It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestions Please: If you had access to a real telescope, what would you look at?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I need a little help. I have 30 minutes to use a 16-inch reflecting Cassegrain focus telescope. What should I look at?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I would try to look at Ceres and asteriod belt activity around Ceres then Saturn north pole then finish checking out Venus. 10 minutes for each look. Is there something there

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Surfeit

your hot neighbour in the shower!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Here are some images from that same type telescope at The Queen's Observatory in Canada

The Orion Nebula
The Dumbbell Nebula
The Ring Nebula
Pinwheel Galaxy
Whirlpool Galaxy
etc

... and here's a photo of the scope itself:

observatory.phy.queensu.ca...
The Queen's Observatory is now home to a Torus Technologies CC04 automated telescope Ash Dome. This new equipment, in combination with our new Apogee Alta U9000 CCD camera added in 2007, will allow Queen's undergraduate students to engage in research programs and projects which greatly enhance their scientific training.

I'd love to have even 10 minutes of that viewfinder.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Jupiter/Saturn and.. !! Properly look at moon.!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

That unit at Queens is the one I am going to try out. It is being arranged as a gift. It should be amazing.
edit on 22-11-2011 by Surfeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Surfeit
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

That is the unit I am going to try out. It is being arranged as a gift. It should be amazing.

I hope you stroke who ever is giving you this gift!
That's an awesome idea!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
I would try to look at Ceres and asteriod belt activity around Ceres then Saturn north pole then finish checking out Venus. 10 minutes for each look. Is there something there

Good ones...thanks.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

She's a special one. I've been wanting to do this forever, so it's uber exciting.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Look at the huge buildings on ganymede.That moon of jupiter houses billions of aliens.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Surfeit
That unit at Queens is the one I am going to try out. It is being arranged as a gift. It should be amazing.

That'd be like a birthday and christmas all in one.

Enjoy!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Surfeit

Will you be able to take pic's? I would spend at least half my time geting some real close images of the moon.
If you can will you post them for us all to see.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

If I can get pics I will surely share them here. Until then......
edit on 22-11-2011 by Surfeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Surfeit

Fab i cant wait.
I realy cant wait,how long till you get your prezzy?
Thats a top present,wish my sexy hippy chick would buy me something that groovy.
edit on 22-11-2011 by marvinthemartian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

It's still in the works but x-mas break is coming at the uni so time may open up in a couple of weeks.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I would definitely look for craters on Uranus. I heard last month tha that Uranus was impacted by something large and caused a huge gas eruption from the surface of Uranus. Just a suggestion.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by imawlinn
I would definitely look for craters on Uranus. I heard last month tha that Uranus was impacted by something large and caused a huge gas eruption from the surface of Uranus. Just a suggestion.

Lol, i don't know if you joking or being serious. Hahaha.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Definetly moon, check 1 or 2 of the apollo missions landing sites, get some photo's of the flag, rover tracks, other equipment around the site and the stand left behind when they left moons surface in their module.

Then check some other spots like the huge "plasma bubble" crater or the tower on the moon, i dont know the lattitudes and longitudes for these spots.

image of the plasma bubble

this picture seems to have the coordinates included, tower on moon

Also the location and existence of this alleged ancient alien ship on the moon

edit on 22/11/2011 by Nupster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Surfeit

That depends on your observing location.

I mean, in pre-planning I would select from the darkest part of the sky (away from nearby city lights) at that location, and for that time. Use software (like Stellarium) for the night you will have the scope, and then select from the deep sky objects in that dark part of the sky-- probably with a bias for those nearer the azimuth than any near the horizon because there is less atmosphere to look through.

A 16" SC is a deep sky telescope-- so forget moon and planets. Think nebula, galaxies and clusters.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

I was unaware thanks.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join