It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Drugs Was Your Thanksgiving Turkey On?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

So far, 2011 has not been a great year for turkey producers. In May, an article in Clinical Infectious Diseases reported that half of U.S. meat from major grocery chains--turkey, beef, chicken and pork harbors antibiotic resistant staph germs commonly called MRSA. Turkey had twice and even three times the MRSA of all other meats, in another study.

In June, Pfizer announced it was ending arsenic-containing chicken feed which no one realized they were eating anyway, but its arsenic-containing Histostat, fed to turkeys, continues. Poultry growers use inorganic arsenic, a recognized carcinogen, for "growth promotion, feed efficiency and improved pigmentation," says the FDA. Yum.

The article goes on to say…..

Since the mad cow and Chinese melamine scandals of the mid 2000's, a lot more people think about the food their food ate than before. But fewer people think about the drugs their food ingested. Food animal drugs seldom rate Capitol Hill hearings which is just fine with Big Pharma animals divisions since if people knew the antibiotics, heavy metals, growth promotants, vaccines, anti-parasite drugs and feed additives used on the farm, they would lose their appetite. Besides, people aren't Animal Pharma's primary customers anyway and the long term safety of animal drugs isn't an issue, since patients supposed to die.

I always have looked forward to the yearly thanksgiving turkey, but after reading this story, not so much.
Thank god there is always a ham at our family thanksgiving feast.
I’m not all that sure about that now!

Please read the full article before posting comments, it’s very informative.
What Drugs Was Your Thanksgiving Turkey On?

edit on 21-11-2011 by mikemck1976 because: Added Link

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I may have put this thread under the wrong category. Mods feel free to move it as you see fit.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mikemck1976

Eeeeeeeeeew!!! Not even any of the good drugs in there!!!

Ok...I'm gonna hunt my gobbler this year!!! (true free-range!)

Thanx for the heads up!

S&F!

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoswellCityLimits
reply to post by mikemck1976

Eeeeeeeeeew!!! Not even any of the good drugs in there!!!

Ok...I'm gonna hunt my gobbler this year!!! (true free-range!)

Thanx for the heads up!

S&F!

Seems like that would be the way to go. I'm sure a wild turkey would be much safer to eat. I wonder if the way it's cooked would make any difference. We deep fry ours. But I don't think it would cook out the drugs.

new topics

top topics

join