It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biodomes during hyperinflation.....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

Great Video, love the concept......all that root space, very little worry about pests borrowing in and weeds creeping up, like it! The biodome does something very similar with it base plus gravel layers.

Thanks for all of the videos from everyone! Still watching them all, great feedback. I believe the University of the Virgin Islands has done some consistent research with the Raft systems, with pretty great results....i think it limits the types of things you can grow, but theres less hassle with harvesting and composting and fast turnover with things like lettuce and herbs.
edit on 21-11-2011 by RedbeardedFoo because: this and that

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Black soldier flies are also a good way to convert vegetable matter into protein for feeding chickens, pigs or fish. When they are ready to become flies they crawl out of the compost heap. Some place a ramp so that these lervea crawl up and fall into a collection vessel or maybe even into a fish tank. Natures automated feeder.

Black Soldier Fly Larvae

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I have just finished (yesterday) putting together stage 2 of my aquaponics garden.
( 3 x 220ltr fish tanks/2 44gal drums/3 x 6mtr hydro)
Stage one consisted of our pond which has been in the ground for 2 1/2 years, I put hydropinics over the top and a bath ready for gravel and plants. Most of the plants I put into the system I ripped out of the grass/weed filled ground and just stuck them in the water. They are not dead yet (4 weeks ago) Amazing stuff.

My second stage is for redclaw, using 3 glass fish tanks and aquabridges to connect them, only one pump is needed. This system today is ready for gravel and plants.
The 3rd stage which I'm planning now, is 3 x 900lt tanks and 5 grow beds. I'm going to have perch and possibly barramundi, although these you can catch with a fishing rod on the side of the road in the wet season, so maybe not. I have the tanks ready to go, just requires plumbing and a pump and fish!

I have tried gardening the ole fashioned way and permaculture, and neither of these compare with aquaponics.
There's is basically nothing you can't grow, including potatos! Aquaponics uses 1/10th the water of normal food production.
The fish do what they do best and the plants do what they do best, it's perfect.

The next step is setting up a community garden in our town (am currently working on)and I'm going to donate a system for show in this garden.

I would love to see our nursing homes with a system each of their own, since they are not labour intensive once built, and you don't have to bend, it's ideal for those less capable.
That's my plan anyway...

My fourth stage (at home) will be a system inside with no outside light source, using an aquaponics led light system, in a bathroom downstairs. You essentially use red and blue led lights to grow the food, but I'm interested if fish progress the same way, so that's what I'll be testing.

After this I want to stick my fingers into a salt system, the same principals should apply by filtering through the vegetation.
It's a bug that's bitten me and I'm hooked!
The best thing about it, is most of it can be made from recycled materials.

Great thread OP

new topics

<< 1   >>

join