It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malls track shoppers' cell phones on Black Friday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

The tracking system, called FootPath Technology, works through a series of antennas positioned throughout the shopping center that capture the unique identification number assigned to each phone (similar to a computer’s IP address), and tracks its movement throughout the stores.

The system can’t take photos or collect data on what shoppers have purchased. And it doesn’t collect any personal details associated with the ID, like the user’s name or phone number. That information is fiercely protected by mobile carriers and often can be legally obtained only through a court order.

Creeping more and more toward invasive monitoring. It really almost makes you want to leave your phone in the car or turn it off while you're out, or maybe buying a pager instead, if that would not carry the signal these two malls will be using. But then, what's the point of having a phone if you must turn it off to remain off their radar?

If this catches on, and I'm sure it will because companies are all about increasing profits, and this will help them do that, then we could see this becoming more widespread. It sounds like it's cheap to implement.

Yuck...

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
this is ridiculous..... but i'm sure we've all seen it coming from a long way off.
watch for it to be implemented everywhere...
then when we're used to it
"oh look at that, it can take your information after all!"

For Your Safety in 3....2....1....

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
This has been happening for years, it started in japan and has slowly spread to the US.

I am unsure of the fear mongering you are promoting here, all this system does that you posted about is collect data on the shopping habits of its customers; as location of a shopper and the path they take through a particular shopping area. no personal data. They could do that (and do in some places) with human beings.

A few systems ( I have seen in Japan) can look at your search data collected form the browser on your mobile device and cater digital adds suited to the consumer walking past an advertisement billboard.
edit on 24-11-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I don't get it. If the system's not picking up any personal data, & unable to monitor purchases, what's its purpose? Why spend time & money developing a tracking system, and then monitoring it, if there's no useful information to be gained. I smell a rat.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toffeeapple
I don't get it. If the system's not picking up any personal data, & unable to monitor purchases, what's its purpose? Why spend time & money developing a tracking system, and then monitoring it, if there's no useful information to be gained. I smell a rat.

shoppping patterns and habits. It can give way to very pertinent demographic data for a mall.

Where and how to place shops in a shopping center for example.

What the primary shopping habits for a given demographic are even (given that they are aware of the local populous's demographic).

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Originally posted by Toffeeapple

shoppping patterns and habits. It can give way to very pertinent demographic data for a mall.

Where and how to place shops in a shopping center for example.

What the primary shopping habits for a given demographic are even (given that they are aware of the local populous's demographic).

But that's my point - if the info in the clip is factual, in that it's not capable of monitoring purchases, and it doesn't pick up any personal details, then it's not detecting shopping habits or any demographics. It would only be measuring footfall in given shops, which is of little use, and easily noted by other methods.

They've gone to that expense so that they can know there are 40 people in W H Smiths & 100 people in Marks & Spencers at a given time? That doesn't seem feasible to me.

So either it's not very useful, it's still in the process of being developed for other purposes (probably the ones you've named), or they're lying.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

Originally posted by daynight42

....the signal these two malls will be using.
Which 2 malls?
and where?

It really almost makes you want to leave your phone in the car or turn it off while you're out.
This statement just seems odd to me. Yeah, you do say "What's the point of even having a phone if.....", but it seems like you don't actually feel that not having a cell phone, is a reasonable possibility.

Believe it or not, there are still a few people whom do not own cell phones, yet they somehow manage to continue living.

edit on 11/24/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

The tracking system, called FootPath Technology, works through a series of antennas positioned throughout the shopping center that capture the unique identification number assigned to each phone (similar to a computer’s IP address), and tracks its movement throughout the stores.

The system can’t take photos or collect data on what shoppers have purchased. And it doesn’t collect any personal details associated with the ID, like the user’s name or phone number. That information is fiercely protected by mobile carriers and often can be legally obtained only through a court order.

Creeping more and more toward invasive monitoring. It really almost makes you want to leave your phone in the car or turn it off while you're out, or maybe buying a pager instead, if that would not carry the signal these two malls will be using. But then, what's the point of having a phone if you must turn it off to remain off their radar?

If this catches on, and I'm sure it will because companies are all about increasing profits, and this will help them do that, then we could see this becoming more widespread. It sounds like it's cheap to implement.

Yuck...

is this your source ? CNN money

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

A few systems ( I have seen in Japan) can look at your search data collected form the browser on your mobile device and cater digital adds suited to the consumer walking past an advertisement billboard.

And you don't see anything wrong with that? I don't think fear mongering is the right word. 1984 dystopia? Getting closer all the time.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
I am unsure of the fear mongering you are promoting here, all this system does that you posted about is collect data on the shopping habits of its customers; as location of a shopper and the path they take through a particular shopping area. no personal data. They could do that (and do in some places) with human beings.

edit on 24-11-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

Well, then by your own statements, wouldn't you say that what is going on in Japan is invasive? Already it is happening on the phones of some people who choose to submit to such software, that they are tracked by location and served advertisements that match their location. So if you search for ice cream, you could be served ads for local ice cream parlors. As it is now, when you shop online, cookies can track what you buy. So, you'll see ads for things you've already bought (or very similar). It is far better for all consumers that the ads be as irrelevant as possible. That is the way for them to keep their money. If people prefer targetted ads, then they are preferring to be tempted to part with their money and saying they'd rather be more likely to spend money they probably don't have. See the problem?

This is a inch by inch progress toward using everything they can to "whip people into shape" to being "super consumers" by studying what works the best in stores, and how they can make their tools even sharper. If you don't believe advertising is already out of control, just look at the effect it already has, especially on children. We live in a world where it's so pervasive that people just accept it and forget what a huge effect it has on their mind and health and thoughts and feelings.

Decades from now, people could still be spending even more money they don't have. Still getting poorer. The rich could be richer. Advertising and increasingly better methods of statistical analysis will certainly be a factor in perpetuating the status quo.

On the other hand, if advertising were eliminated, people might gain back their sense of humanity. They would realize their lives are meaningful in themselves. As it stands now, so many people are convinced life is bad and that there's always something to buy to make it better. Repeat repeat repeat, and most people are broke and still miserable enough that they still are lead to believe more shopping would fix the problem.
-------
regarding cell phones:
Yes, there are people who get along without them. Great for them. I haven't broken my connection with mine. I have switched to a pay as I go option, to minimize the waste associated with contract agreements as I rarely use my phone. But, I still carry one with me. Maybe later I won't.
------
Yes, the CNN article is the source. I forgot to include it. Thanks for reminding me.
------
The two malls are:
Promenade Temecula in southern California and Short Pump Town Center in Richmond, Va

CNN source

new topics

top topics

join