It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fluoride Varnish?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I just came back from the dentist. I had a cleaning, you know, polishing and scraping. I was waiting in a cubical for the hygenist, who was treating a patient in the next cubical stall. She was telling that client that she wanted to do a fluoride varnish on her, and that she should not use her prescription fluoride treatment until this weekend, today is Tuesday. The woman complained about how gooey and sticky the treatment felt, and the hygenist told her it would feel that way for between 4 to 6 hours, but that she could eat.

Well, low and behold, she gave me the same spiel. She wanted to do a fluoride varnish on my teeth. I had never heard of this before. When I told her that I was already using a prescription fluoride treatment, albeit irregularly, she started to explain to me how the consentrated fluoride treatment, which is the varnish, would "chrystallize" certain areas, providing protection for, and harden my teeth.

I told her that I had read that this crystallization process was dangerous and that the fluoride provided also chrystallizes and hardens glands. She told me that she had studied that effect in college, and that it probably wouldn't effect me. But, she said, that if I had doubts that I should research the subject myself, and she could apply it at my next appointment, after I had seen that she was correct. She advised me to use my prescription fluoride daily.

So, I did a search on fluoride varnish, but all I could find is main stream dentistry websites. I'm not young and my teeth aren't great. Does anybody have any information on this procedure and long term risks?
edit on 22-11-2011 by windword because: fluoride spelling

edit on 22-11-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-11-2011 by windword because: spelling and grammar

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Personally I only use toothpaste with stannous fluoride in it. I stay away from all sodium fluoride products. As sodium fluoride is a poison. I would get into the history of it but it's long. My teeth are in perfect condition and I don't get them cleaned ever when I go to the dentist. I always decline when they offer. I eat a lot of candy as well. Just putting in my two cents.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

It's bad enough in low doses like tap water, even worse in medium doses like toothpaste, and it's really, really bad in concentrated form such as varnish.

Safety data for sodium fluoride

Toxicology

Very toxic by ingestion, inhalation and skin contact. 4g may be fatal. May cause burns. Severe eye irritant. Chronic exposure may cause lung damage. TLV 2.5 mg/m3 (as F). Toxicity data

It can't be that bad since they let the Dentists use it right?

Studies show it's safe

edit on 22-11-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by binkbonk

YIKES! Thanks for that link.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Good reading but I am going to preach anyways here........The wife and myself both refuse the Fluoride treatment at our dentist and she gets really upset with us.
We insist on no Fluoride and she has to comply if she wants us for patients and more so income.
We bought a RO water system a couple of years ago so no chems in our water whatsoever here.
Our toothpaste is also Fluoride free here, but you cannot avoid it.
I mean buy a can of soup .....odds are it has it in it.....etc etc....
But we are happy with our decision to at least have some control over what is being put into our bodies here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Yeah, she was arguing with me that soda has a ton of fluoride in it, as do substitute sweeteners. I told her that I don't drink sodas at all, and never use artificial sweeteners, but good to know!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Are you sure your not thinking of Aspartame?
Anyhow, I would highly recommend avoiding both flouride and Aspartame.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

In every country that implements fluoridated water, incidence of type 2 Diabetes begins to rise within 5 years.

It could be that there is no correlation.

However...

When you give blood, there is often a waxy substance at the bottom of the test tube. This is a fluoride compound that specifically inhibits the action of insulin on the blood sample, to preserve the sample. Check it out with your pathologist.

It doesn't take a genius to infer a link.

Fluoride is a poison, and a cumulative one too.

edit on 22/11/2011 by chr0naut because: I love to edit!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Yes it does not hurt to stand your ground especially when you are paying the bill........we don't do soda/pop here either nor the sugar nor the artificial stuff either.
How ever we are probably just as polluted as the next person.
Regards, iwinder

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SnakeShot

Are you sure your not thinking of Aspartame?
Anyhow, I would highly recommend avoiding both flouride and Aspartame.

I know! She said that there was a sugar like substitute for fluoride and I asked her if she was referring to aspartame, but I couldn't pronounce it correctly, so she did. She assured me that its not the same and that sodas were far worst that a fluoride varnish. But I don't drink soda, so..........

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Well I just had extensive dental work done with a cleaning as well. I'm still alive.....so far.

BTW....this glass of tap water is just divine.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Fluoride Varnish? Yes no?

I have drank fluoride treated tap water most of my life. I have also been forced to "swish" fluoride in its pure form while in elementary school while in class. (my parents consented).

I went to the dentist and the dentist said I have very very strong enamel on my teeth with no cavities and I was an exception to most people he has seen. I thank the fluoride.

But I am gullible, easily brainwashed , overweight and unmotivated.

So pick what you want in life. Good teeth? Or Good life....

new topics

top topics

join