It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mainstream Media Information Hub

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Lately I've been compiling a ton of information about media propaganda, and figured I'd post it here. Among the information is documentaries, articles, and YouTube videos explaining propaganda tactics as well as the organizations that control the media (So far I've found strong ties to the Central Intelligence Agency and the Council on Foreign Relations), interviews with people who are knowledgeable on the topic, and images/quotes about the media. Constructive criticism on the things that I post would be great.

If you guys can post anything that has to do with the controlled, corrupt media, that would be awesome. That could be anything from articles and videos explaining the techniques/tactics to basic information and examples of propaganda from the mainstream media. Even your personal explanation of the problems with the mainstream media, some of the propaganda methods, the reasons for their agenda, and things like that would work. The more educational and informative, the better.

Some articles:

Operation Mockingbird
The Stupefacation of a Nation
The CIA and the Media

Some quotes:

-"The truth of the matter is that increasingly, what we see, what we hear, and what we read is being controlled by fewer and fewer large, multi-national corporations."
-- Representative Bernie Sanders, US Congressman, Vermont.

There is no such thing in America as an independent press, unless it is in the country towns.
You know it and I know it. There is not one of you who dares to writes (sic) his honest opinions, and if you did you know beforehand that it would never appear in print.
I am paid one hundred and fifty dollars a week for keeping my honest opinions out of the paper I am connected with--others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things--and any of you who would be so foolish as to write his honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another job.
The business of the New York journalist is to destroy the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of Mammon, and to sell his race and his country for his daily bread.
You know this and I know it, and what folly is this to be toasting an "Independent Press."
We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping-jacks; they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."
-- John Swinton, editor of the New York Tribune, in the 1880s, at a banquet of his fellow editors.

-"The press ... traditionally sides with authority and the establishment."
-- Sam Donaldson, ABC correspondent.

-"There's an apposite quote from Dr. Goebbels. 'What you want in a media system is austensible diversity that conceals an actual uniformity'"
-- Mark Crispin Miller, Professor of Media Studies at New York University.

Website with more quotes and lots of articles

Some interviews:

Mark Crispin Miller: "Mainstream Media in the US is disgusting"

Mainstream media, US propaganda

John R. Macarthur interviewed about war propaganda

Ed Herman interviewed about propaganda in a democratic society

Some videos:

How the Council on Foreign Relations Controls the Media:

Behind Big News: Propaganda and the CFR:

Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism:

Corporate Media in American Society (Part 1):
(Part 2)

General information:

Mainstream Media Tactics:
--Selection of topics
--Distribution of concerns
--Emphasis
--Framing of issues
--Filtering of information
--Bounding of debate

-They determine, select, shape, control, and restrict information in order to serve the interests of the dominant elite groups.

1) GENERAL ELECTRIC - NBC

TV Holdings:
* NBC: Owns outright 13 stations and many affiliates, Market penetration: 28% of US households.
* NBC Network News: Owns The Today Show, Nightly News with Tom Brokaw, Meet the Press, Dateline.
* CNBC business network, MSNBC 24-hour cable and Internet news service (co-owned by both NBC and Microsoft); Court TV (co-owned with Time Warner), Bravo (50%), A&E (25%), History Channel (25%).
The MS in MSNBC stands for Microsoft, Bill Gate's Microsoft donated 2.4 million in 2000 to get George W Bush elected.
Other Holdings:
* GE Consumer Electronics and Household Products and components used in military electronics..
* GE Power Systems, which makes turbines for nuclear reactors, wind turbines, "clean" coal technology.
* GE Plastics: produces military hardware for fighter jets, ships and nuclear power equipment.
* GE Transportation Systems: manufactures engines and diesel and electric locomotives.

2) WESTINGHOUSE / CBS INC.

TV Holdings:
* CBS: Owns outright 14 stations and over 200 affiliates in the US.
* CBS Network News: 60 minutes, 48 hours, CBS Evening News, CBS Morning News.
* Country Music Television, The Nashville Network.
* Group W Satellite Communications.
Other Holdings:
* Westinghouse Electric Company: provides services to the nuclear power industry including owning 4 nuclear plants, waste disposal and transport.

3) DISNEY - ABC

TV Holdings:
* ABC: includes 10 stations outright, many affiliates, Penetration in the market: 24% of US households.
* ABC Network News: Prime Time Live, Nightline, 20/20, Good Morning America.
* ESPN, Lifetime Television (50%), as well as smaller holdings in A&E, History Channel and E!
* Disney Channel/Disney Television, Touchtone Television.
Other Major Media Holdings.
* Miramax, Touchtone Pictures.
* Major Magazines: Jane, Los Angeles Magazine, Discover.
* Three recording labels, twelve major local newspapers.
* Hyperion books.
* Infoseek search engine.

Major shareholders include Sid R. Bass, oil and gas baron.

4) TIME-WARNER TBS - AOL

TV Holdings:
* CNN, HBO, Cinemax, TBS Superstation, Turner Network Television, Turner Classic Movies, Warner Brothers Television, Cartoon Network, Sega Channel, TNT, Comedy Central.
* Largest cable system owner with an estimated 13 million households.
Media Holdings:
* HBO Productions, Warner Home Video, New Line Cinema, Castle Rock, Looney Tunes, Hanna-Barbera.
* Music: Atlantic, Elektra, Rhino, Sire, Warner Bros. Records, EMI.
* Thirty three major magazines including Time, Sports Illustrated, People Magazine, In Style, Fortune, The Book of the Month Club, Entertainment Weekly, Life Magazne, DC Comics, MAD Magazine.
Other major corporation Holdings:
* Sports Teams and Wrestling: The Atlanta Braves, The Atlanta Hawks, World Championship Wrestling.

