It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Law professor resigns in disgust over colleague's email

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
This article illustrates the grip that liberal professors have on our colleges and universities in America today, as well as showing that there still are individuals of courage among us. It is by no means a 1st Amendment issue, for those who would divert the topic.

A New Hampshire lawyer, currently serving in Afghanistan, has resigned from his job as a law professor at a Massachusetts university after a colleague wrote in an email that sending care packages to U.S troops serving overseas was "shameful."

U.S. Army Reserve Maj. Robert Roughsedge, a Hampton resident, has resigned his position teaching law at Suffolk University in Boston, after a fellow professor, Michael Avery, sent out an email to university colleagues attacking the school’s efforts to collect and ship care packages to U.S. soldiers serving on foreign soil.

"I was disgusted, but not surprised," Roughsedge said in an email to the New Hampshire Union Leader from Afganistan. "Professor Avery is a radical."

Link

I salute Maj. Robert Roughsedge for expressing his disgust with not only Prof. Avery but the entire spineless administration of Suffolk University.

Fox News reported Avery wrote in his email, "I think it is shameful that it is perceived as legitimate to solicit in an academic institution for support for men and women who have gone overseas to kill other human beings. Why are we sending support to the military instead of Americans who are losing their homes malnourished, unable to get necessary medical care, and suffering from other consequences of poverty? As a university community, we should debate these questions, not remain on automatic pilot in support of the war agenda."

Roughsedge had been a member of the adjunct faculty at Suffolk University for eight years prior to his resignation, teaching a course on the law and how it relates to counter-terrorism efforts.

"When I saw the statements from the Dean of Suffolk Law and the President of Suffolk, I made my decision" to resign, he said in his email.

"They did not condemn his statements at all. They meant to gloss over this as if he was suggesting ending a public policy or changing a law — both are things that he is encouraged to do. But his personal hatred of the troops, sent out to the entire faculty is his way of bullying everyone into submission." he said.

"Avery is very powerful there and very few will cross him," Roughsedge said. "How many would openly support the troops after his tirade on email? We have our answer. None of the full-time faculty have stepped up."

He certainly would not have liked to have these men covering his back in Afghanistan.
edit on 25-11-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I don't defend any of this, but, the professor in question has the right to say and feel whatever he wants. Also, it might be found that the professor who resigned is also a "radical," but, in the other direction.

What we have here is an isolated case of two people who disagreed with each other. Everyone else is still getting along and life goes on.

All of this politically correct stuff going on in the world does NOTHING but attack our freedom of speech. Sounds to me like both of them should have just kept their mouths shut. By the way, I see nothing noble in the fact that the other professor resigned. It just shows his skin needs to thicken up a bit.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'll certaily defend it.

The professor was right, the community should be debating these aspects and not just blindly supporting the war or the people in it.

There are far more pressing issues at home, even in Massachussets that require attention, then those going on over seas.

That may sound cold towards the troops, but it's the truth of the matter. The US spends almost 600 Billion a year in the defense budget, they can afford to take care of their soldiers.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 11/25/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
How much have we spent on these "wars"?

Not all of us support murdering people overseas for oil

Also - isn't the school still sending the care packages and doesn't Roughsedge have the right to send an e-mail saying just the opposite of Avery?
edit on 25-11-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
He isn't very smart. He resigned in protest over a stupid co-worker from a workplace that SUPPORTED his beliefs (were collecting for the troops).

Dumb, dumb, dumb. What did he expect in academia except nitwits like this colleague? DUH.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
This could have been handled in a much more positive manner,
The complaining professor could have started his own "care package program"
Rather than EXCLUDING people who are doing what they were told to do.
He could have started his own program INCLUDING people in America.

He could have started a care package program FOR people who are in the US, but are having financial troubles.
There are certainly plenty who qualify, Instead, he thinks about himself. That's elitism.

Packages for the troops AND packages for the poor...What's wrong with that?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
It is by no means a 1st Amendment issue, for those who would divert the topic.

Yeah it is.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Destiny777

the professor in question has the right to say and feel whatever he wants

If only that were true. Was it the baseball pitcher John Rocker, if I recall, stating his opposing viewpoint about gays in New York(who they were playing). They made him apologize and take sensitivity classes., neither of which he should have to do.He is entitled to his opinion whether anyone likes it or not.
I guess speech is only free depending on the subject matter.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I am sorry but 9/11 was the catalyst and I cannot support our troops being overseas on a lie. If they introduce the NWO in its entirety it will have been built on a crime against humanity.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
It is sad that so many people are so brainwashed that out of desperation for a paycheck and or love for excitement they will serve the war machine. That being said, here is my opinion of liberal college professors (who also serve the NWO):

www.slate.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

This guy whimped out and resigned because the didn't figure he could fight the guy who put the email out.

All I have to say is that this is a sign of what a crappy lawyer he would be. If he can't fight the fight for himself, it goes to show that he would not be a good legal representative for a client he would have to defend.

What's the old saying? "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destiny777
I don't defend any of this, but, the professor in question has the right to say and feel whatever he wants. Also, it might be found that the professor who resigned is also a "radical," but, in the other direction.

What we have here is an isolated case of two people who disagreed with each other. Everyone else is still getting along and life goes on.

All of this politically correct stuff going on in the world does NOTHING but attack our freedom of speech. Sounds to me like both of them should have just kept their mouths shut. By the way, I see nothing noble in the fact that the other professor resigned. It just shows his skin needs to thicken up a bit.

I was about to say almost the same thing!

