It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you hate shopping and the lack of etiquette from people? I journeyed to Walmart.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Today, I journeyed over to my local Walmart at mid-afternoon. Please do not berate me for that. I know better , if I shop there, I normally go very early, like 6ish am,. Anyway, I still open doors for people and in general, respectful to others.

The first thing that disgusted me, was the amount of carts floating around the lot. How Lazy are you people to not take your own cart to the easily accessible returns? I do not need a cart of you yours blocking a parking space. Secondly and more importantly, I do not need that cart being caught by the wind slamming my vehicle, along with other patrons. Laziness is not an excuse! I actually grabbed one of those lazy carts to take in.

While in the store, I witnessed so many patrons, blocking aisles like they owned the place. Have respect for other patrons.I moved 5 unattended carts out of my way to get down an aisle. Use your head and place your cart off to a side. Do not block the aisle with you 5 kids also. Do not yap for no reason on the phone hindering my progress. The majority of your phone calls can wait.I would hate to see these people drive. Obey the yield sign for pedestrians!

II do have a little faith, when I opened the door for people, I did actually get a thank you. Be nice to the cashier, they are just earning a living.. Escalate your problem to management, were it will go anyway.
I am by no means picking on Walmart and their clientele. It applies to all stores. Have some respect and act corteous when you go shopping. We all will be happier in the end.

Be civil and courteous this Holiday season and go out of your way to say Thank You.
edit on 11/19/2011 by mugger because: add

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I completely agree. For as much as people complain about the horrible things that happened in the past people back then were more polite and civil in a general society sense.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I agree 100%.
I always move stray carts to the specified holding pens, and it's sad how many times I have to do this.
Also my biggest gripe is the attitude of people in the aisles. They are 75% of the time or more extremely rude.

I always say "Excuse me, sorry" to every single patron I walk past, in case I am in their way.
I always ask my wife to move for people she doesn't see behind her, or I will pull my kids out of the way.

My kids are very young, but they learned from me and always say "Excuse us!" and "Thank you" all of the time. It's the least we can do to improve the quality of life on Earth for other folks.

You know how many people say "Excuse me" or "Thank you" to me? Like 1 out of 1000. No joke. That's how sad and selfish this society really is.

The only people that are respectful towards me are usually old folks, seniors, and they are very impressed with the courtesy of my family.

If you want to make the world a better place, start with yourself. That's how I lead my life and that's how I lead my family.

I won't complain towards others or make comments under my breath, I am nice to others no matter how rude they are to me.
I am the change I want to see.

Good thread, S+F. People need to read this.
1 out of 1000 reflects very poor on society in general.
edit on 19-11-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

I usually don't notice that many stray carts at our Walmart, but the cashiers are sometimes 'less-than-friendly'. It's also typical to hear screaming kids. It's always so crowded so I don't like to go there often.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Look at it like this, how would you feel if you were given a job with barely modest pay and ever so declining benefits, and being made to work Thanksgiving? Sounds like there's a porter position open, but when it gets filled, will their be another cut in benefits?
edit on 19-11-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
You are right that they will just block the isle and not give a crap about anyone else. It is extremely frustrating and it causes me to indeed look down on them.

But I still say "Excuse me, I am sorry".

When in the isle picking your goods to purchase, move your cart over to a side and if someone stands in front of it looking at the goods at that location, say "I am sorry" and move your cart out of their way. This is always important because you want to make life good for everyone and it requires only 2 calories of energy, of which you would expend anyway.

Far too often do I find 2 or 3 people totally line up horizontally and block the entire pathway. This is very commonplace. And highly frustrating.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
The society and politics is a reflection of the conglomeration of each of our individual characters. After witnessing the projectile vomit, horrid behavior of 90% of our population on the road or whenever within effective range, it ideally reflects the status of our country. Godless, brazen, heathens anxious to wallow as deep as possible in each of the "7 deadly sins" every waking moment.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
Look at it like this, how would you feel if you were given a job with barely modest pay and ever so declining benefits, and being made to work Thanksgiving? Sounds like there's a porter position open, but when it gets filled, will their be another cut in benefits?

Just because someone's life sucks does not justify making it suck for others. This is unjustified and unacceptable behavior.

I will always treat random humans with dignity and respect no matter how crappy my life is.

I don't have barely any money, and I struggle daily. But you know what?
I will do what I can to accommodate others and aid them in having a reason to like people for a change.

It's high time we turn this ship around. Every little tiny effort helps.

Someone went home today (I was at the store today), and they are sitting there thinking "Everyone at the store today was a jerk, except that nice young couple I came across in the isle today, they were very nice and friendly and respectful".

I improved someone else's living conditions by merely being a cool person.
That is what life is Really About.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
it's everywhere. I drive about 75 miles a day in my job, and driver courtesy is going downhill as well. fewer people give the thank you wave or even know the rules of the road.

and when I am trying to decide on a product in a market, and step back to see more shelves, anyone walking in front of me used to say "excuse me"

not anymore

edit on 19-11-2011 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

Wait until we get a load of the crowds trampling themselves at opening on Friday the 25th (or Thursday the 24th if WalMart's doing that). All for an iPhone or some piece of cr@p from China. I wish there were livecams on the stores so I could make some popcorn and just watch.
No, then again maybe not.

