It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Mic Checked by OccupyNH

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

The Occupy movement followed President Obama to New Hampshire today, where protestors interrupted his jobs speech at a high school in Manchester.
Here is what the protesters intended to say, according to a paper statement distributed to reporters: “Over 4000 peaceful protesters have been arrested. While bankers continue to destroy the American economy. You must stop the assault on our 1st amendment rights. Your silence sends a message that police brutality is acceptable. Banks got bailed out. We got sold out.”

Source and Video

I'm not too sure this will gain OccupyNH any support but their grievance is legitimate in my opinion. Our leaders condemn the actions taken against protesters in other countries yet, while not as extreme, our police assault protesters regularly now. I wish there was video of the whole thing, maybe something will pop up on youtube.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Question:

Do you even know what Occupy Wall Street stands for? Represents?

Not sure if any of th protestors know.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kellynap43

It stands for a lot. Do you have a specific question or comment related to my OP?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

They also interrupted Ron Paul, but he gave them a decent acknowledgement and rebuttal.

At least they are attacking everybody.

I agree with others though, the movement does not have any direction, and they don't realize that people like Ron Paul and some of the Tea Partiers are actually on their side. They need to be careful not to alienate the ultra-conservatives that currently empathize and support them.

I think the movement is great just for getting attention, and getting reaction, and voicing the concerns of the majority of the population. They may be misguided, have weak leadership and no unified direction, but at least they show up in mass, and that is a great start!!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
There have been a few Occupy's around the US that have marched on Obama's local campaign offices. We did in my area.

Obama is not free and clear from the discontent I and others feel towards the corruption as a whole. Hopefully this will show that Occupy is not a Democratic movement, no matter how hard people try to label it so.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

The President, who has said the Occupy Wall Street movement voices the public’s widespread frustration with the country’s financial system, later mentioned the protests in his speech.

Source

I think it speaks volumes that Obama later acknowledges them...they made their presence known and I am guessing he had little choice...otherwise might no have heard a peep about OWS!

Good for them though...if for nothing else...making Obama shut up for a second and take notice that there is a whole country around him...the spot light went out for a second.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I agree with you in part that attention time is coming to a close. Many, especially here on ATS but I see it elsewhere too, are behind Ron Paul (if you notice they cheer for Paul at the end) and agree with some things that the Tea Party stands for. I disagree whole-heartedly that the movement lacks direction. I've made a few threads showing this.

I personally can't vote for Ron Paul for a few reasons but I agree with him about a lot. Unfortunately the things I don't are deal breakers. I would love to have another candidate than Obama to vote for.
edit on 22-11-2011 by Kali74 because: typos

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Obama handled it well.

The protesters were quickly countered by students, chanting “Obama, Obama!” and several minutes of arguing back and forth ensued.

After listening briefly, the President asked the group to quiet down. “I’m going to be talking about a whole range of things today and I appreciate you guys making your point. Let me go ahead and make mine… I’ll listen to you and you listen to me,” Obama said.
The President, who has said the Occupy Wall Street movement voices the public’s widespread frustration with the country’s financial system, later mentioned the protests in his speech.

“A lot of the folks who’ve been down in New York and all across the country in the Occupy movement, there is a profound sense of frustration, a profound sense of frustration about the fact that the essence of the American Dream… feels like it’s slipping away,” he said.

Not that this will be enough for OWS...or the fact that his speech was about tax cuts for the working class.

They are protesting and demanding things...then when someone is trying to address those concerns (Obama and Ron Paul both), they act like idiots and interrupt their forum.

They say one thing, then act against their interests...this is what people mean when they say OWS doesn't know what they want. Their actions don't match their words.
edit on 22-11-2011 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Thanks! I can't see the videos from work.

It's good to know he acknowledged their presense as well and didn't just blow them off. Obama has some decent ideas too, but he is too quick to compromise with his party leadership, or with the Republicans. I was really hoping he would stand his ground back at the debt ceiling crunch time, but he kind of gave away the farm, and now the super-committee has failed and now we are back to the drawing board.

I think, if Obama wasn't running for re-election, he might be a decent president, LOL!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

At Ron Pauls Town Hall they waited until the end of his speech. At Obama's speech they started right before he spoke and quieted when he asked them to. When is the last time you felt like a politician actually heard you?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Everytime I vote.

It says "I agree with what you plan to do" or "I agree what you have done in the past".

And do you think Obama "heard" what these people had to say?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

If only voting addressed all the issues hmm?

I hope he "heard" them, the response to protesters has been outrageous.
edit on 22-11-2011 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Not that this will be enough for OWS...or the fact that his speech was about tax cuts for the working class.

