It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'He's very, very lucky to walk away': Pilot's miracle escape as helicopter crashes while putting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

'He's very, very lucky to walk away': Pilot's miracle escape as helicopter crashes while putting up Christmas tree Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co. uk

A pilot cheated death on live TV when his helicopter crashed as he was putting up a seven-storey Christmas tree.
Television viewers in New Zealand watched in horror as the blades of Greg Gribble's helicopter became tangled in cables attached to scaffolding on Auckland's waterfront.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Thousands watched the drama unfold on TV in New Zealand. Steve Hall witnessed the 10.30am crash from a boat moored nearby, and said the helicopter appeared to be trying to lift a tower near the drawbridge.

I guess not everything is happy and full of joy during Christmas. The only that crossed my mind is what if the pilot was killed, i mean that would scar such a holiday season for his family for the following decades to come.

www.dailymail.co. uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
screw the piolet did you see the guy 10sec in? He almost got chopped in half with one of the blades.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
What about their poor wives!

I doubt they'll ever get those brown stains out of their husband's underwear!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
At first I thought he was dead when we was just laying there in the cockpit..

It is pretty incredible video..

I bet this thanksgiving they will be very very thankful..

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
WOW and OUCH

There is nothing like winning the lottery for Christmas and stands for all of them, but it also shows the fantastic comrade, from his fellow workers, that at that precise moment when the choppers electric fuel pumps would have still been active, but I do note, that one man, was thinking at light speed, as while the pilot was in the rear, he the guy, headed up on the opposite side to access the dash board, and I assume for the master kill switch, as at that point, he was risking his own life, given the chopper exploded in flames,as there would have been some possible 300 Lt of fuel on board
Great find and posting, we use Rotary wing aircraft extensively, I must get our pilots to view this, that's if they haven't already seen it, and I think this incredible film, should form part of all work health and safety procedures from here on in
As what not to do, as a momentary laps of concentration, or misjudgment, better not to submit your aircraft to such high levels of risk in the first place, and in all fairness to the pilot, the said wires should have been identified or flagged, posted, as to there being there, no good wishing them luck as they have had there share

As the saying goes, accidents don't just happen,they are caused

And thanks for the posting

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bulla
WOW and OUCH

There is nothing like winning the lottery for Christmas and stands for all of them, but it also shows the fantastic comrade, from his fellow workers, that at that precise moment when the choppers electric fuel pumps would have still been active, but I do note, that one man, was thinking at light speed, as while the pilot was in the rear, he the guy, headed up on the opposite side to access the dash board, and I assume for the master kill switch, as at that point, he was risking his own life, given the chopper exploded in flames,as there would have been some possible 300 Lt of fuel on board
Great find and posting, we use Rotary wing aircraft extensively, I must get our pilots to view this, that's if they haven't already seen it, and I think this incredible film, should form part of all work health and safety procedures from here on in
As what not to do, as a momentary laps of concentration, or misjudgment, better not to submit your aircraft to such high levels of risk in the first place, and in all fairness to the pilot, the said wires should have been identified or flagged, posted, as to there being there, no good wishing them luck as they have had there share

As the saying goes, accidents don't just happen,they are caused

And thanks for the posting

Further observations shows the pilot had his seat belt on, and the reason he finished in the back was the front seat mounts have torn lose and tipped him and the seat backwards, good one Boris, we will be checking all seat securing mechanization, NOW, bit like going backwards in a rocket sled that goes to prove, its not the fall that kills you, its the sudden stop at the bottom

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

giftmass is a month away - why are people putting trees up in november ?????

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
What happened? I played it back over a dozen times. It looks to me as if the whole tail section just came loose from the main body. That is one very luckly man.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I've been learning to fly model helicopters and I've discovered the first thing to happen in any crsh event is the rotars chop the tail off.
Flying these things looks east, IT IS NOT!!! You are in full 3D space and when you get as low as the helicopter in this vid you are blown about by the air rushing back up at you. I agree with the poster above, things should have been more clearly flagged.

Great post op.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by cerebralassassins

giftmass is a month away - why are people putting trees up in november ?????

Its called consumer, the pure thought and its representation of what actually is Christmass sadly has become a thing of the past and the new " in thing" is consumer needs, everything for the dollar or euro or pound...buy buy buy, consume , consume, consume....

top topics

join