It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No financial security

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Can you afford to prepare in advance for a future situation X? How come?

But how does one prepare for a future situation X when they can't afford much to begin with

O, and if a situation X striped you of your financial security, what would you do?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Get to the countrysides near water sources and out of cities. Money isn't everything. Our ancestors had lived without money before, so too can we in any SHTF situation, if we survive the initial onslaught. And then through sharing of resources neccessary for human life to thrive, and human capital, rebuild a better world for oneself and future generations..

But if it is just a jobless or total inveslment lost issue, re-calibrate your goals in life for simplicity, for survival's sake, regardless of how old you are. Your experiences in life are forever, and it will help you mature and be a better, smarter person in any future endeavor that you wish to undertake, with your free will, or to give up and live a bum's life, caring for nothing but only the end to come mercifully, which is a mistake when you realize how many had survive and succeeded in NOT giving up on this precious gift of life we had been given.

Good luck.
edit on 24-11-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Knowledge is free.
Thats the key to being prepared.
When all the gear you have is gone....you will need the basic skills to live without them.

Learn what you can and try it....its free.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

O, and if a situation X striped you of your financial security, what would you do?

Prepare. Educated yourself on how to be self sustaining. humans did it for thousands of years before our fiat currency was created, and will continue on long after it's gone.

Learn how to grow food, store food, grow animals, slaughter animals, make the basics you need for everyday life.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Preparation is very easy to afford because knowledge is still free. Arm yourself with that and the information about your surroundings and nature can provided anything you need if you possess the skills to extract it from the land and wildlife.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
A friend of mine runs a primitive skills survival school. He produces how to vids and holds classes across several states. You can find the vids and some free info by googling pathfinders. He is pretty busy but if you FB him, and add your questions to the strings there he still tries to answer as many as he has time for. Email is out of the question. I met him way back before all the circus started. He knows how to get people up to speed with just the basics and very little money.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
A friend of mine runs a primitive skills survival school. He produces how to vids and holds classes across several states. You can find the vids and some free info by googling pathfinders. He is pretty busy but if you FB him, and add your questions to the strings there he still tries to answer as many as he has time for. Email is out of the question. I met him way back before all the circus started. He knows how to get people up to speed with just the basics and very little money.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

It isn't cheap but it can be done. Buy a little bit at a time. They are trying, especially right now, but we can try harder.

Just got done having a conversation over thanksgiving dinner with my mother about her job. They're forcing her to work off the clock. This economy is up a creek.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Coupons, thrift shops, craigslist, yard sales.... so many treasures out there. Not many are in a position to purchase huge quantities of anything but in small amounts it can be done. If you need a high ticket item then look around at what you have, is there something you can sell? I have made hundreds selling stuff (junk) so I can purchase what I need. Thrift shops have sales, and you can always make an offer at a yard sale, paying asking price at a yard sale is something I rarely do. If you have 8 dollars in coupons for groceries, take that saved 8 dollars and buy food to store.

As said above...learn, read and always test out what you learn. Starting a fire with a flint is harder then it looks.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker

Wilderness outfitters...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Hi, Phishy made a really good point I would like to expand upon. When TSHTF it is completely possible that greenbacks will be valuable only to assist in the lighting of fires or as a possibly dirty (diseased) stand-in toilet paper!
Food security is by far more important. I suggest you learn how to garden and begin stockpiling HERITAGE variety vegetable seeds. I stressed heritage variety because these are the old strains which have been cultivated for many generations and the seed is viable from generation to generation, unlike commercial varieties which are often F1 seed. This means the second generation of seed is sterile, forcing you to go and buy more rather than continuing to grow vegetables from generation to generation.
Another from of security you might wish to look into is that of your own personal skill-set. What skills or expertise do you have to offer a group/village in a survival situation? Education may not come free these days, but knowledge still is. Join a library and read up on as much as you can. First aid, cooking, sewing, building, plant identification, gardening, animal husbandry. You don't need to be an expert, the broader your skills base, the more versatile you are and therefore the more valuable to said group/ community, yourself and family!
Sorry for the rambling rant...hope there is something in there for you! =D

SilverX

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
Coupons, thrift shops, craigslist, yard sales.... so many treasures out there. Not many are in a position to purchase huge quantities of anything but in small amounts it can be done. If you need a high ticket item then look around at what you have, is there something you can sell? I have made hundreds selling stuff (junk) so I can purchase what I need. Thrift shops have sales, and you can always make an offer at a yard sale, paying asking price at a yard sale is something I rarely do. If you have 8 dollars in coupons for groceries, take that saved 8 dollars and buy food to store.

