It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Future of the Computer (check this out)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

The Future of the Computer (check this out)

blog.laptopmag.com

Is that a USB key in your pocket or a dual-core computer? Today, Norwegian company FXI technologies showed off a USB stick-sized portable computer prototype, complete with a dual-core 1.2-GHz Samsung Exynos ARM CPU (same as in the Galaxy S II), 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI-out and a microSD card slot for memory. Codenamed Cotton Candy because its 21 gram weight is the same as a bag of the confection, the tiny PC enables what its inventor calls “Any Screen Computing,” the ability to turn any TV, laptop, phone, tablet, or set-top box into a dumb terminal for its Android operating system.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This is crazy, I dont even know what to say about it, but I want one, and just think of the manufacturing cost behind it, atleast the materials, its like 1 dollar. Everyone could now own a decent computer. If your a computer person this should spark some interest and if you like android. Apple needs to jump on this one quick.

blog.laptopmag.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I saw this on ATS yesterday, its pretty interesting. Its great if you just want to troll the ATS boards

I don't really see this taking off in my area. If it was cheap I might try it out though.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

complete with a dual-core 1.2-GHz Samsung Exynos ARM CPU (same as in the Galaxy S II)

Lol yeah, you'll be running a single app at blistering slow speeds.

I'm not sure if this is the same company or not but I read about a "usb linux box" much like this running, err, not sure which linux kernel, but it's the same idea.

Nifty

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

They expect it to sell for under 200 bucks, not bad. I think I have to have one too. Think of the possibilities... Did you read the part about how it works when plugged into your PC USB drive? I think it will have some awesome uses.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The world's most powerful computer is Japan's K Computer.

It's the first supercomputer to achieve a performance level of 10 Petaflop/s, or 10 quadrillion calculations per second. It first took the number one position in June this year, with a performance of 8.16 Petaflop/s.

The computer is physically vast, taking up a huge room.

However, by 2050, it's likely that almost everybody will walk around with computers in their pockets just as powerful as the K Computer but which will be the size of present day mobile phones.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I find high end computing much more interesting.

Like Sandy Bridge-E processors. The die size is 435mm^2 (this is enormous) with 2.27 billion transistors operating at between 3.3ghz and 3.9ghz. Full load power consumption is about 130 watts: about 30 watts per square centimeter which is about three times the power density of an electric stove at full power. Overclocking to 4.8ghz, (@ 1.52v) increases the power consumption to about 300 watts (!), which would drain an average laptop battery in about ten minutes, and this is only one part of a computer.

(it's physically an 8-core processor but 2-cores have been disabled on the desktop variant - since desktop tasks typically wouldn't use 8-cores, disabled 2 enables higher clock speeds. Server variants will use all 8-cores).

www.anandtech.com...

Only (
) $600 for the 3.2ghz version and $1050 for the 3.3ghz version (with more cache). But if your business depends on it, it can be most definitely worth it.

It's beautiful. And something that should be 20-30% faster will be out in a year.

edit on 24/11/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
The future of the computer seems stupid to me. Most desktop apps will be replaced by web apps.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

And what happens when the internet connection goes out for whatever reason? Your $500+ netbook becomes a nice paperweight. Web apps may be nice, but there are too many drawbacks..

With the current expansion of processing power and disk sizes, there is no need to have everything you do on your PC online. or to have apps that require web access to run.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sm0k3

That's why I'm saying the future is stupid. Cloud computing can go to hell.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
A computer that small is real dumb, what happens when you reach into your pocket for some change and your lighter sized computer falls out of your pocket and down a storm drain ? or you leave it on the side table and your dog eats it ??

Just thinking out loud

Rock Ape

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rock Ape
A computer that small is real dumb, what happens when you reach into your pocket for some change and your lighter sized computer falls out of your pocket and down a storm drain ? or you leave it on the side table and your dog eats it ??

Just thinking out loud

Rock Ape

put it on your keychain. solved.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Just thinking out loud

Rock Ape

You can say the same about modern mobile phones.
edit on 26-11-2011 by Sicksicksick because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Just thinking out loud

Rock Ape

Or bad eyes like mine and give it away in change. A kid at the school were I work won an ipod the other day. It was the size of a thumbnail or postage stamp. It's kinda mind-boggling.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

complete with a dual-core 1.2-GHz Samsung Exynos ARM CPU (same as in the Galaxy S II)

Lol yeah, you'll be running a single app at blistering slow speeds.

I'm not sure if this is the same company or not but I read about a "usb linux box" much like this running, err, not sure which linux kernel, but it's the same idea.

Nifty

Not true. The galaxy s 2 is more than capable of playing CPU intensive uncompressed 1080p video out to any display over HDMI. That's something that I struggled to do on my previous dual core desktop PC (which 4 years ago was pretty high end). It's not a top end CPU but it's more than enough for multitasking every day end user applications. Would you use it for encoding HD video? Of course you wouldn't. Could you use it for browsing the web, checking email and watching HD video content? You certainly could.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Another redundant device in your pocket next to your cell phone that already does all this?

I used to even use my 10-year old digital camera to transfer files to work instead of writing CDs.

I don't understand the innovation aspect here.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

For educators and sales people, it is a wonderful development. Imagine being able to take your whole computer and files to meeting, or someone's house with a large LED or Plasma screen, all of which have USB media input....

A pocket wireless mouse and keyboard will be needed.... ready to go.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

That's not miniature, and it's not in your pocket, a simple Cricket does all that, a phone does even more.

new topics

top topics

join