It is bad enough on a regular day just with regular shopping.

Imagine what people will do to each other if there is a food shortage???

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Beside the scowl on people who are to lazy to place the carts, I have politely asked, "can you please take your cart back as to not hit any vehicles" That can be a fight. I find it better to state to them. "Since you are so lazy to do it yourself, I will do it for them" and replace the cart. Usually shuts most people up.

I have also been scolded for opening a door for ,usually women. Frowns, been told, I can do that myself(in disgust).
My reply," since you do not want me to be courteous to you, please remind me, if I ever see you again to be rude to you." and Smile and say you are Welcome.

This is not about the pay at Walmart, all malls and stores in general. I am speaking about the general lack of civility about people in general. There is enough threads on OWS to go play around in.
Since the Holiday season is upon us, I thought this is apt for posting.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more! It blows my mind just how lazy and rude people can be.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Are you talking about our military? Maybe Police or RN's? If you take the job, you know what it entails and everything associated with it. Anyway, civility and being courteous crosses all spectrums?
edit on 11/19/2011 by mugger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by satron

Just because someone's life sucks does not justify making it suck for others. This is unjustified and unacceptable behavior.

I will always treat random humans with dignity and respect no matter how crappy my life is.

I don't have barely any money, and I struggle daily. But you know what?
I will do what I can to accommodate others and aid them in having a reason to like people for a change.

It's high time we turn this ship around. Every little tiny effort helps.

Someone went home today (I was at the store today), and they are sitting there thinking "Everyone at the store today was a jerk, except that nice young couple I came across in the isle today, they were very nice and friendly and respectful".

I improved someone else's living conditions by merely being a cool person.
That is what life is Really About.

It used to bother me too, but I got over it. I don't think much about stuff like things being disorderly or carts in the way, it's not like they did it to spite you. Places like that like to work with a skeleton crew, so not everything can be spic and span at all times for your royal highness. Let's not kid ourselves, this isn't just a thing you see at Walmart. I shop at my local grocery and I encounter the same things. It might be a little passive aggressive, especially when it's another customer but I just let them be. Think of all the times you're shopping and something just get's on your nerves, when in reality, it was nothing, "Why does it seem like everyone is getting in my way?" It shouldn't be much of a worry until someone actually impinges on your person.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I dont think rudness is a walmart thing. Some areas are just that way. I doubt big K, or target would be better

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I avoid large supermarkets like the plague these days.

But on the odd rare occasion i may pop along to one with freind to pick up a couple of bits i've forgotten or not been able to get elsewhere.

You get smashed into quite a lot with trollies, because people are not looking where they are going. You don't get an apology, just a sneer as if it's all your fault they were not looking where they were going.

The one thing that really makes my blood boil, is seeing how some mothers are with their children. Shouting across the isles "Get over here you bleeping bleep" *whack* .... "No you can't bleeping have that you little bleep" *whack*. Only to find that the same mother is in front of me at the checkout buying the kid exactly what she said she couldn't bleeping buy them in the first place.

No wonder kids are so messed up these days.

edit on 19-11-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger

Are you talking about our military? Maybe Police or RN's? If you take the job, you know what it entails and everything associated with it.

For a lot of people it's their only choice. So people will be bitter about it occasionally.

Anyway, civility and being courteous crosses all spectrums?
edit on 11/19/2011 by mugger because: (no reason given)

Sure it does, but I wouldn't call Walmart or the grocery store uncivilized. Have you witnessed the courtesy shoppers use on Black Friday, what is worse?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Chivalry is dead it seems.

I get surprised looks when I hold a door for someone these days.

People just don't seem to know or care about those around them, on the rare occasion I venture into the city I find myself dodging and weaving around people, I would have expected most normal people to move for a 6'4" 130 kilo person...but no, I have to dodge them, otherwise A. I become the jackhole and B. I'd put them on their arse because they're too ignorant/arrogant to move for the guy twice their size...

Same deal out on the roads! I drive a 5 tonne truck, not huge but much bigger than a car and the attitude of some drivers is ridiculous!

Who in their right mind tries to out muscle a truck and expects to win??

link   
reply to post by satron

You are defending the workers who are paid to be nice, we were griping about the patrons who act like jerks because they think they own the place.

And no matter how many countless arguments you can make against being courteous, there is simply no justification for it.

And yes, many of them do act this way in spite of others, because they hate their lives and so want to be mean towards others in consequence.

For instance, I was sitting in my car about to turn it on and leave the parking lot at a store, and the people behind me rear ended me, than just drove off quickly without even getting out to say sorry.

I memorized their licence plate and turned them in. Hit and run in a parking lot is extreme rudeness.
But apparently it's not very uncommon either.

link   
This is not about Walmart...please...It is about the PATRONS. I just used Walmart because I went there today.
K-mart,Kohls and the rest are included, even my local grocery store.

While I was checking out, my cashier Dolly. who looked in her 70's was wonderful and I had a nice conversation with her, even chatted an few extra minutes with her before leaving. I know I p1ssed off a few people in line behind me and I purposely did so.She didn't even bother with asking for my ID and told me so.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join