It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clashes Erupt In Cairo Ahead Of Elections

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I'm not Egyptian nor can I speak for Egyptians but they seem very unhappy with this new government. There has been many different instances of violence and clashes under the new government for various reasons. Even democratic elections (if such a thing exists) aren't helping calm the tensions.

Clashes erupt in Cairo ahead of elections

Thousands of police have clashed with protesters for control of downtown Cairo's Tahrir Square, leaving at least 81 people injured and four arrested.

The violence on Saturday comes just nine days before Egypt's first elections since the ouster of Hosni Mubarak, the former president, in February.

In scenes reminiscent of the 18-day uprising, protesters and police forces hurled rocks at each other, and crowds swarmed an armored police truck, rocking it and setting it ablaze.

Witnesses said the violence began when riot police dismantled a small tent camp set up to commemorate protesters killed in the earlier revolt and attacked around 200 peaceful demonstrators who had camped out in the square overnight.

Tens of thousands of people had gathered in Tahrir Square on Friday to denounce Egypt's ruling military council, which has been criticized for its oversight of Egypt's transition period. Protesters are angry with alleged attempts by the military to grant themselves special powers over the next elected government.

Sounds like their current military government is just as bad if not worse than the Mubarak regime.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
by "beheading" your leader and not having a REAL alternative things will go back to pre-revolution because most other instances like the industrials are still the same people and the old folks will replace the gaps...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
There's gonna be a bloodbath.

miIlitary think they run the place now.

Hundreds have been injured. 1 confirmed dead

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

Things will go back to per-revolution state mostly because of the pressures from the USA, Israel. The problem is creating a ravenous Islamic state (once again the Saudi Arabia is creating the mess by financing these movements).

I do not support religion of any kind mixed with government, and do not have anything special against Islam (in relation to any other religion), all organized religions are detrimental to mankind.

But having Egypt fall into the hands of a Islamic party is not in the best interests of the region and the West, much as I would like to see Israel's government in trouble (anything that happens to Israel is its own fault and creation).

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

I hope it doesn't get too bloody. I was reading some tweets coming out of there and it seems pretty heavy handed.

I can't find an actual live stream so I'm guessing it may have dispersed. I will post any updated that I come across.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Here is the latest update:

Egypt protests: Deadly clashes in Cairo's Tahrir Square

At least one person has been killed and more than 600 wounded in fierce clashes between protesters and security forces in central Cairo.

top topics

join