It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

suggestion: checkbox in profile - I believe in aliens and ET UFOs.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
A checkbox in the profile as described above, and displayed with the user's profile in all their posts would clear up a lot of clutter. For example, the thread:

World Governments Allow Evil Aliens To Capture Millions Of People In Exchange For Secret Technology

at: ATS Thread link

...would cut through a lot of the bull of why people post what they post, and let us know where they are really coming from.

I don't see why anyone would object to this.... if they don't believe, then they should be proud to say so, I think; and likewise for those who do.

Good idea?
edit on 21/11/2011 by MarkJS because: formatting

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I don't see any harm in it...but it may cause baiting or unwelcome insults...or even a condescending tone....from skeptics towards believers.

Interesting thought tho!

(I do believe, btw...as if my avatar didn't give it away!!!)

Flagged!

edit on 11/21/11 by RoswellCityLimits because: to change

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

Seems reasonable...might also have to include a "not sure" box too!

For those who really don't know what to believe!

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I think it sounds kind of pointless, someone who believes or not believes in UFOs strong enough to check that little box will probably let you know through their posts daily. Other than that it is just one more vehicle for ad hominem attacks, the same way people will focus on registration date when losing a debate.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

I don't really see the point to be honest, when you start going down that route you would need to cater for everyone else who believes in something controversial e.g. check box for reptilians, check box for ghosts/spirits, check box for God/Satan etc etc

You can usually suss out what someone believes in simply through their responses.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
not a bad idea but what about peoples beliefs are to obscure/original/complex to fit in a box?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir
not a bad idea but what about peoples beliefs are to obscure/original/complex to fit in a box?

well we can get carried away and have 20 boxes - to check or uncheck for various belief aspects. I was more thinking:

aliens and et ufos // or not

...would take precedence..... but I'm not opposed to 20 boxes, if it would help.

Originally posted by jerryznv
reply to post by MarkJS

Seems reasonable...might also have to include a "not sure" box too!

For those who really don't know what to believe!

... interesting option
edit on 21/11/2011 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

ATS is about thinking OUTSIDE the box...

and here you come along and want to put everyone INTO a box...

Surely it is easy to tell from a persons post, especially in that thread you pointed to (which BTW is in SKUNKWORKS and area for highly speculative topics in case you missed that) what their opinion is on the subject?

So what would you do.. check every ones profile to see what they checked before replying? LOL I rarely ever look at a profile, just listen to what they say in posts. Usually I can tell very quickly which side of the fence they are on

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
but in fairness wouldn't there need to be a tick box for bigfoot, ghosts, men in black, nessie, flying spaghetti monster etc?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

i accept that ET life is highly probable - but i dont accept 99% of claims on ATS , how to i tick my checkbox ?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
.. An "I am religious/gematria-freak/random-holy-roller" -checkbox whould also be nice one to add - to give other people a chance to ignore all that mumbo-jumbo. The alien/ufo-checkbox should be separate from this.
edit on 22-11-2011 by JackTheTripper because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
And then you would need to add checkboxes for all the other scenarios like.....

Do you believe aliens are demons?
Do you believe in creation?
Are you an athiest?
Do you think theres any point having a forum to express your beliefs when it can be all done by checkboxes?
edit on 23-11-2011 by OneManArmy because: spelling mistake

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

ATS is about thinking OUTSIDE the box...

and here you come along and want to put everyone INTO a box...

Surely it is easy to tell from a persons post, especially in that thread you pointed to (which BTW is in SKUNKWORKS and area for highly speculative topics in case you missed that) what their opinion is on the subject?

So what would you do.. check every ones profile to see what they checked before replying? LOL I rarely ever look at a profile, just listen to what they say in posts. Usually I can tell very quickly which side of the fence they are on

Funny. I was thinking that the checkbox (result) would be displayed under the user-profile background image, in the drop-down list... for convenience.

reply to post by lacrimosa
reply to post by ignorant_ape
reply to post by JackTheTripper
reply to post by OneManArmy

Thank you for your replies. The checkbox idea is a kind of work-around, IMO. The comprehensive solution would be to install a two-tier thread system, as in my suggestion in this ATS link.

top topics

join