It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chimp attack victim speaks about new face, new hopes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
On February 16, 2009. Charla Nash was attacked by a "pet" Chimpanzee named Travis. The chimp destroyed her face, her sight, her hands, and her life. You can read her story in the following links:
What caused chimp attack...
Charla Nash...

It has been a long journey since that horrifying day on Feb. 16, 2009. Nash had come to visit her friend, Sandra Herold, to help with her pet chimp, Travis. Travis was something of a local celebrity in their hometown of Stamford, Conn. He had appeared in commercials for Old Navy and Coca-Cola, been a guest on Maury Povich’s talk show, and was a familiar sight around town, riding in a car with his owners. But the chimp could also be aggressive, and Nash said she often felt uncomfortable around her friend's large, powerful "pet" before the attack. Nash had just gotten out of her car when Travis spotted her, went berserk and attacked. A terrified Herold dialed 911 and Nash was rushed to the hospital where doctors managed to save her life, but not her face or her hands. Nash was so terribly mauled that the policeman who responded to the call at first didn’t recognize Nash as human, and then, when he got closer, couldn’t tell if she was male or female.

The good news is, Charla is making a comback. And the medical community deserves recognition for their role in making it possible. This woman has overcome what would have been insurmountable odds just a decade ago.

Nash got her new face in a groundbreaking, 20-hour triple transplant surgery. Doctors replaced not only her face, but also the two hands ripped off in the horrific attack. The face thrived. Unfortunately there were problems with the hands. Because Nash developed pneumonia shortly after the transplant, her circulation was compromised and the hands began to deteriorate and doctors decided to remove them.

Chimp Attack Victim...

A heartbreaking story? Yes. But also a heart warming story. And one I felt was worthy of posting here. I wish this woman all the best.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I was looking at the video in one of your links you provided - an interview with I think her name is Meredith? Anyway, one of the hosts of the Today show. She asked Charla if she had any idea of what she actually looks like with her new face, and she said no...

She then said "people tell me I'm beautiful now, whereas I was never told I was beautiful in the past". It is both heart breaking and a good feeling if that makes sense, that she is being told she is beautiful now, as it is helping her emotionally as well. What a story...

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

I was hoping someone else would pick up on that. I had the same feelings you did about it. But I'm glad they're telling her that. She needs the confidence to get back to living her life to the best of her ability.

new topics

join