It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US, Let's Get Realistic About OWS - warning graphic images

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
After looking over the recent Drudge Report, I couldn't help but reflect on the picture of the Top Story entitled, "Occupy Main Street".

Here we depict "American" austerity, right? In this picture we have a well fed police department listening to an "Occupier" who is holding an expensive cup of coffee? I'm just not feeling it.

Even with as bad as things supposedly are, I can walk outside any given day of the week and fill a basket of edible plants. I don't see government austerity as a "problem" or the focus of "national security". In contrast, the following picture is from Zimbabwe where two South Africans were killed for robbery.

This is extreme poverty where citizens are taking the laws in their own hands in order to provide the daily necessities.

Here in the US, we have 'flash mobs' where parents instruct their two children to steal goods from a local store shelf. (See 0:21 - 0:22)

In my mind, there's a real issue here and it doesn't have anything to do with "austerity" or corporate greed. Just my two cents. I suppose this could have went in the "rant" section, but "political madness" seemed to take precedence.

I'll tell you a little secret. Who is really suffering from the current economic client is the dishonest investors who are losing their wealth hand-over-fist. It's these malcontent investors and their unions that are fueling OWS. I dare say that most of you are "reading" the tabloids instead of "living" them. I welcome a correction here.

edit on 24-11-2011 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
My two cents;

It is ALL just a steaming pile of golden BS. Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CodeRed3D
I'll tell you a little secret. Who is really suffering from the current economic client is the dishonest investors who are losing their wealth hand-over-fist. It's these malcontent investors and their unions that are fueling OWS.

One branch of the military alone gets more funding than all the schools in America. The Navy.

For every $1 in federal taxes the state of Illinois pays into the federal goverment the residents of Illinois sees 25 cents of federal assistance.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

One branch of the military alone gets more funding than all the schools in America. The Navy.

It’s not the governments roll to provide education. The government should get its crooked, indoctrinating paws out of education immediately.

It IS the Governments responsibility to defend the country.

I’ll let you figure out why the money is spent the way it’s spent.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CodeRed3D

Source for your last paragraph about the investors who are losing their shirts "fueling" OWS, please?
Cherry-picking supposed supporting information is wrong from any standpoint, nonwithstanding political affiliation.

edit on 24-11-2011 by QueSeraSera because: wrong word

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by QueSeraSera

Source for your last paragraph about the investors who are losing their shirts "fueling" OWS, please?
Cherry-picking supposed supporting information is wrong from any standpoint, nonwithstanding political affiliation.

LOL, don't make this difficult.

"Yes, some of them were union members, but does that make them somehow worth less?"

With many wearing union T-shirts, it looked more like an old-fashioned labor rally than an OWS event. Few of the core occupiers were seen; this was a union show.

I spoke with McCray about the ways in which the #OWS movement and young workers today might deepen their bonds.

"A vast percentage of the people were union members protesting — some private unions and then some municipal unions — and they had, you know, organized signs and leadership and that sort of thing"

That’s not surprising — while many unions have exhibited political independence, SEIU officials have long been among Obama’s closest and most loyal allies in Washington — but what was notable here was how brazenly Henry exploited the language of the Occupy movement to justify her endorsement of the Democratic Party leader: “We need a leader willing to fight for the needs of the 99 percent . . . ."

Several of the demonstrations coincided with an event planned months earlier by a coalition of unions and liberal groups, including Moveon.org and the Service Employees International Union, in which out-of-work people walked over bridges in several cities to protest high unemployment.

The AFL-CIO, the Service Employees International Union and the Laborers’ International Union of North America are eager to piggyback on the press of OWS — all to call for increased infrastructure spending.

The rhetoric seems pretty clear to me.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

LOL, don't make this difficult.

"Yes, some of them were union members, but does that make them somehow worth less?"

With many wearing union T-shirts, it looked more like an old-fashioned labor rally than an OWS event. Few of the core occupiers were seen; this was a union show.

I spoke with McCray about the ways in which the #OWS movement and young workers today might deepen their bonds.

"A vast percentage of the people were union members protesting — some private unions and then some municipal unions — and they had, you know, organized signs and leadership and that sort of thing"

That’s not surprising — while many unions have exhibited political independence, SEIU officials have long been among Obama’s closest and most loyal allies in Washington — but what was notable here was how brazenly Henry exploited the language of the Occupy movement to justify her endorsement of the Democratic Party leader: “We need a leader willing to fight for the needs of the 99 percent . . . ."

Several of the demonstrations coincided with an event planned months earlier by a coalition of unions and liberal groups, including Moveon.org and the Service Employees International Union, in which out-of-work people walked over bridges in several cities to protest high unemployment.

The AFL-CIO, the Service Employees International Union and the Laborers’ International Union of North America are eager to piggyback on the press of OWS — all to call for increased infrastructure spending.

The rhetoric seems pretty clear to me.

Fine. If this excerpt is from the Drudge Report ( I assume ), where is the link? Let us read your sources for ourselves, please.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I love the first picture. That screaming idiot looking occupier who is AGAINST the corporations had a STARBUCKS in his hand
:lol 5 dollars for 16oz. of mostly water! Now whos laughing?
edit on 24-11-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

Not to mention his pricey looking furry jacket.
edit on 24-11-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by QueSeraSera

The primary picture is the intellectual property of Drudge Report for the following article, 'Occupy'-Inspired Campaign Urges Boycott of Black Friday. The original article had nothing to do with the opinion I've outlined here. So welcome to the ride. I just don't see how the OWS movement turned into the "Occupy Businesses". There's really nothing else propping up the Country.