As said above...learn, read and always test out what you learn. Starting a fire with a flint is harder then it looks.

The above is true. I also financed my prep that way. Three years ago when I "woke the heck up" I began what ended up being a long process. This included selling all items I now considered to be junk (so not actual junk, but items that are pretty useless) and investing the proceeds in survival. Some of my prep included:

Making my home more energy efficient in an attempt to lower my electricity usage and bill in case hard economic times strike my family, or as a heat trap if I had no power and it was freezing outside.

Purchasing some items for food storage and the containers and various means to store them.

Purchasing seeds for storage as well as starting a garden.

Purchasing tools needed for survival such as specialty knives, outdoor and fireplace cooking tools, and a hand operated drill.

Lots of items can be found second hand at thrift stores or garage sales. I got almost all of my tools that way and everything is in fine condition.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

The key to having supplies to last a very very long time is to start, at some point. I had nothing. Ziltch. Could barely make a living. But I started looking around, find the good deals, the cheap deals. I could now resist a year if TSHF...

There is a person close to where I live that I befriended a little while back. He had wanted to put aside but couldn't, being on welfare. He has a sickness and unfortunately cannot work. But I got him started just the same. Little by little. Bit by bit. It takes longer I agree. But now he could last for many many months if anything was to happen.

The key is that you have to decide to start at some point. Solutions will then follow.

And there are great ideas within this very thread. No matter what the situation you are in, you can do it.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Dont need it.
Everything Ive got built/did with my own hands.

No bank accounts
No credit cards
No mortgage
No insurance
No stocks/bonds
No car

Am free I owe nobody and neither want nor need anything from anyone.
Why the hell would I want to be a slave to the banks / governments ?

Life is meant to be lived - live it as a human being should..

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Watch the documentery (and read the book) "Alone in the Wilderness" Dick Proenneke's self sufficiant life in Alaskan wilderness. en.wikipedia.org...
The man created an entire life on $500 (todays dollars) He remains my hero and teaches something that we should be privilaged to see simply because he recognized the value of what he was doing (maybe eased lonliness as well) to take his own videos and keep beautiful journals.

I think the answer to your question is let go of everything material, have a skill and intuition to build your life upon day to day survival and peace in the natural world.

edit on 24-11-2011 by moondancer811 because: link

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Educate yourself on how to live off the land. Find the place you would end up going to as your haven and start going there to become accustomed to the terrain and wildlife. Learn to make your own tools, weapons, assistance devices.

Above all? Learn to be resourceful. Use what you have to its fullest potential.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

if the scenario was that you were all on your lonesome you would have to consider these things but in reality, if you live in a community and have friends and family, those things become a collective issue and people help each other.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I agree with learing what you can...its free.
If you store food...I recommend about a 14 to 16 months of it on hand...here is why....

If tomorrow "IT" happens....harvest is over, you need enough to get you to spring to plant food(providing it is a complete SHTF or EOTWAWKI).
Plus enough to last you till it matures and produces food from the vines...that is 12-24 weeks...or 3 to 6 months...depending on what the food is.
So now you needed 8 months of food to get you to this point.
If you've never gardened before and mess up anything, you'll need to have a little extra stored to make up for it...plus animals and people might get into your garden and raid it when you aren't looking...this way it actually gives you 2+ years of food with adding just a few things from a garden or from hunting/ fishing.

Plus you never know when you might need to trade some(very little..a meal or 2) for a tool or just something you could use...a year into a SHTF....because we always have something we forgot!!! lol

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
What worries me is that everyone says there go to the country and live off the land. If everyone runs to the hills there will be territory wars between people over land and water so really dont know what would be safer

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by leawyoming

People already OWN the land, So if they go to the hills or farms, they are tresspassing...I don't know anyone from the country that doesn't own a gun ...so they might be better off keeping there happy lazy asses where they are...it would be a lot safer for them...what land people don't own, the government does, so either way...unless you own land...your screwed!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join