It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass. Fishermen snare 881-pound tuna, Feds take it

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Look at the size of that Tuna !!!

This Nov. 12, 2011 photo released by NOAA and provided by Stephanie Rafael shows fishing boat owner Carlos Rafael in New Bedford, Mass., with an 881-pound tuna. The fish was snared as Rafael's crew set a net to catch bottom-dwelling fish. Federal fishery enforcement agents seized the fish when the crew returned to port. Rafael had tuna permits, but was told catching tuna with a net is illegal. They must instead be caught with rod and reel. (AP Photo/NOAA) — AP

I know it is illegal to net a Tuna...

Did I say "Look at the Size of that Tuna".

The Standard-Times of New Bedford reports ( http://(link tracking not allowed)/uczYap ) the tuna was likely inadvertently snagged as Rafael's crew set a net to catch bottom-dwellers. Federal fishery enforcement agents seized the fish when the crew returned to port Nov. 12. Rafael had tuna permits, but was told catching tuna with a net is illegal. They must instead be caught with rod and reel.

You could not catch that thing very easy on a Rod and Reel.

Rafael's fish will be sold overseas. He will likely get a warning and no share of the proceeds if regulators find a violation. Rafael might give up his tuna permits, saying they're apparently worthless.

I think a warning is probably good enough.

But that Tuna is unbelievable.

Tuna Story

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Sorry..Repost
link
edit on 22-11-2011 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
this is theft. pure and simple. a warning for accidentally catching a fish with a net? high quality tuna sells for 100's of thousands of dollars in the japanese market.

he just got bullied out of a large amount of cash. i bet he's thinks he's a great citizen.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
this is theft. pure and simple. a warning for accidentally catching a fish with a net? high quality tuna sells for 100's of thousands of dollars in the japanese market.

he just got bullied out of a large amount of cash. i bet he's thinks he's a great citizen.

Pretty much this sums it up. To those claiming "save the fish...they did the right thing"

LOL 2 letters.

BP

To those that don't get it...It's about MONEY not FISH!
edit on 22-11-2011 by Smell The Roses because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Are they supposed to grow that big and if not is it even a healthy sell?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wutz4tom

Sorry..Repost
link

Sorry...I searched for the Big Guy.

Mods...Please Delete

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

no problem, mine was moved to off-topics (below.topsecret.)so is easy to see how you missed it.
Im going to star and flag your post anyway.
good day!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

To bad he could not have been returned to the sea alive when caught. To often the large old breeders are removed from the population. It is like taking the smartest and healthiest that lived long and removing them so the weak can breed.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
there is very strict fishing rules for a reason.

i think its fair enough. when he pulled this up in the net he should have let it go.

whoever then seized it from him instead of giving him a warning was being very anal but he should have let it go and should not have being standing posing with it.

i was impressed with the pic until i read he caught it in a net.

it is possible to land these with a rod.

some numty claims this is all about money. no its not! if people were playing by the rules this fish should still be swimming in the sea.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

So, he caught it inadvertently, but the Feds seized it, likely wasted it, or took it home to their own families, but the guy that caught it won't get any benefit from it.

I understand the need for the rules and regulations, but I don't understand the seizing of the fish? I think a fine and letting him keep it would be more appropriate.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
You can teach a man to fish, but the #!&* government will take it away from him!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

"The one that got away". The Carlos Rafael story.

A demoralizing story of how the country with the most incarcerated people in prisons had his fish taken away.
How many laws are there in America, land of the free?

People who vote for more law makers (and pay them to make new laws) can not demonstrate they know the existing laws, or even the number of them. Idiots.

America, you can't enforce the laws that govern the land of America. Stop pretending like you can govern and control the oceans, too.

Give that man his fish back.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
That tuna could go for 500,000 dollars or more. I bet you that guy is pissed.

God knows I'd go postal.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Just like they do in wars, yes its off topic, but true, look at the 'western' population of to-day.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

Illegally taken game, including fish, is always confiscated (released if still alive).
No, the fisherman (poacher) should not be allowed to keep it. "Gee, I didn't know it was illegal."
edit on 11/22/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Whilst I don't support net fishing (having grown up with and still maintain very close proximity to the Australian coast fishing frequently with my old man) that is a ridiculously big Tuna!

Again, I don't support netting of fish..or any creature for that manner but I don't think they make 881 pound line! OR titanium rods capable of reeling bad boys like that in!

Poor Tuna, I wonder how old he is...

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by joyride0187

Illegally taken game, including fish, is always confiscated (released if still alive).
No, the fisherman (poacher) should not be allowed to keep it. "Gee, I didn't know it was illegal."
edit on 11/22/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I have to agree with Phage.

The guy had a permit.

He knew the rules...

I still can't get over the size of that thing.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Reply to post by Phage

But at the same time, the feds should not be making anything off of it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

The largest tuna caught with rod and reel using 130# line.
www.bigmarinefish.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by Phage

But at the same time, the feds should not be making anything off of it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Agreed...The Feds should not make money off it either.

It would be a nice time of year to donate it to the people in need.

If that thing is even edible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join