It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass. Fishermen snare 881-pound tuna, Feds take it

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Should the feds make anything off of cars and boats confiscated from drug runners?
No, of course I'm not saying the crime is the same. But the principle is.
What is done with the money if it is kept?
www.noaanews.noaa.gov...
edit on 11/22/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well now I want sashimi.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
He caught it accidentally. Was he supposed to notify the fish ahead of time so they could avoid his net?

So next time I hit a deer on the road the government is going to call me a poacher and take it away?
edit on 22-11-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It depends on your state.

Bluefin fall under federal jurisdiction. The fish should have been left, accidental catch or not. If the fisherman were allowed to keep it, it would encourage more "accidental" catches, "Oopsy, how did that get in there? Oh well, might as well take it to the market."

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
He caught it accidentally. Was he supposed to notify the fish ahead of time so they could avoid his net?

So next time I hit a deer on the road the government is going to call me a poacher and take it away?
edit on 22-11-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

This is exactly why it is illegal to keep a deer run over on the road. Then people would just get deer by saying they had hit one by accident and soon the deer population would be devastated like the fish now are. Living in a dying fishing community I understand the stakes.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I think I would have grabbed the rod and reel and played it off that I caught it.

I would use the hooks and mess his lips up as evidence...........

Hell I would have left the hook in his mouth................

Being a good citizen does'nt pay too well these days..........It's a rough world out there

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Was the tuna alive when pulled into the boat? I can possibly see it being already dead depending on how long it was trapped and struggling. That might make a difference to me. If he was prepared and thought he had the correct permits why would he throw it back?

No way can the feds donate it to the homeless or whatever, they don't have the facilities to clean and process something like that. They've already sold it.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Most likely they will take the money and put it back in the program or give it to DOA.

That is a big ass fish. I would be tempted to keep it too. Take the pic, throw it back.

sorry charlie.

(sorry couldnt help myself)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

sorry charlie.

(sorry couldnt help myself)

I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Classic...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
this guy's a poacher. he got off easy by just losing the fish. tuna that big are endangered in this day and age.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I've seen bigger Giant Tuna then that. Just do a google search for Giant tuna.

Atlantic Tuna's have very strict catch laws. And no, you can't catch them with a net. Get yourself a good rod and a fighting chair. If the guy had a permit, then he knew better.

Now chances are that the tuna was dead or pretty near dead when he brought the nets up. Trawlers leave the nets down for a while. Why the feds confiscated it is beyond me. Probably because he was going to profit off of the illegal catch? On Long Island, tuna and shark are brought in and sold right on the dock.. for a LOT of money.

Here's an example of one. Not sure what its weight was. But this was caught by some guys I used to work with.

edit on 23-11-2011 by DerekJR321 because: added pic

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Should have thrown him back and got his bigger brother at a worlds RECORD of only 1496 pounds .
this 880 pounder is small fry www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

880 lbs is still impressive. Anything bigger then that usually gets featured in a movie.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Someone got that! Score!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join