Why do people care so much about what others believe? Why not just be content with what YOU believe, and let everyone else live in the same way with the same freedom? There's no need to make a statement if someone is a jerk. They will alienate themselves in due time. I have found that the best way to "influence" those around us is never by the use of negative force, but by being a neutral person who others WANT to emulate. When people like you so much that they desire to emulate you, then you're on to something. But the moment you start thumping and shoving your beliefs, people turn around and walk away. (I'm not referring to YOU personally, but using "you" in reference to all of us.) Anyway, well stated! I'm all for military, but I too didn't find anything noble about him leaving his job on principle. It just showed that this professor "won" by using an email!! Jeez...really?? No way would I have left. I would have come back and been the nicest person he had ever met. I would have made him look like a complete ass and made him regret his words. He may not change his beliefs, but he'd sure think twice about spouting his beliefs in his professional atmosphere.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mugger

If only that were true. Was it the baseball pitcher John Rocker, if I recall, stating his opposing viewpoint about gays in New York(who they were playing). They made him apologize and take sensitivity classes., neither of which he should have to do.He is entitled to his opinion whether anyone likes it or not.

A lot of your professional sports players have clauses in their contracts that actually regulate what they say. When they sign it they give up those rights.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

The professor certainly has the right to express his opinion.
Our 4th amendment allows him that freedom. Of course that freedom is purchased in the blood of our soldiers who have fought for our freedoms over the last few hundred years.

You'd think that for a smart guy he wouldn't be blaming the soldiers. But in fact directing his anger at the politicians that start these wars.

If he's so angry about it then run for office. As not just a lawyer but a law professor I'm sure he's the right guy for the job.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
This could have been handled in a much more positive manner,
The complaining professor could have started his own "care package program"
Rather than EXCLUDING people who are doing what they were told to do.
He could have started his own program INCLUDING people in America.

He could have started a care package program FOR people who are in the US, but are having financial troubles.
There are certainly plenty who qualify, Instead, he thinks about himself. That's elitism.

Packages for the troops AND packages for the poor...What's wrong with that?

And you stated my second point!
Folks are so keen on tearing others down when they don't agree with them. Forget them and pursue what matters most to YOU! I have a feeling though, that this professor is not the type to head ANY type of humanitarian effort. He strikes me as a back-seat complainer. But I completely agree with you and thought the same thing....what's wrong with having both programs for people who want to give according to what fits into their belief systems?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

There was a time when the US military served as our defense. This hasn't been the case in decades. The actions that the government commit by using the military has nothing to do with our defense. In fact, every conflict we are currently in only serves to put us in even more danger.

So knowing this, being a soldier is a job. These guys weren't drafted. They saw a paycheck and a future way of paying for college then said "Hell, I can kill some foreigners for that I guess". It's their decision to join. It's no less ridiculous than a social expectation to give money to Walmart employees. It doesn't make any sense.

It's time to get rid of this myth of the drafted soldier who finds himself in a hell he didn't sign up for. Again, these guys are employed and they are working. They are paid to help put our nation in danger by instigating violence and fostering hate towards all Americans... and we are paying for their salaries!

Until we look at this bluntly and demystify the whole concept, we are going to continue getting fresh generations of gullible kids signing their souls away to a government that doesn't care about them. Do you guys realize that if we stopped enlisting, we couldn't wage these wars?!

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Well I can't say I'm surprised at the responses. And although I disagree with many of them, I still welcome them, and any disagreement I have is NOT because I want to take away their right to free speech. Understand that? Because it's the exact argument that most of you are trying to make, with no success. I knew that would be the first rebuttal I received. But please, we can move past that, can't we? Most of us have graduated high school, haven't we?

And, afaik, care packages, and the effort being made by the school is strictly a voluntary effort. People are being asked for a charitable donation. Yet there are misguided attempts to somehow co-mingle them with a $600b Defense budget. One is the domain of politics and the feds, the other is private.

But wait, there's more:

reply to post by Schkeptick

He isn't very smart. He resigned in protest over a stupid co-worker from a workplace that SUPPORTED his beliefs (were collecting for the troops).

No, he resigned over a system that refuses to take a stronger stand to show support for his efforts.

And finally, one person says we are in Afghanistan to steal their oil.

Thanks for all your responses. If our country is ever attacked, please call a liberal professor to help you.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger

Except that John Rocker voluntarily entered into a contract with major league baseball and his team, and every single major league baseball has a clause that says the player will not tarnish the image of the league.

So the Rocker argument is moot.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Well lets look at things as they are.

100% of the military are there by choice. There has not been a draft, it was YOUR choice to join the military.

The wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, all current "operations" (Try to make it sound less like a war, it doesn't work) do absolutely NOTHING to protect America. In fact they hurt America's safety, because we are breeding generations upon generations of future terrorists who will use our current actions, and actions of the last decade or so, to justify their terrorists activities.

So by choice, you are going to another country, and killing their people, NOT in defense of America, but for a paycheck.

I don't support that. I support our Troops sitting on our borders, training, and acting as a deterrent against other nations from attacking us. And IF someone attacks us, I fully support our troops attacking them back.

But since WWII the military has been used for nothing but political and monetary gain. And aside from nam, all people have made the CHOICE to join the military.

So you are free to murder for a paycheck (not in defense of the USA) but others are also free to not support, and even condemn you for it.

Until we fight a just war, or our soldiers are drafted and have no choice in the matter, I'm not going to play nice and go along with the group and give support to people who are there of their own free will, doing awful terrible things for no other reason than a paycheck, or a naive and twisted sense of serving one's country.
edit on 25-11-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Is it free speech you have a problem with or just liberal free speech?
If I had a nickel for every time some Johnny Commando cried out how they are over their protecting us over here and our freedoms, I would be far far richer. This is one soldier who can no longer say that. So what is he fighting for?

How is quitting the right move anyway?

"Sorry kids, no Christmas this year for you. I had to do something. Some guy at work said something that upset me."

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join