It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why swearing can be good for you

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Why swearing can be good for you

au.news.yahoo.com

It appears that dropping the occasional F-bomb after some kind of physical discomfort, like a knock to the head or a banging of an elbow, is actually therapeutic.

According to a recent study in Britain, people who scream profanities when under physical duress actually provide themselves with a natural pain reliever, Business Insider reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

In an interesting experiment, researches at Keele University in the UK told subjects to stick their hands into a container filled with ice-cold water. Half the 71-person group was allowed to use a swear of their choosing, while the others had to use a non-offensive word. Afterwards, the roles were reversed.

The results said that 73 per cent of those who swore while their hand was in the ice-cold water were able to leave it there for longer, on average 31 seconds, than those using the non-offensive word

I knew it! Whenever I slam a hammer down on my thumb, or bash my head on a low ceiling or frame, I find it makes me feel a lot better to call the inanimate object every name under the sun, plus a few I'm sure I have made up myself!

Why do some people believe the use of some words should not be allowed when the majority are? I mean, they are just words - letters put together in sequence.....

****Insert random swear-word here - to make one feel better!!****

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Based off this study I may live for ever.

and to think my parents always said it was a bad thing to do.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I've known that forever. I've used swearing in place of strangling people many times. Swearing has saved Lives for Sure!

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
The BBC also covered this in a programme on language and it's uses. Think it was "Stephan Fry's Planet Word". Can't remember the episode name but it's pretty easy to find.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by thejlxc

Hehe I know that feeling well mate. I deserve the Nobel Peace Prize for my usage of swearing instead of strangulation, or cricket bat........anything handy really lol.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
It's true! I feel freakin' great!
I like to call my special words "colorful".
As long as you can turn it off and on when kids, customers, grandma is around!

If anyone asks "Would you like fruitcake?"
"Heck No!" is not colorful enough.
Happy Thanksgiving ATS, and no F-Bombs at the table!

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Wow, so is Gordan Ramsey going to live forever?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by assspeaker
As long as you can turn it off and on when kids, customers, grandma is around!

My grandmother could put Chuck Norris in his grave with her colourful use of the English language!!

My wife's grandmother, on the other hand, just gives me the death stare to end all death stares if a naughty word happens to slip out of my mouth during family dinners.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Yes cussing when you get hurt does make it feel better. That's why I have no problem letting it come out.

I do admit I get addicted to that however and just cuss up a storm naturally all the time though. Oh but I am at least well-mannered enough to clean it up in public places like here at ATS. I try to at least. But let it be known, I do cuss constantly privately.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
It only really helps with minor flesh wounds and injuries like that however.

If you get your legs chopped off you will pass out in shock or something like that.

So no matter how much you cuss you are still mortal. It's just a cheap pain-relief mechanism. It won't do much to help real actual major pain issues.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Just use "Smeg" in place of swear words in places where one is asked to refrain.

ie: "Smeg the smegging smeggers!"

or... "Smeg off you smegging smeghead!"

You get the picture....

(P.S. It's from "Red Dwarf")
edit on 24/11/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
It does help, I find. If playing basketball and I miss an easy shot, I get disheartened.. if I miss an easy shot and cuss, get fired up. Nice find!

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

The article also says:

However, the study found that you have to use your curses wisely. While the pain relieving element seemed to work in the short term, the effect lessened when swearing was a part of daily life.

Basically, it's an instant form of gratification. It doesn't work for the long haul.

It makes you kind of wonder about people that use swear words constantly then. Chronic pain perhaps?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by supine

To be honest, it still works for me even though I swear quite frequently.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I know it's good for me! I do it all the time. And not just when I get hurt.
Like you said. It's letters strung together.

It's all in the intent, I believe. Words can cut like a knife and whether or not they are swear words doesn't really matter. I can say, "I am so "freaking" happy right now"! and I think that's a GOOD thing. But I can also say, "You are not worthy of my love. You're beneath me"... and I've just injured someone and ripped to shreds any goodness that was there... and not one swear word.

I don't understand the crackdown on certain words. To me, it's "religious correctness" (instead of political correctness) that tries to control people's speech. Some find it offensive, so we have to make the use of those words socially unacceptable. And I say, "%(#*% that"!

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Just use "Smeg" in place of swear words in places where one is asked to refrain.

I like "Cheesy Rice." myself.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by supine

"Smeg", when said with the right inflection in one's voice, can sound rather cutting.

Here are some examples of it's proper usage.....

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
When I was 5, I was walking down the street with some new friends. One turned to me and asked, "Do you always cuss so much?" Yes, I do. I swear by it.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

THAT, is f*****g inspired.

N1

top topics

<<   2 >>

join