It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

americancensorship.org is down for US viewers.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Recently it came to my attention from a few people I know that americancensorship.org was offline for people on Comcast and Verizon services, and some AT&T services in the US. Other people were able to Proxy through to it to find it successfully but straight web address was not working. I dont want to alarm anyone into thinking that this is it for the internet before SOPA, because there could essentially be a logical explanation for the site being down, but in all else, the site is down for some users but not through proxies so it seems a little fishy to me.

Supposidly you can still access the website VIA Proxy and TOR networks.

ISPs BLOCKING
Comcast
Verizon
T-Mobile
Mediacom
AT&T
Time Warner Cable
Internode Australia
Optimum Online
Quest

NOT BLOCKING
Cox

It appears according the the WHOIS information that the account may be on hold, and may be just an issue with the registrar. The site may be up for some still due to Caching however we can't rule that out just yet.
www.networksolutions.com...

Domain ID
163767751-LROR
Domain Name:AMERICANCENSORSHIP.ORG
Created On:03-Nov-2011 00:52:12 UTC
Last Updated On:22-Nov-2011 23:30:51 UTC
Expiration Date:03-Nov-2012 00:52:12 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:New Dream Network, LLC dba DreamHost Web Hosting (R173-LROR)
Registrant ID:ndn-1537857
Registrant Name:americancensorship.org Private Registrant
Registrant Organization:A Happy DreamHost Customer
Registrant Street1:417 Associated Rd #324
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Brea
Registrant State/Province:CA
Registrant Postal Code:92821
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.2139471032

edit on 23-11-2011 by januaryx5th because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by januaryx5th

I typed in the addy and it worked fine for me, although I am in Canada. I guess America's little brother can still access it.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

No problems on my end.
It opened up just fine.
Cox Communications.
edit on 23-11-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

From what I'm finding, Comcast, Verizon and AT&T arent able to access it, but people with smaller companies are able to, like Cox and Roadrunner. Some people are saying Canada is fine, as well as Australia but US cant access it.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I just started hear about this so I asked some other people to see if they can access the site.
Its strange because certain states and provinces CAN see it.

I'm in Quebec and I CANT see it.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I'm on comcast I had no problems reaching it.
Though I fear the day when sites like this disappear.
At least I got TOR.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I can't see it. I'm on Time Warner, USA, Ohio.

Weird.

It gos to to timewarners auto website search page that you get if you type in an incorrect URL not a server not responding page

edit on 11/23/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I just tried to access the site with a free online proxy and it told me that I am BANNED from americancensorship!

I've only been there once and it was just to look ate the home page for like a minute.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

I'm in the U.S. and just checked the website. No problems. And I have a provider that is on that list that is supposedly blocking the website.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fishticon84
I just tried to access the site with a free online proxy and it told me that I am BANNED from americancensorship!

I've only been there once and it was just to look ate the home page for like a minute.

Yes sometimes proxies will do that to pages, its more or less you have lets say 50 people using 1 proxy and then they all visit the same site, some servers may think of that as a possible DDOS attack, but still. it shouldnt be doing that.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred

I'm in the U.S. and just checked the website. No problems. And I have a provider that is on that list that is supposedly blocking the website.

Yeah we're still trying to figure out what's going on, it seems that service providers in some areas are blocking and some arent, such as Cox and Roadrunner, however I havent heard of anyone using Comcast or Verizon that has had this flip flop connection yet. I guess we will just keep our eyes on it.

link   
Whoa, if this is not blatant censorship I dont know what is!! I tried accessing it via verizon and no response

link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Ok that weird and not in a good way.
I'm really concerned that many websites might start becoming inaccessible.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by januaryx5th

Originally posted by Fishticon84

Yes sometimes proxies will do that to pages, its more or less you have lets say 50 people using 1 proxy and then they all visit the same site, some servers may think of that as a possible DDOS attack, but still. it shouldnt be doing that.

Alright thanx for bringing that up, I don't wanna alarm anyone for no reason.

I tried with a few other proxies and couldn't get in but its not like I was sending a million pings a minute lol.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I thought this may have been some sort of bad joke but sure enough it is blocked, Verizon here. Was able to access it using TOR.

Sort of ironic that the first thing on their page is the warning that Congress is holding hearings on American internet censorship.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
AT&T Home DSL - Working fine
Verizon Mobile - Working fine

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Trouble in Little Chi
I thought this may have been some sort of bad joke but sure enough it is blocked, Verizon here. Was able to access it using TOR.

Sort of ironic that the first thing on their page is the warning that Congress is holding hearings on American internet censorship.

Yeah I know, it appears that it may possibly be just an issue with Slow DNS upgrades throughout the US, sometimes I hear it can take up to 48 hours, but you would expect slow DNS updates from smaller companies first... not the largest ones.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I have mediacom and it won't let me access the site. WTF!? I takes me to their mediacom domain not found page. TPTB know that freedom if information is a huge threat to their power, so they want desperately to control the internet. So they are gonna do everything they can to jam this bill thru.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
For those of you that cannot get the page to load, see if you can ping the website.

I am pinging it now and the IP coming back is 174.129.212.2 I have Cox and I can see the site as well right now.

If you cannot ping it by domain name then try the IP. If you CAN ping it by the IP then try entering that in to your browser instead of the domain name.

If you cannot ping by domain or IP then try running a tracert and see what comes back.

I used to work for an ISP and these are all things I would have had a customer do. Let me know what you find and who your ISP is!!!!

**General instructions on how to run a ping test**
This will work for Windows XP

1. Click on the Start button
2. click on Run
3. type cmd in the box and then click OK

Black screen pops up (DOS window)

4. exactly where the little flashing cursor is type the following: ping americansensorship.org
5. press Enter on your keyboard

You want to see if you get any replies. If NOT then try the same thing but instead of americansensorship.org type in the following: 174.129.212.2 and then press Enter

If you need instructions for Windows Vista or 7 let me know.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by januaryx5th

Originally posted by Big Trouble in Little Chi

Yeah I know, it appears that it may possibly be just an issue with Slow DNS upgrades throughout the US, sometimes I hear it can take up to 48 hours, but you would expect slow DNS updates from smaller companies first... not the largest ones.

I just cycled some DNS numbers and was still unable to access the site.
Something is really fishy here.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join