It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dissention in the ranks of Denver Occupy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Well, here you occupy people go. It's only a matter of time before all these movements fall apart or splinter into offshoots. Will you all still have the same goals then?

blogs.westword.com... tq.php

Trouble in paradise?

In light of the recent creation of Liberate Denver, an occupation offshoot focused on safer spaces and better internal relationships, Occupy Denver proper has had a few decisions to make. Last night, this meant a vote to officially recognize the roles of the female and LGBTQ members inside the movement. The new wording, while more symbolic than immediately practical, comes with a firm understanding that any discrimination will be more than frowned upon in the future.

Liberate Denver? The occupy movements are all over the board. Seems safety was an issue here, and internal relationships? Hmmmmmmm.

In past weeks, internal unrest, particularly in regard to gender and equality issues, sparked the creation of Liberate Denver, a gathering of protesters who either support the occupation or have cut ties with the local branch in order to create a safe community space.

Gender and equality issues? Wait a second, who exactly who and what have all these occupy movements been about?

These are some serious issues within the ranks!

​"Women and transgendered people are marginalized here and treated as 23rd-class citizens inside the movement," protester Kerri Kellerman told Westword. "People here want change for themselves, but right now it doesn't feel like they want equality. We have homeless people and addicts and tweakers just like every other group does, and we have to support all of our members equally."

Read the rest for yourself. What a joke!~

edit on 22-11-2011 by supine because: fix link

edit on 22-11-2011 by supine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Yeah thats what happens when you have a DOG as your leader.
2nd.
blogs.westword.com...
edit on 22-11-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-11-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
fix your link

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
It's really not that complicated.

They need to unite on common issues and leave the disparate issues at the door.

I empathize with Liberate Denver. Why trade one form of oppression for another?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
There is no end to the dog puns that can and have been made about Border Collie-mix Shelby's appointment as the leader of Occupy Denver's leaderless movement. Westword will be doggone if we haven't heard the full range of them since we announced her term exactly two weeks ago. But this weekend brought in a new batch of cheap shots heard round the world on NPR. Culled from all the feedback over the past fourteen days is an important question: Has Shelby:From the article above!

Uh hello people a DOG is the leader!!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
fix your link

Thanks for pointing that out, and I have tried but still got the same result.

The article can be found at blogs.westword.com/latestword/2011/11occupy/occupy_denver_female_lgbtq.php

Maybe some nice person can figure out how to fix it for me? Sorry!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by rexusdiablos
It's really not that complicated.

They need to unite on common issues and leave the disparate issues at the door.

I empathize with Liberate Denver. Why trade one form of oppression for another?

Exaclty, and they are living in tents to be oppressed even furthur!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
this? i think i fixed it, not sure. slightly different address than the one you gave.

blogs.westword.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
There is no end to the dog puns that can and have been made about Border Collie-mix Shelby's appointment as the leader of Occupy Denver's leaderless movement. Westword will be doggone if we haven't heard the full range of them since we announced her term exactly two weeks ago. But this weekend brought in a new batch of cheap shots heard round the world on NPR. Culled from all the feedback over the past fourteen days is an important question: Has Shelby:From the article above!

Uh hello people a DOG is the leader!!!!

they are leaderless
they made a dog the leader to spoof the media and the establishment.

what dont you get about this?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
YOU PEOPLE ARE ALL FRIGGIN MAD IF YOU DO NOT WANT A DOG FOR YOUR LEADER!!

I am G146541 and I approve this message.

I love the idea to have a doggie as the leader, it will never tell you to go to war, it will never bail out a bank with your cash,
There are many things a dog will not do.
Dogs are instinctual animals, I always listen to mine.
So, until we can act more like animals and less like humans, maybe we should have a dog in office.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
this? i think i fixed it, not sure. slightly different address than the one you gave.

blogs.westword.com...

Ah, yes, thanks very much. I don't know why I couldn't get it to paste here for me. I tried a few times!
edit on 22-11-2011 by supine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
As soon as it stops being about stuff that matters and becomes an "identity issues" freakshow involving race, gender, and sexuality, it loses whatever mandate it might have had amongthe public at large.

Shame on you, Occupy. Let it be known that "the whole world was watching" and rather than using the power that comes with attention to push for focused reform on issues that matter (banking, campaign finance, etc), it squandered this power on navel-gazing nonsense.

The politically correct identity-issue brgade is the leftist equivalent of Christanity fundamentalism on the right: an extreme ideologically-motivated wing that drags the rest down with it and fills sane and rational people with well-deserved revulsion. You people wasted a great opportunity.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
The people wanting OWS to have a leader are the same people who want said leader so that they can have someone to tear down in the hopes of dismantling this movement. The vote to have a dog as a leader was a slap in the face to those people. Anyone who believes the dog vote was a serious gesture is beyond help, and needs to bow out of future discussions concerning the Occupy movement.
Back on topic; there is infighting within the OWS movement, but that is to be expected. To manage a movement without the use of a "manager" is a terribly complex task, and one that will remain bumpy in the foreseeable future, but one that is necessary to keep those who would stunt this movement on their toes.
We're dealing with thousands of human beings, people with as many issues and cocerns as there are members. There was infighting when this country was formed, and there has been since, but it doesn't mean that progress isn't possible, or that this movement is doomed. As long as there are people willing to face the discomfort of change, there will always be hope.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Whats happening here I believe is that certain people have been identified as infiltrators, the mainstream is painting it as a split, but its only a split between those whom are shills for the system and those whom want real change. Thats my belief anyways.

top topics

join