It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Give You.... The First Walktopus!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
This Octopus traverses several feet of land before entering the safety of the water again.
i've certainly never seen this before.

Walktopus

Perhaps you've heard the tale of the octopus that broke out of its tank at the aquarium and walked across the room to break into another tank where it proceeded to eat other forms of sea life.

That story is kind of an urban legend. It's supposedly happened at every aquarium in the world, but can't be confirmed.

Until now!

Here, an octopus at the Fitzgerald Marine Reserve in California hauls itself out of the water, and scoots awkwardly around on land for a little bit (while some apparently Minnesotan tourists gawk), before sliding back into the water. It's not the most graceful sort of travel. But it can be very handy. Octopuses do this in nature to escape predators, and also to find food of their own in tidal pools.

hope you enjoy.

thoughts?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
lol I thought there were laws that forbid sea creatures from breaching land mass w/o proper credentials
nice find OP snf

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
[color=mediumorchid]That's a first for me.

Thanks for sharing (:

S&F

A typical mollusk might have 20,000 neurons arranged in a diffuse net. The octopus has half a billion neurons. * The neurons in its head are massed into complex lobes, much the way our own brains are. In comparison with their body weight, octopuses have the biggest brains of all invertebrates. They're even bigger than the brains of fish and amphibians, putting them on par with those of birds and mammals.

Source
[color=mediumorchid]
Amazing how intelligent they are.

edit on 23-11-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

i have seen this, my most fav creature ever

i should add more
on a documentary they had some for tests
and they kept escaping out of there pool/tank
i think that clip is from the same documentary
infact im sure

edit on 23/11/2011 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

They ran a show a few years back called the future is wild, talking about life on earth millions of years from now. And that was something they thought would happen was the octopus leaving the water

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
That was pretty awesome! I know they are intelligent animals, so you know it was aware of people around it, and in that state completely vulnerable.. so I wonder what it was thinking...

But -- It's the first Swampus -

The amazing thing about the swampus is that it is the first cephalopod to venture out onto land. Infant swampuses are nurtured in a leafy plant named the Nursey Vase filled with fresh water, into which the mother urinates to maintain the proper salinity. Four of the swampus' arms have changed into four individual snail-style foot-muscles, and its mantle cavity can also be used as a lung, allowing it to stay out of water for up to four days.

It's from a show called The Future is Wild which speculates on how creatures on Earth would evolve should Humans become extinct. Pretty damn good series too it was. They looked at how things evolved from the past and used the same evolutionary leaps to create a world that might one day be possible.

There's heaps of videos on Youtube for it, which reminds me I have to watch it again now.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
thats pretty cool, octopuses (is that the right way to spell that plural?) always fascinated me.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by connorromanow
reply to post by kn0wh0w

They ran a show a few years back called the future is wild, talking about life on earth millions of years from now. And that was something they thought would happen was the octopus leaving the water

Damn it I spent so long getting links, I was beaten to it.. lol

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

octopuses have eight brains and three hearts
its true
each arm as its own brain cool or what?

link   

Originally posted by connorromanow
reply to post by kn0wh0w

That's the first thing that came to my mind. Then...."NOOOOOOOO!!!"

link   
reply to post by shadedverdad

yes i just checked dictionary

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

no i dont think so the site looks like its full off made up stuff
thats just on first glance
edit on 23/11/2011 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Whoa cool!! I had no idea!! Thanks for sharing this vid
S&F

2nd

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Maybe we are going to leave so the next creature can evolve here...what if earth is just a training ground for a science project millions of years in the making of intelligent life forms.

I once visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium and there is a Giant Pacific Octopus there that followed me around. I was wearing a blue & white shirt that it kept trying to mimic. I was so amazing people would watch us both move back and forth and it attempt to make crazy color changes! They are amazing creatures.

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

Eight brains and three hearts eh?

This animal is going to take over the planet in a couple million years!!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
if walking octopus are your thing, check out the movie "monsters".

Dem be some damned big squishy walking octopus, oh yes.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

We have the Marine Hatfield Science Center here and yes they do cross dry land if needed.

The octopus when I first moved here in the early 90's would climb out of his or her tank cross the floor and be attached to the front door.

This and other mishaps continued until it died.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I just checked out a trailer for it, it certainly appealed to a part of me

I wonder why I've never heard of it

Was it good??!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

It's from a show called The Future is Wild which speculates on how creatures on Earth would evolve should Humans become extinct. Pretty damn good series too it was. They looked at how things evolved from the past and used the same evolutionary leaps to create a world that might one day be possible.

Love it TV is a source of proof, I would have never thunk it.....Scientist working as writers for TV to propagate the???

Oh yeah and who was there to see how things evolved in the past as they still have never shown any conclusive evidence of a transitional form.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

ha! thats mad cool, i kinda want one now!

The best videos i like of these weird animals is when they squish up and squeeze through a tiny little gap in rocks etc

Really cool creatures

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join