Unions and their investment firms are the cause of OWS, not the "terrorists" that they are grooming.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Do we know if its indeed filled with (I assume, never been there) crap coffee? Perhaps he has just re-purposed a discarded cup and rinsed it out to fill with water to up his hippy credentials?

Edit: But, the amusing irony of that first pic is crushed at trying to deal with the second picture. What a horrid sight that is, haunting, disturbing and an awful way to go.
edit on 24-11-2011 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Your top picture isn't even from America, It's from Canada.

I just love it when people make these false analogies between America and some third world countries.

Name one common theme in third world countries, how about a rich and powerful elite surrounded by the vast majority who are poor, with a very small or non existent middle class.

In what direction has America been headed?

Unions have been fighting this fight for a long time and I'm glad OWS is in there fighting the good fight too.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys
reply to post by AllUrChips

Do we know if its indeed filled with (I assume, never been there) crap coffee? Perhaps he has just re-purposed a discarded cup and rinsed it out to fill with water to up his hippy credentials?

Edit: But, the amusing irony of that first pic is crushed at trying to deal with the second picture. What a horrid sight that is, haunting, disturbing and an awful way to go.
edit on 24-11-2011 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

He bought the cup originaly which yes costs him 5 bucks.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

reply to post by QueSeraSera

The primary picture is the intellectual property of Drudge Report for the following article, 'Occupy'-Inspired Campaign Urges Boycott of Black Friday. The original article had nothing to do with the opinion I've outlined here. So welcome to the ride. I just don't see how the OWS movement turned into the "Occupy Businesses". There's really nothing else propping up the Country.

Unions and their investment firms are the cause of OWS, not the "terrorists" that they are grooming.

I think this statement in the article makes it pretty clear?

"Any holiday shopping we do this day will be at independent shops to support local economies and the 99% as a whole!" the group's Facebook page says.

Tony Boicourt, the co-founder of the Facebook page, said he's urging people to boycott 'mega retailers,' which oftentimes only hire seasonal workers during the holidays.

"If everyone were to just start buying local, or American more jobs would be created here helping the U.S. economy rather than creating mass jobs in other countries that these huge retailers use for cheap manufacturing," Boicourt wrote in an email to FoxNews.com.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jlv70
Your top picture isn't even from America, It's from Canada.

LOL, I guess I've just always been under the impression that we pay the same Queen.

"If everyone were to just start buying local, or American more jobs would be created here helping the U.S. economy rather than creating mass jobs in other countries that these huge retailers use for cheap manufacturing," Boicourt wrote in an email to FoxNews.com.

I support that whole heartily. Star for you. But that doesn't remove the fact that the big investors are driving OWS. Doesn't matter anyway, there probably won't be a Walmart left by next Summer unless China can revitalize their exports without the Americans.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jlv70
I just love it when people make these false analogies between America and some third world countries.

BTW, I didn't properly flame you on your comment. I thought we were celebrating differences and not "analogies" in pursuit of being a bit more realistic about what OWS is and isn't. Read the thread next time.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

I got out of it that your trying to say that we don't have anything to complain about because the local junta isn't hacking our heads off.
I must have missed the "celebrating differences" part.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

I'll tell you a little secret. Who is really suffering from the current economic client is the dishonest investors who are losing their wealth hand-over-fist. It's these malcontent investors and their unions that are fueling OWS. I dare say that most of you are "reading" the tabloids instead of "living" them. I welcome a correction here.

There's a saying in the field of science debate, where someone's statement is so completely off the mark that it's not even in the same ballpark. The phrase is "not only are you not right, but you're not even wrong."

Simply put... I don't know where to start in correcting you here. There is just so much that you've gotten wrong in this short sentence that it would probably take me all night and two full posts to make a credible attempt at it.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
If we are to follow the logic laid out in this thread, people who marched and protested for civil rights in the 60's should have shut their mouths and been grateful that they were not burned to death, had to steal for their food and had clothes to wear.

Never mind the fact that they had to sit in the back of the bus, eat in establishments that were not "white only", had to drink from fountains that were designated for "their kind" of people and worry about being harassed by racist numbskulls!

What I take from this is that when Americans have a legitimate concern they should be quiet and be grateful that they are not being brutalized by those who disagree with their plight.

Is that the precedent we are trying to establish, or am I looking at this wrong?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Simply put... I don't know where to start in correcting you here. There is just so much that you've gotten wrong in this short sentence that it would probably take me all night and two full posts to make a credible attempt at it.

With such a cheap shot, you have no choice but to make an attempt at it.

I say OWS is fabricated at the top level and will provide you the results that you don't want. I'd be more than happy to entertain your differences. Maybe I'd learn something. With over 6,000 posts you should have something to say, right?

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
Never mind the fact that they had to sit in the back of the bus, eat in establishments that were not "white only", had to drink from fountains that were designated for "their kind" of people and worry about being harassed by racist numbskulls!

I'm sorry, but if this was a conversation about equal rights, then the Unions wouldn't have touched OWS with a ten foot pole. I think you're in the wrong thread.
edit on 25-11-2011 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
It’s not the governments roll to provide education. The government should get its crooked, indoctrinating paws out of education immediately.

Education Law

It IS the Governments responsibility to defend the country.

*government's, and government does not have to be capitalized.

Stupid wages war on the country. (Do you think smart people would wage war on America?) Defend against stupid.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join