting the troops, but if I were bombarded with it at work everyday, I would be disgusted.

Professor Avery had every right to voice his opinion, and the other professor, serving overseas, seems to have over-reacted to the opinion of 1 colleague. You would think he would have a little thicker skin.

Blind support is just as dangerous and illogical as blind hatred.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Well I can't say I'm surprised at the responses. And although I disagree with many of them, I still welcome them, and any disagreement I have is NOT because I want to take away their right to free speech. Understand that? Because it's the exact argument that most of you are trying to make, with no success. I knew that would be the first rebuttal I received. But please, we can move past that, can't we? Most of us have graduated high school, haven't we?

Psssst. Not sure who you think you are or what you think you can do but you are in no position to take the right to free speech away from anyone here and I have yet to see anyone put you in that position you so desperately seem to want to occupy. That is such an oddly self important thing to write. I do not even see anyone trying to make that argument at all.

I cannot wait to hear you explain for yourself how you defend your position though as you have yet to do that.

I think you are so confused as to be lost in the wrong thread. All I said was that this was not a 1st amendment issue.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I fully disagree with the war, and I also fully disagree with your communication here. There is absolutely zero excuse to transpose the failed moral conduct of thieves in government onto those who would give their life so that their brothers and sisters might move forward.

Knowing active duty members of the military in many different branches, I can tell you that regardless of how much the government spends on the military, they do not directly support the troops in the same way that the USO, or private citizens do. This is part of the corruption of government. The soldier's place is not to question, but to serve (and we can learn much from this example), and the government abuses this service rather than honoring it.

That is not to say that servicemen and servicewomen should not be aware of politics and have opinions. That is to say that their job requires a certain suspension of personal view so that they can act as one unit and accomplish a goal. That said, their goal should certainly be able to magnify the glory of their actions, but should not also be able to taint the baseline of their motivations which is service (except in the most immediately apparent cases). We must isolate our dissatisfaction for corrupt politicians from our societal need for warriors.

More so and most important to this topic; It should be the people who declare war, because it is the people who value the warrior the most.
** Undeclared wars are a poison to life and that should cause our conduct to be molded towards government, but not toward warriors. **

Now if a warrior goes rogue and acts like a fool, that's another matter.
edit on 11/26/2011 by Dasher because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yes, I also agree with his freedom to voice inconsistent and imbalanced ideas. However, justifying his actions does not justify his justification.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Doesn't professor Avery have a point when he says:

"Why are we sending support to the military instead of Americans who are losing their homes malnourished, unable to get necessary medical care, and suffering from other consequences of poverty? As a university community, we should debate these questions, not remain on automatic pilot in support of the war agenda."

The defense budget and the war budget together are like a trillion dollars, right? The only trillions being handed out here stateside has been to banks as of late, take a look @:

www.bloomberg.com...

Doesn't the resignation speak volumes as to the truth of what I said? I mean if it is a "good fight", don't you give a "good fight"? He just resigned w/o really addressing the basic tenet of giving to the poor who need help in America. When did yellow become the new color of the Army reserve?

Please bring our troops home, the facade of the "War on Terror" has worn crazily thin. They are corporate warriors doing the bidding of our Corporate masters.

Derek

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohhnyBGood

Originally posted by unworldly

Ah yes- diversity of views! - well so long as they are anti-US, leftist views that is - other views are of course 'hatespeech' and must be zerotoleranced away.

Take Bill Ayers for instance, you know that 'chap in the neighbourhood' that Obama barely knew, the one who started his political career, wrote his book for him, gave him his first job.

Bill Ayers the radical revolutionary marxist terrorist - who now is a professor teaching your children.
The Weather Undergrounds views on diversity were, that after the revolution - they would need to execute some 25 million Americans who were likely to resist the re-education camps they planned.

Do not take this the wrong way but this is a really stupid thread to post this in. This thread has an actual example proving what you just said is wrong. What you provided is not even close to comparable and does nothing to prove what you just said.

Get it? This thread is proof that you are wrong from the OP on and you came in here and just lied and said the opposite is true without even making that case.

What would make someone do that?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join