It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we a robotic creation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Forget Aliens for a sec.

Is it possible that robots could actually be among us? Human or...otherwise?

Part I: The Genetic Algorithm

For those that need a kicker: The genetic algorithm is just one part in advanced artificial intelligence. It is an algorithm (a 'sentence' of mathematical formulas and variables the computer translates that we can read easily) that is a key part to advanced AI. The Gen-alg is an algorithm that enables a program to run, and re-run a number of times, improving it's efficiency each time until it reaches a specific quality (or accuracy). It includes factors such as natural selection, reproduction, and mutation to ensure that the program can create the most efficient replication of itself. It will always run, even after it reaches optimum quality, and always keep evaluating itself.

What initially happens is that a population is generated. Each member of this population is called a solution. It is a solution to the problem of achieving a specific efficiency. The members with a better efficiency and quality are selected (as in natural selection) and are paired. The parents are crossed-over and the new member is formed. Typical biology. What I am saying is that, now that we have reached the point where anyone with knowledge in advanced AI and the tools to create are able to create machines that improve themselves, when will we reach the point where we can create a machine that can work to improve itself and has the tools to create ways for itself to improve?

Maybe we already have. Maybe an advanced people who have already had this tech at their disposal already achieved this? With us? All it needs is to be about 100 years ahead of us technologically. Just something to ponder about

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Humans technically are no different from a robot. Except we are made from what we consider organic materials.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
Is it possible that robots could actually be among us? Human or...otherwise?

S&F

I believe our government already utilizes "A.I." to plan stuff. Like computer programs can predict weather patterns, the pentagon/government also uses such computer programs, and by some accounts A.I., to plan war strategies long term, like what to do within 20 or more years. Where to apply what resources in what countries how and when to include more variables faster than any group of generals and colonels could do.

Have a great week mr10k.
edit on 20-11-2011 by ILikeStars because: fix a bb code typo.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Sounds like your talking about the singularity:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join