They are protesting and demanding things...then when someone is trying to address those concerns (Obama and Ron Paul both), they act like idiots and interrupt their forum.

They say one thing, then act against their interests...this is what people mean when they say OWS doesn't know what they want. Their actions don't match their words.

Oh please

I was confused when they mic checked Ron Paul, but Ron Paul agreed with them so it worked out fine.

Obama IS the guy we should be protesting!

He is the guy that re-appointed Ben Bernake as chair of the federal reserve, as we found out this year Ben authorized trillions in secret bail outs! That should be the story of the year! Plus Ben Bernake was George Bush's financial adviser.

The people didn't want more Bush economics, we wanted change, Obama gave us bail outs and put Bush's adviser back at the helm of our economy.

Obama and the rest of them dems are not going to give us change, neither will the republicans. The only solution is to over-throw the current government and bankers.

OWS's only stated goal on their website is world revolution.

The system has been corrupted, time for revolution, not time to try fix what is broken beyond repair. The movement is only growing, try to paint OWS however you want it, but it is just a resistance movement.

Oh, and OWS (as in specifically wallstreet) is about wall street. But "occupy" itself and "mic checking" is just a form of protest which can be used by any sort of protest movement, no matter what your message is you can start an "occupy" movement.
edit on 22-11-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

Well then I can officially write OWS off as irrelevant than.

Thanks for clearing that up.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

reply to post by CREAM

Well then I can officiall write OWS off as irrelevant than.

You are clearly not ready for what will be the American Spring

occupywallst.org...

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM

reply to post by CREAM

Well then I can officiall write OWS off as irrelevant than.

You are clearly not ready for what will be the American Spring

occupywallst.org...

I see that you have high hopes for chaos and destruction.

I'll watch the protestors get put down from the comfort of my home. I don't want revolution in my country...I don't want rabble to overthrow Constitutionally elected officials...from OWS or the Tea Party. Why would I support OWS if that is their goal?

Also, OWS drastically over estimates their size and influence.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I see that you have high hopes for chaos and destruction.

I'll watch the protestors get put down from the comfort of my home. I don't want revolution in my country...I don't want rabble to overthrow Constitutionally elected officials...from OWS or the Tea Party. Why would I support OWS if that is their goal?

Also, OWS drastically over estimates their size and influence.

Only about 1/3 of Americans actively supported the revolution against the brits, about another third defended the brits. Around 3-10% actually fought. Right now the government is trampling on the constitution, not gonna happen for too much longer.

"I'll watch the protestors get put down from the comfort of my home" Enjoy your TV "programming". Glad to here you won't interrupt the movement.

Anyway, back on topic.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

Comparing a "revolution" in a time where the most advanced weapon was a musket to a "revolution" of today isn't entirely accurate.

And the American revolution was more of an isurgence against an occupation (no pun intended). Today...you will be killing your fellow American.

It's hillarious to me that some people think we are at that point...I'll see you after the "American spring"...and then you can tell me how your "revolution" went.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Obama certainly handled it better than his address to the failed Super Committee. We need true leadership in this nation right now and someone who can rise above the fray and the finger pointing. I only wish the group would have had the chance to discuss something other than arrest figures during their mic check.

this is all they had to say in an official message.

"Mr. President, over 4000 peaceful protesters have been arrested while bankers continue to destroy the American economy," it said. "You must stop the assault on our 1st Amendment rights. Your silence sends a message that police brutality is acceptable. Banks got bailed out. We got sold out."

www.cbsnews.com...

I'll give them credit for getting into the event but they are still focused on bankers and not congress. Don't forget the $90billion handed to the auto industry either and the Fannie and Freddie bonuses (quasi govt) They are just shooting blanks into the air with stuff like this.

Time to Mic check Congress next and get focused and get serious if you want people to honestly pay attention.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

Source

I think it speaks volumes that Obama later acknowledges them...they made their presence known and I am guessing he had little choice...otherwise might no have heard a peep about OWS!

Good for them though...if for nothing else...making Obama shut up for a second and take notice that there is a whole country around him...the spot light went out for a second.

Ummm I dare ask, did you even watch the video linked in the article?

OWS got shouted down by Obama supporters who were too busy chanting Obama's name to even take a second or two out of their day to hear anything being said by OWS protesters.

I found it to be really kind of disgusting and it goes to show just how many brainwashed idiots there really are. Obama did not address anything said by OWS protesters and instead insisted he be allowed to give his prepared speech. What we see here is the complete opposite of what we saw when OWS interrupted Ron Paul. Paul at least let them finish, heard what they had to say, then addressed it. Obama dismissed it and went on with his speech.
edit on 22-11-2011 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join