It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas HS forcing kids to pledge allegiance to Mexico

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
www.wfaa.com...

Texas student's refusal to say Mexican pledge, anthem starts controversy . Posted on November 21, 2011 at 11:04 PM

RIO GRANDE VALLEY, Texas - Every day students in Texas public schools pledge allegiance to the flags of the United States and Texas.

But when a teacher in a Rio Grande Valley high school assigned students to stand and pledge allegiance to the Mexican flag and sing Mexico's national anthem, one student refused.

The resulting controversy has one East Texas lawmaker wanting changes in the state's curriculum on how culture and patriotism are taught in schools.

15-year-old Brenda Brinsdon entered her sophomore year at McAllen ISD's Achieve Early College High School just wanting to do well in her classes.

But in mid-September she got an unexpected lesson on personal conviction and taking on the system.

Brinsdon said she stood her ground by staying seated when first-year Spanish 3 teacher Reyna Santos assigned her class to stand and recite Mexico's pledge of allegiance.

The teacher also told students to memorize and recite the the pledge individually.

And when the time came for the part of the assignment to sing Mexico's national anthem, Brinsdon again refused.

snip

----------------------------------------------------------

Obamerica - where kids are taught treason in the schools their taxes pay for.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Interesting.

I had always thought Texas was apart of Mexico.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
1. It's an assignment to learn another Nation's Pledge...That's it.

2. Nowhere does it say that it is expected of the students to pledge allegiance to another Nation or that the students must do this every day.

3. At 15 yrs of age, she MIGHT be doing this to draw attention the same way many students protest the dissection of frogs in Biology class. Many have no problem with it but it's a chance to make a name for themselves and come off as a hero to other students by launching their first protest against authority.

In Canada, we had to learn the US pledge when I was in grade 2 and 3 I believe. We didn't have to pledge every morning. We also had to learn about the constitution, history, branches of Govt...of the US.

How is this any different?

It's a Country just a few miles away...learn about it. The US isn't the only Country in the World.

edit on 22-11-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
1. It's an assignment to learn another Nation's Pledge...That's it.

2. Nowhere does it say that it is expected of the students to pledge allegiance to another Nation or that the students must do this every day.

3. At 15 yrs of age, she MIGHT be doing this to draw attention the same way many students protest the dissection of frogs in Biology class. Many have no problem with it but it's a chance to make a name for themselves and come off as a hero to other students by launching their first protest against authority.

In Canada, we had to learn the US pledge when I was in grade 2 and 3 I believe. We didn't have to pledge every morning. We also had to learn about the constitution, history, branches of Govt...of the US.

How is this any different?

It's a Country just a few miles away...learn about it. The US isn't the only Country in the World.

edit on 22-11-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

yes, but this is america, land of the free to be ignorant of your neighbors.. not canada.

i have no idea how your crazy govt works.. and really, why should i?
and more importantly, why the hell should you care how our govt works?

that sounds like superfluous knowledge in the extreme to me, a lot of kids have trouble with basic math and science... why waste time with any more information theyre never going to use either? lol

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
How ignorant, its a lesson not a every day thing. She should say no to the American pledge. Every morning its brain wash repetition.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
that's odd a school would still pledge allegiance to the american flag at all.
I can remember doing that when I was very young, but it wasn't long before they made us stop. It offended the immigrants they said.
that was... oh.... over 40 years ago.
not to give away my age or anything.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45

Aside from this sentence which seems a little like political trolling (heads up, but I could be wrong) the entire post is word for word from the link. You may want to put that in quotations or [ ex] brackets.

Why do you feel President Obama should be responsible for all the actions and behaviors of all 308+ million Americans? *What makes him accountable?

How is President Obama responsible for the choice of some teacher in Texas deciding to have her students say and do what they did?

Thanks & have a great week,

edit on 22-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: *Add "What makes him accountable?"

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BohemianBrim

yes, but this is america, land of the free to be ignorant of your neighbors.. not canada.

Because Canada can not ignore it's neighbor, America. Why? Because America, that is why.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

Originally posted by BohemianBrim

Because Canada can not ignore it's neighbor, America. Why? Because America, that is why.

"Settle down class, the lesson for today is 'Why America is Insane'..."

LOL "because america"

you have to say it like "beecuz aMERica!" though.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

This is a fairly old story, and was covered in a thread on ATS weeks ago (you might be able to Search for it).

In any case, this is another instance of the Right Wing blowing something perfectly innocent way out of proportion, and using for propaganda. From the source, further down in the article:

"This is a class," Alonzo said. "This is not doing allegiance to Mexico, it's not you know you are going to be part of Mexico, this is just a class to learn Spanish - to learn an aspect of what is Texas."

It was a frigging Spanish class! Where you go to learn to speak the language.....Spanish.

Spanish lessons.

End of story.

Finito.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Uhm....I'm not a big Obama fan but....

When I was in high school Bush (Jr.) was president and in my SPANISH class my first assignment the first week was to memorize the Mexican Pledge...sooooo...it's not really an Obama thing.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

but it is if you want it to be, i think thats the point he was getting at...

regardless of whether or not he meant to.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird

"This is a class," Alonzo said. "This is not doing allegiance to Mexico, it's not you know you are going to be part of Mexico, this is just a class to learn Spanish - to learn an aspect of what is Texas."

It was a frigging Spanish class! Where you go to learn to speak the language.....Spanish.

Makes perfect sense to me then.

But why oh why was the only sentence offered by the OP anti-Obama rhetoric?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

snip

----------------------------------------------------------

The snip part is the part where it is a Spanish Class.

Leaving parts of the story out are we?
A tactic also used by FOX "News"

edit on 22-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: remove 68
's from my post

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

Originally posted by ProudBird

Makes perfect sense to me then.

But why oh why was the only sentence offered by the OP anti-Obama rhetoric?

probably for much the same reasons that the Felps clan protest the funerals of fallen soldiers with "god hates fags" signs.

sometimes "logic" isnt objective.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
i'd be worried if they were learning it en espanol.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
She's just anti mexican...just read her twitter and every other accounts.

The anti-mexican sentiments are there. Maybe just a racist, maybe just brain washed into thinking her country is the greatest in the world..or just plain stupid.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
i'd be worried if they were learning it en espanol.

Be worried. Be very worried. They were learning it in Spanish class.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
The anti-mexican sentiments are there. Maybe just a racist, maybe just brain washed into thinking her country is the greatest in the world..or just plain stupid.

The American national average IQ is 98.
Legally retarded (legally impaired) is an IQ of 70 or less.
The genius range is 140 and above.
70 or 140. Which is 98 a lot closer to?

Texas is not in the top 25 states with the highest average IQs.

Just some facts I thought I would share.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Ok I understand that the "objective" is to learn a foreign pledge as it is a spanish class.
Why can the students not opt to learn the US pledge in spanish?
But to have to recite ritual prayers against your belief I believe is wrong.
I would take an F+ on the test and tell the teacher to punch sand.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join