5) NEWS CORPORATION LTD. / FOX NETWORKS

Major Television Holdings:
* Fox Television: includes 22 major and many affiliate stations, Penetration into more than 60% of US households.
* Fox International: extensive worldwide cable and satellite networks include British Sky Broadcasting (40%); VOX, Germany (49.9%); Canal Fox, Latin America; FOXTEL, Australia (50%); STAR TV, Asia, IskyB, India; Bahasa Programming Ltd., Indonesia (50%); and News Broadcasting, Japan (80%), major owner of DirecTV.
* The Golf Channel (33%).
Other Major Media Hodings:
* Twentieth Century Fox, Fox Searchlight.
* 132 major newspapers (113 in Australia alone) including the New York Post, the London Times and The Australian.
* Owns 25 magazines including TV Guide and The Weekly Standard.
* Owns HarperCollins books.
Othe Major Corporation Holdings around the word:
* Sports: LA Dodgers, LA Kings, LA Lakers, National Rugby League.
* Ansett Australia airline, Ansett New Zealand airlines.
* Rupert Murdoch is on the Board of Directors of Philip Morris, a major Bush donor.
Who owns the news?
edit on 23-11-2011 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Once again you are bringing to light the information that many so called journalists wont touch.

Here is a piece from the earlier war
library.thinkquest.org...
When it was suggested that World War II was approaching, Americans did not want to go to war. Having sustained losses in World War I and only now coming out of an economic crisis, most Americans thought that energies should be spent here at home, improving America, instead of becoming involved in war overseas. Even as the war started in Europe with the invasion of France, many Americans thought that the U.S. should avoid becoming involved. However, the government recognized that American participation was necessary, and quickly stepped up pro-war propaganda.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Perfect, that's a great example. Wars are definitely one of the most common topics that the media focuses their propaganda efforts on. Just look at the coverage of Iran, and the way they puffed up the invasion of Iraq.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I've noticed that the vast majority of interviews criticizing the propaganda coming from the US media outlets are on RT news. I don't know much about RT, so does anybody have anything bad to say about them? How do they function as a news outlet? Do they seem to push an agenda?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...(TV_network)
This from WP ,about Russia Today RT
During the 2008 South Ossetia War Russia Today correspondent William Dunbar resigned saying "[t]he real news, the real facts of the matter, didn't conform to what they were trying to report, and therefore, they wouldn't let me report it."[32] Human Rights Watch said that the claim of 2000 South Ossetian casualties, announced by Russia Today,[33] was "exaggerated."[34] The Moscow correspondent for the Independent said that Russia Today's coverage of the war was "obscene", claiming that the channel was "extraordinarily biased" and had "instructed reporters not to report from Georgian villages within South Ossetia that had been ethnically cleansed."[35]

------------------
Agenda ? probably depends on the individual story

RFERL. Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty could be a more alternative source
www.rferl.org...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Interesting. Well I've collected at least 10 interviews from RT with people describing mainstream media propaganda and the problems with our media, and I haven't noticed any problems. But if the only interviews I can find are from there, that seems kinda like I'm endorsing that news outlet.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I see you have Herman in there I gotta throw some Chomsky in there too.

I think this should be required reading for everyone:

The mass media serve as a system for communicating messages and symbols to the general populace. It is their function to amuse, entertain, and inform, and to inculcate individuals with the values, beliefs, and codes of behavior that will integrate them into the institutional structures of the larger society. In a world of concentrated wealth and major conflicts of class interest, to fulfill this role requires systematic propaganda.

Manufacturing Consent

As far as RT or PressTV go, I consider them, like all other forms of media, including American, to be propaganda organs of their respective states.

For any propaganda to be effective there has to be an element of truth in there somewhere.
Sometimes it's not what they say, but what they don't say and vice versa.

I always try to discern as to what the agenda is behind the media (propaganda), what attitudes and opinions do they want to instill in their targeted audience, and how do they go about distorting raw information into achieving the desired effect?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

Nice! I also have that "manufacturing consent" segment from that website saved. It was a great read, really informative. I haven't watched the video yet, so I'll check that out soon.

On the subject of RT, what I could do is post the interviews, and have people tell me what they think about them. From the ones I've seen, it's really just an interview with somebody who is knowledgeable on US media propaganda. I've seen no attempts to discredit those people, call them crazy, or mock/ignore them like the mainstream media would be expected to.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This is one of the best papers Ive read about the last hundred or so years and tying it all together.

www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...

Pac, aren't you from KC?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ludshed

Thanks, I'll give it a read in a little bit. The Council on Foreign Relations is definitely a subject of interest when it comes to media control and propaganda.

And yeah I'm from KC, why do you ask?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I thought you were, relating to your thread, even the "underground" news here (the pitch) is the same as msm now. I saw an article that pissed me off royally about the local "occupy"

www.pitch.com...

I'd love to run into this twirp out on the street.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I wouldn't see anything wrong with sourcing an interview from RT, there is some truth in all media, critical thinkers should be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

As a matter of fact I've seen plenty of Chomsky on RT, as far as American "liberal" media, not so much!

edit on 23-11-2011 by jlv70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

Here's the full version for that documentary, I just started watching it.

new topics

top topics

join