It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OWS - is good for capitalism!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
You heard me right...

I doubt many people would say that the state of our economic system is very healthy or
pure. In fact, I would say it completely screwed up and as corrupt as can be. Big business
concerns not only own a larger portion of the market place, but they also own a huge share
in the political system.

Wall Street and the big business concerns are on a first name basis
with politicians, the politicians receive money for their elections from Wall Street and co;
and the politicians give favorable treatment to these interests. This creates an unfair business
climate and more importantly, it is the virtual transfer or the publics property, GOVERNMENT,
into private hands.

Back to the current health of capitalism, it is not very healthy.

The form it is currently occupying is not very pure and it is costing us all lots of money to support.
I think this current corporatist climate is what causes the failures in government and ensures the
steady ruinous results reaped by the financial system in place.

I think all parties can sense that a world where defrauding a whole
country should not constitute a good business plan. Yet that is exactly what we have here,
technically, you can make more money in one day, selling fabricated money, than you can with
a whole life time of real deal hard work. That my friends is not sustainable, so I think it is high
time for all of use to examine this entire system that we have to live in. That is one reason why
OWS is a very valuable thing, it opens a very important dialogue which we can engage in. Or we
can demagogue, I mean there is so much goodness to defend isn't there? We can turn this
dialoge into something great if we consider this current, unsavory situation as a starting point.

America, capitalism and the world needs to reject the bad players that create this folly, that
corrupt the government and take away our say in our government. I think capitalism can
survive a good house cleaning, saying otherwise is ignoring the corruption and filth that
has taken its toll on all of us. The bad actors do not deserve to continue reaping kingly
sums for fraudulent schemes and activities. They should be replaced by good faith parties
and real laws that prevent the future formation of yet another oligopoly in the future.
If you believe that capitalism is a good force, then why do you fear examining and acting
to restoring it's balance? There is no need, the markets and positions I am speaking of
are not free, they are falsely occupied, there is nothing righteous or good to defend there.
What is to fear?

We need light,

Not more smoke

edit on 20-11-2011 by mastahunta because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Deregulation leads to corporate control of the markets, which enables them to suspend the laws of supply and demand, and essentially eliminate competition, and the market system itself.

The U.S. government is supposed to protect the rights of the people, including our property rights, and is why laws regulating business were created in the first place.

The WW II generation knew this, how have we forgotten it.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Deregulation leads to corporate control of the markets, which enables them to suspend the laws of supply and demand, and essentially eliminate competition, and the market system itself.

The U.S. government is supposed to protect the rights of the people, including our property rights, and is why laws regulating business were created in the first place.

The WW II generation knew this, how have we forgotten it.

Well Poet, I really think it was the intellectual rationale of the Reagan era that did a whole
lot to destroy the common sense that use to be a huge part of conservatism. There has
been great efforts extended to convince people that making wealthy people exponentially
more wealthy, through policy would have a cascading effort, thusly enriching everyone else,
trickle down. In this effort it seems like everything has been condensed into its lowliest and
basic forms. Examples we hear

REGULATIONS KILL BUSINESS AND JOBS!

Well, maybe, sometimes... but lets use our brains and think besides just drooling what
pro corporate politicians espouse.

In many places lack of regulations have killed people and passed off responsibility onto the
communities surrounding the deregulated industry. West Virginia, for example is rife with
polluted ground water, which poisons people, inflicts massive expenditures upon everyone
who happens to need water (sarcasm). Do the idiot republicans and conservatives even
care to recognize this??? I mean who pays for the cancer and the kidney disease?

I guess technically when you kill someone, you create a new job opportunity...
In the end, Americans have to purge this mindless idealism from their minds.
My WWII era grandparents were actually common sense and conservative,
not anti thought and embracing of self imposed retardation, conservatives...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
What has government regulation done so far? Mastahunta's video of fiery water shows me that regulation has done both jack AND crap to protect consumers. Since free market, or laissez faire, capitalism has never really been practiced in the U.S., why don't we give it a try?

But you bring up a good point: OWS is acting like a consumer, whereas our corporate government is the business. OWS is showing their displeasure with the current business model, and the model is changing in response (miniscule changes, but still...). In a very twisted way, this whole issue is acting just like free market capitalism should work if left to its own devices.

My head hurts.

/TOA

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
What has government regulation done so far? Mastahunta's video of fiery water shows me that regulation has done both jack AND crap to protect consumers. Since free market, or laissez faire, capitalism has never really been practiced in the U.S., why don't we give it a try?

But you bring up a good point: OWS is acting like a consumer, whereas our corporate government is the business. OWS is showing their displeasure with the current business model, and the model is changing in response (miniscule changes, but still...). In a very twisted way, this whole issue is acting just like free market capitalism should work if left to its own devices.

My head hurts.

/TOA

How can regulation work when you remove it? Or place officials who do not believe in regulation
in charge of regulating? Laissez Faire was practiced in France, which directly preceded a revolution
and tons of violence... Somalia, like it or not DOES currently practice Laissez Faire governing,
the government is so weak in fact, that it does not have total authority over the capital city,
that is a fact. Look what you have there Old American, the rich and violent make all the rules
and have become the law itself. How about ,Trinidad Jamaica, another example of a place
where the power of capital dictates conduct and life in a very pure manner. Or how about
portions of Sao Paulo and Rio? The entire outskirts of Mexico city... All of these places do not have
the luxury of government, they are filthy, the infant mortality rates are throughout the
roof and EXTREME violence is a part of life.

Now, I think institutional the institutional corruption which has been exacted by American corporations
is more than enough to realize that leaving them completely unrestricted will see American freedom dead
in less than 50 years. For example: if a major corporation wrongs you, lets say you become
paralyzed due to necrosis of you nervous system, by the pollution they have introduced
into the watery table... Do you have millions of dollars to litigate such a case?

How about a 500 million dollar nuclear power company, blows the $#@$@ up in a neighboring state
and make your entire community sterile, ruins the water, soil and give over half of you cancer.
Lets say, these same effects are blown across several states?

You realize that many, but certainly not all regulations are born of real world events and situations?

The business model is not changing in any measurable way, you are confusing Micro economic
entities with the prospect of unleashing Oligopoly and thinking free market principle will
regulate them. Oligopoly, Oil, Elite Banking and major Insurance are never in any real
competition, ever. Demand for Oil, Banking and Insurance do not fluctuate much and
therefore market share is fairly stable all the time. Now, deregulating small scale industry
will work because it does not cost 50 Billion dollars to play with the big boys and there
is variety in which to compete with.

Finally, the truth I think you are really ignoring is that, Companies and the elite will
continue to lobby and infiltrate the government and who do they lobby to create
loopholes???

Pro Business politicians who preach Laissez Faire rhetoric, who do you think penned and sponsored
the derivative market which was previously illegal prior to 1999?

Pro Business politicians who preach Laissez Faire rhetoric and the bank and insurance concerns.

What makes you think that enabling and magnifying the concerns that currently control the government
wil creatie better results?

edit on 23-11-2011 by mastahunta because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join