It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oldies... A thing of the past?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
It occurred to me the other day that the "oldies station" format may be on it's way out. Classic rock stations have remained popular for many years, but how much longer will they continue? As the audience gets older and dies off, they will fade away. I have seen oldie country stations come and go, the 50's and earlier have been off the radio since the 90's (here in Houston), and I do not see other genres creating oldie stations. I do not imagine much of today's music on the radio in 30 or 40 years. Where are the oldie stations for rap/hip hop? It is 30 or more years in the making, now. Is the mid-eighties rap being played anywhere? Have we reached a point in which music must always be new and the old is tossed aside as no longer valid? Are we creating disposable music?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
It would be a shame to see the "oldies" stations disappear. Good music is good music, regardless of when it was written or recorded.

Young people today are still discovering the likes of Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Genesis And The Beatles.
These are the same young people who may become inspired by such bands/music and go on to create new sounds and genres themselves.

If they can't stumble upon these sounds scanning the car audiio or mp3 radios, how will they hear this stuff once the "oldies" fade out.
It would be a sad day for music lovers, but I can't see it happening. ( I still accidently end up with classical music on my car audio whilst travelling in the country searching for some decent vibes lol.)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Agreed - it would be a shame to see (or hear) the good OLD music disappear... Call me a nay-sayer if you will, but music today is too... meh.... It's rare to find GOOD modern music... it's all oonts-oonts rave-bunny dubstep blah blah fishpaste... made on a computer...

I for one, at the tender age of 22, LOVE my old school - the Troggs, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath.... Even as far back as Glenn Miller

By Girlfriend is Beatles-nuts.... at 21....

I doubt that old music is disappearing though... I think it's now truly being appreciated (by quite a few people, from what i've experienced) for the artistry that it truly is...
edit on 23-11-2011 by Havoc40k because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I hope you are right. I would love to see a rebirth a great music. I go all the way back to the Big Band stuff, too. We are lucky, and I hope the young generation realizes that. Recorded music has been around for some time, now. We are free to explore all of it, to pick and choose what we like and not be bound by trends.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Thanks to places like youtube we can still find some new oldies. I've been playing this to death all this week. It's the work of a genius.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Hell yeah. Now that's a great tune.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Anyone recall this one?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Not available in my region ...

Found it elsewhere, no hadn't heard it before but it instantly reminded me of an old vinyl album I have buried somewhere called 'The Endless Summer". (Cant think of who it was)

As it progressed, I was reminded of both the Doors and The Animals, well worth your investigation.

Spent heaps trying to embed, kept getting broken links so ...

Doors

Animals

edit on 24-11-2011 by Timely because: Hope this is appreciated !

edit on 24-11-2011 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I think it's the organ in those songs that make them extra special. Gives them a date too.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
I think it's the organ in those songs that make them extra special. Gives them a date too.

Good call! Hadn't thought about that, gee ! How the keyboard has changed and is a good indicator of era.

Star for you .

Just for the record ... Music touches the soul and all it contains. (mine ... just thought of it)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

Yeah, Fever Tree was a little more rare, really only had the one near hit. They were not nearly as big as the Doors or the Animals, which is why I chose to post it. Even the classic rock stations that are still around today have narrowed their playlists and many songs that used to get a lot of airplay are gone entirely already.

new topics

top topics

join