It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thread Plagerism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Ok this may get thrown into BTS and the rant forum but I just wanted to find out from members why it is that some of us create threads and then watch within minutes new threads being created off of our links from the threads?

Is it just me or do other thread starters find this conspiracy to be true as well?

If I had a dollar for every time this has happened to me I would have loads of cash. I mean really...

And while I am on the subject, do the people usually if not always new members know that it is brazenly obvious?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Its for attention.
Everyone when they are new wants stars and flags.
They could just add to the discussion currently going on instead.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Ok this may get thrown into BTS and the rant forum but I just wanted to find out from members why it is that some of us create threads and then watch within minutes new threads being created off of our links from the threads?

While some are probably trying to "copy" your story......

Another simple answer is your post doesn't show up until you post it, so you might have opened a thread, and started typing out your post, while someone else searched, didn't see the topic, and did the same thing.

It happens all the time, the mods remove dupe threads, not sure what the problem is.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Another point to be made here while I am on to it and the thread plagiarizers, I have also noticed that when you do this underhanded imo act, you usually do not even bother to post in the thread you stole the idea from...

Now I am open to being wrong here if there is some form of beehive collective going on and it is all one huge mistake on my part and simply a collaborative coincidence.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Its not about that so much as once a thread is started, you see within a timely manner another thread spawned from your thread and the oftentimes difficult to find link has been sourced and used as a point of interest in its own thread without the thread starter even acknowledging the OP the link came from...

I have seen where it is sourced with an additional link to the Op where the subject matter came from and imo that 'is' acceptable.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

This is natural and true, but not only the new members wish to have their threads looked at and discussed, everyone who authors a thread here wants to talk about and make discoveries on the subject from every possible angle.

It is just plain respect imo to at least post in said thread and then move on to go deeper on a particular power point within the thread with proper acknowledgement to the thread that sparked the different viewpoint.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Maybe you could go back to this thread and explain what your talking about...

I mean you jumped to start a thread on plagerism...and I still have no idea what you were talking about in this thread.

Here...

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Nope that came after but was the final straw for me, see what I am getting at here? Anyone who can read and joins in the action here can put two and two together. I just get so tired of trying to read threads that interest me only to find spin offs and new threads based on links and ideas from other threads. Less and less originality going on and less respect for others threads .

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Nope that came after but was the final straw for me, see what I am getting at here? Anyone who can read and joins in the action here can put two and two together. I just get so tired of trying to read threads that interest me only to find spin offs and new threads based on links and ideas from other threads. Less and less originality going on and less respect for others threads .

I completely understand what you are saying...and I agree that it is getting worse...I just could not correlate the two...I was and am hopelessly confused about how that thread even remotely related to the OP.

I followed the linked thread a bit last night...and then a bit this morning...so when the new thread started and you posted about Plagiarism...I was like WTF is going on here...I guess I missed the connection.

Oh well...it happens every once in awhile!

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Reply to post by antar

ATSers are not making use of the search and yea I can see how that would be aggravating. Just keep at it and maybe your threads will get the attention it deserves.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I've never attempted to steal another's topic yet on many occasions find myself posting the same story. Search function sucks. Also, who cares? If it's an important topic I'm just here to discuss it and don't care if my thread is the one that gets the most attention.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
its called art when it is done in rap music....stealing others hard work to exploit for your own uses...

i say it is ok as long as the original thread is referenced and perhaps an explanation why the additional thread was necessary.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Seems I was following the thread from yesterday about the guy who's GF was making orgonite gifts when he discovers something sinister and relates it to her action. Then a new thread springs up about orgonite gifts a simple google search really and spins a whole new thread without even placing the find in the first thread, it was imo just another example of what I see happening all the time here.

The way to do it as I have stated in my Op is to link the two with respect and then move on with a clear direction. Coincidence? Maybe but it happens all the time.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I love your stuff and always open when I see you were the Op. Personally I have never seen you do this, you have your own individuality and I enjoy that even if I do not always agree with you.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DoNotForgetMe

This is true and yet if it is not a point of missing something in the search engine then it is a problem as I have stated and needs some light shed on it. To be very honest I have found thousands of articles through my own interests and searches on the web and come back to share with ATS only to find pages of the same interest in the search engines, I then add to one of the ongoing threads which sometimes were from the origins of ATS.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thanks that means a lot coming from you. I know I've done it a few times tough and had to give myself the old facepalm. Are we talking about just posting a news link, or a thread that's more personal? More personal threads are a different matter.
edit on 21-11-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

And that was in this thread titled "Possible GENUINE picture of a Fallen Angel?"

abovetopsecret...

Because that is the one you linked...so am I justifiably confused?

ETA: Never mind...this is crazy...I just am not getting it...I'll move on...sorry to misunderstand you!
edit on 21-11-2011 by jerryznv because: ...

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I've noticed this happening quite a bit over the past year or so. Unfortunately these people "repackage" the thread and post under another forum to avoid duplicate posting (very sneakily I might add). I've seen this happen many times with the Space Exploration and Science forums - watch out for those..... LOL!

As for me, I always support the person who posted first, unless they post 1 line and a link with nothing substantial. The others who jump onto the bandwagon.... I just ignore them. I do feel your pain however if you put in a lot of time and effort to create a thread only to see someone hijacking it by using the loophole mentioned above.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

OH agreed, what I am alluding to is when someone comes into your thread and takes a gander at one of your links supplied which in some cases are so deeply buried in the archives of time that there is no mistaking where they found the link in the first place and then starting a whole new thread based on that link, never to mention where they got the info in the first place which would make everything alright imo.

I have seen this respect happen more times than I can count and it is done with such courtesy it is never a problem and usually gets more discussion than the topic it was taken from. The reason could be because they find through an OPs links something even more interesting to them which leads them into a deeper look on the specific subject matter which the Op they got the link from spins off into another direction. There is a big difference.
edit on 21-11-2011 by antar because: o

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Seems I was following the thread from yesterday about the guy who's GF was making orgonite gifts when he discovers something sinister and relates it to her action. Then a new thread springs up about orgonite gifts a simple google search really and spins a whole new thread without even placing the find in the first thread, it was imo just another example of what I see happening all the time here.

The way to do it as I have stated in my Op is to link the two with respect and then move on with a clear direction. Coincidence? Maybe but it happens all the time.

I find the behavior annoying as well. Sometimes I think the ATS boards are being used by groups of people, who have an agenda to push a certain topic. For example a evangelical Christain bible study group, focusing on new age religions advising their memebers that "this weekend we go on ATS and attack the use of orgonite. The previous week having been evolution or some such volitile subject.

I was inspired by an epic thread here called "All Roads Lead to Rome" www.abovetopsecret.com...

It made me question some biblical stories and I started a thread asking if Jesus was really tempted by satan. www.abovetopsecret.com... And there were many spin offs from that thread.

Personally I was flattered that those threads were born from mine.
edit on 21-11-2011 by windword because: I clicked on post instead of preview

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join