It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Books For Beginners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'm new to the subject of aliens and UFOs, and so I tried to search ATS to find a book list for those new to the topic with no luck. So what are your recommendations for those who know little to nothing about aliens/UFOs? If I missed a thread that has this then I apologize for cluttering the board, and please post a link.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Equidae

The 12th Planet, The Gods of Eden, Chariots of the Gods

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Whitley Strieber - Communion.

Communion & Visitors Wiki

I can read this book over and over again. The cover haunts me!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by princessgrey
Whitley Strieber - Communion.

Communion & Visitors Wiki

I can read this book over and over again. The cover haunts me!

Is it as bad as The Fourth Kind? I made the mistake of watching that before bed, and ended up having to close the blinds and leave the lights on

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Equidae

That movie did the same thing to me.

With Communion, although he is very descriptive - I find nothing is scarier than your own imagination.

Definitely should be read with the lights on.

Let me know if you find a copy! I'm sure if you have a Chapters [Can] or Borders [Does that exist in US anymore?] I bought mine in a cheap little corner book store for $7.00-ish.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by princessgrey

There's an indie used book store near where I live that has it and a few other of his abduction books. I've had a difficult time finding recommended books since there really isn't anything with more authority than Amazon reviews. I just didn't want to start getting books only to find out they're considered to be a bad representation, written by a charlatan, or really inaccurate.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Equidae

I hear you!

The thing with Whitley Strieber is that before he wrote Communion - he was already a highly acclaimed scholar and author.

So, take that for what you will.

I have a couple more *goes to rummage in closet* I can't find them right now, I've got stuff in boxes - in and out of places for the past two years. I find it easier to just leave things in boxes.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Equidae

Just read any you can get your hands on. Some will send you to sleep, some are exciting, they can be very different.
I like the old 50s and 60s paperbacks like UFOS over Warminster and Flying Saucers and the Three Men and things like that. You can't beat a ufo book filled witness stories. My fave.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Equidae

Equidae, this is a good read when it comes to the UFO/OVNI subject, there are also quite a few other good E-books listed on the thread.

Free E-Book ~ The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects by Captain Edward J. Ruppelt

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Equidae

i read this book years ago about two alien robots orbiting earth during
the time of jesus they did the miracles parted the red sea, burning bush ect
but sorry cant remember the name of the book
so come on somebody please tell us the name of said book
i would love to read it again
its basicly a alien take on the god/jesus thingy
edit on 20/11/2011 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Check out "the day after roswell" for possible insight to where our quantum leap in technology came from. And as mentioned above Von Doniken and Graham Hancock for more "Ancient Aliens" type reading.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I highly recommend "The Custodians" by Delores Cannon. She is a hypnotherapist who had a huge clientle of people with ufo/aliens background. Not just people saying they were abducted, but people saying that they had aliens actually helping and leading them in this lifetime. Delores is probably in her 80's now and has a pile of books to her name. This book taught me more than any other. It's easy to understand and written in a hypotherapy session format. This book continues into the more intense "Convoluted Universe" series of 4 more books. None of her books seem short - all 500 - 700 pages on average. A lot of information to take in, so take your time!

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
The UFO Evidence - edited by Richard Hall (read for free online)
The UFO Controversy in America - by David Jacobs
The UFO Experience - by J. Allen Hynek
Anatomy of a Phenomenon - by Jacques Vallee
UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On the Record - by Leslie Kean
UFOs and the National Security State - by Richard Dolan
The Myth and Mystery of UFOs - by Thomas Bullard
Clear Intent - by Lawrence Fawcett and Barry J. Greenwood

From the Introduction to NICAP's "The UFO Evidence":

In an article for Yale Scientific magazine, April 1963, Dr. J. Allen Hynek (Chief scientific consultant to the Air Force on UFO’s) said: "there are more reports per year now than there were in the early years of the 'flying saucer era'... [UFO reports] have been coming to the Air Force at the rate of better than one a day over the past fifteen years. - The daily press no longer carries such reports, except perhaps as fillers, because monotonously repeated items do not constitute news. But it is just this repetition that is of potential scientific interest." Dr. Hynek added that the intelligence of the UFO witnesses has been "at least average," often "decidedly above average," and sometimes "embarrassingly above average." There are basically two explanations for the consistent, world wide reporting of UFOs every year: (1) widespread and presently unaccountable delusion on a scale so vast that it should be, in itself, a matter of urgent scientific study; (2) people are seeing maneuvering, apparently controlled objects in the atmosphere.

edit on 21-11-2011 by Orkojoker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Unsure if already been mentioned but i recommend: The Roswell Incident by William moore and Charles Berlitz, Dimensions by Jacques Vallee and Above Top Secret by Timothy Good

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Orkojoker

The UFO Evidence - edited by Richard Hall (read for free online)

Orkojoker, I´ll second that one mate -very interesting reading.

Originally posted by Orkojoker
From the Introduction to NICAP's "The UFO Evidence":

...There are basically two explanations for the consistent, world wide reporting of UFOs every year: (1) widespread and presently unaccountable delusion on a scale so vast that it should be, in itself, a matter of urgent scientific study; (2) people are seeing maneuvering, apparently controlled objects in the atmosphere.

Just about sums it up.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thanks everyone! I got Alien Agenda and The Complete Book of UFOs by Jenny Randles from my library. Any opinion on those?

new topics

top topics

join