It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypersonic weapon: New US bomb kills long before you hear it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I seen this on the news and I thought id share it with ats as I couldnt find this recent event on the site.

The US Army has tested a hypersonic missile, which travels six times faster than the speed of sound. It is part of a larger plan to have the capability to strike any place on the planet within an hour. The missile, called the Advanced Hypersonic Weapon (AHW), was launched from Hawaii on Thursday, the Pentagon reported. A rocket delivered it to suborbital altitude, after which the glider went for its target on the Marshall Islands, some 3,700 kilometers away. It hit less than 30 minutes later, which means its speed was at least 7,400 kilometer per hour, or about Mach 6. An aircraft must be able to fly faster than Mach 5, to qualify as hypersonic.

"the flight is the second for the test vehicle following its maiden flight in April 2010, during which nine minutes of flight data were gathered, including 139 seconds flying at Mach 17-22. Two-way communication and GPS signals were maintained while it flew at 3.6 miles per second."

To be fair, this was also an easier test to pass. Darpa’s Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle 2 — the one that splashed unsuccessfully in the Pacific — was supposed to fly 4,100 miles. The Army’s Advanced Hypersonic Weapon, lifted by a 34-foot, 36,000-pound rocket, went about 60 percent as far, 2,400 miles from Hawaii to its target by the Kwajalein Atoll in the South Pacific. Darpa’s hypersonic glider had a radical, wedge-like shape: a Mach 20 slice of deep dish pizza, basically. The Army’s vehicle relies on a decades-old, conventionally conical design. (See the illustration below.) It’s designed to fly 6,100 miles per hour, or a mere eight times the speed of sound.

travel.usatoday.com...
news.cnet.com...
www.wired.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Oh goody.

Newer silent death from above.

Just what the world needs.

:shk:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by GreatScot

Not happy to hear that US war-machine is just making new bombs to kill innocent people around the world.

I believe that there will be justice for US someday.

This is what US war-machine has already brought to Middle East.

US war-machine's production : US 'kill team' soldier convicted of murder

I hope that this mad war-machine stop as soon as possible by american people.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

it is part of a larger plan to have the capability to strike any place on the planet within an hour.

god help us all!

i'm sure many of you realize what this one line means! especially after the debacle with Obama killing his first US citizen abroad, we can now, all of us, receive the same fate if we turn against.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by hmdphantom

Not happy to hear that US war-machine is just making new bombs to kill innocent people around the world.

I believe that there will be justice for US someday.

This is what US war-machine has already brought to Middle East.

US war-machine's production : US 'kill team' soldier convicted of murder

I hope that this mad war-machine stop as soon as possible by american people.

Foolishness. You believe if America ceased to exist weapons development will halt globally? Perhaps you are envious of our ability to strike and neutralize your military before a response can be launched? I'm glad my country develops the best weapons money can buy, while others settle for less.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Thats interesting and impressive i have to say......

Another thing thats impressive is this went from "New Weaponology" to "Bash America" in less than half a page.

Fantastic.......

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The whole country is broke, in debt, and completely spiraling downhill in a nose-dive... YET, we have the funds to have super high speed missiles as if the current lightning fast ones are all of a sudden not good enough.

The country is [color=gold]going to HELL even FASTER THAN THESE MISSILES GO FOLKS!!!!

Un-flipping-believable.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Is it stealth? cant hear it cant see it.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I wonder what other countries are going to copy this idea, and how long will it take?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by hmdphantom

It's not only the US! Iran kills its fair share of innocents too does it not?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious

Last time I checked, Iran didn't have military bases all over the world and was not engaging in drone missile strikes in several countries simultaneously, thousands of miles from home, against people who have not threatened them.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
To bad we don't invest a small fraction of what we spend on weapons of mass destruction, on developing leaders with the wisdom to use such weapons?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dav1d
To bad we don't invest a small fraction of what we spend on weapons of mass destruction, on developing leaders with the wisdom to use such weapons?

It's called the Federal Student Aid program, works great doesn't it?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Yes, they have this rocket/hyper jet in prototype form and are making big news of it even though it should be super, super secret...wouldn't you think, for a weapon?.

--Why would that be?

Because if you are interested in things seen moving in the sky, you will know that for over twenty years the US and probably now with the UK (with their very evident reductions in their air fleet), have been using the craft commonly called "black triangles."

These craft are radical departures of conventional flying devices. They are mass-canceling vehicles and not true "aircraft" at all. They are revolutionary, what the gasoline engine was to horse-drawn wagons. Many will object to the idea that these new craft are our back-engineered designs of UFOs, but that conclusion is unavoidable to those that can look beyond what they are being told by TPTB.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Well atleast if it hits anyone they wouldn't have to hear it or feel it I assume.
dang thats scary!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

I haven't found any historical proof to support what you say.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Lets See America Bombed Iraq in 1998/1999 Bill Clintin gets a pass, Bill Clintin gets a freacking pass for bombing Serbia for 99 days.

Never mind the kids today who are born without a arm or leg, or even a cow with two heads.

top topics

join